Long Guard Shifts - Fatigue and Psychological Factors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read an article on fatigue.
    Many events have happened because of fatigue and human error, being awake for even 21 hours could equally impair as much as a reading of .08 would. Of course, exceptions are everywhere.

Major events like:
    Chernobyl - april 25 1986, happened at 0123hrs
    Three mile island - march 28 1979, 0400hrs
    Exxon Valdez - march 24 1989, 0015hrs (more error than fatigue...)
    Gulf War 1991 - more friendly fire deaths than from enemy, half from fatigue
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Comment

Here in California it would expensive. Anything over 8 hours is time & 1/2, over 12 hours is doubletime. Where I work under emergency circumstances we are allowed to work up to 12 hours, but never more. we have never had a situation where a relief couldn't be found by the end of 12 hours.
      "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
        Here in California it would expensive. Anything over 8 hours is time & 1/2, over 12 hours is doubletime. Where I work under emergency circumstances we are allowed to work up to 12 hours, but never more. we have never had a situation where a relief couldn't be found by the end of 12 hours.
        I have someone on vacation this week. The replacement FORGOT he was scheduled last night so here I am just about to go to bed after a 16 hour shift. Boy am I tired
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

David D's Unanswered Question

The rotational tours of duty have been advocated by several major studies as to when "conditioned response" occurs.
          Long before these studies were undertaken, the British Armed Forces instituted the rotational sequences. When stationed in England in the late 1950s, this rotational system was already in place. As I found out, a member of the Ministry for Military Affairs was a psychologist of some renown and that requirement was written into the "Manual of Instruction."
          Our military and industry leaders will not adopt this idea until it is forced upon them as it did in England. Instructions may be given, but then there are the ubiquitous staff studies and that is where it will die.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Guard Shifts

So many times I am "bored out of my gourd" when I'm working a double. It can be tough to find a happy medium. Working 911/police dispatch meant rushing the entire shift to keep up with the volume of calls and working security means hours and hours of boredom, interspersed with a few minutes of terror. What to do.....?
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Fatigue and psyc factors are dirrectly linked to your ability to perform. Some agencies realize this and place limits on the amount of hours worked per day. A prime example of this is the nuclear industry. The NRC mandates that you can work a max of 16 hours in any 24 hour period, 24 hours in any 48 hour period and 72 hours in any rolling 7 day period. In addition to this you are required to have ten hours off inbetween shifts worked. This was an intellegent approach by a federal agency that does not have their head up their fourth point of contact.
              Of course there are times where operational abilities require this to be pushed aside but each time that this occurs the NRC must be notified and they do investigate why this occured. There are also times (military for example) when this type of thinking is not used. The question was also asked how public safety gets away with 24 hour shifts and that is a hole that has been in the law for a long time.
              Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                Same here. Working a 24-hour shift is illegal in CT. I offered once when the company was short-handed and I was advised about the law. Actually, I prefer 16-hour shifts as opposed to 8 on, 8 off, and then 8 back on.

I also work in the state of Connecticut and advised of this law. The company I just finished working for, would not allow us to work more than 16 hr shifts, we had to have 8 hours off inbetween and no more than 64 hrs in a week.

The company I currently work for is that we are not allowed to work more than 12 hours in a shift continuously and no more than 60 hours in a week. Believe it or not, many officers are opposed to this because it puts strict limits on the overtime they can earn which is well known that to make money in security, working overtime is the way to do it.

Comment

My favorite schedule ever, bar none, was 4 days x 12 and 3 days off. We got 8 hours OT every week, reliably. Twelves were practically like 8 as far as I could tell, and I really loved having 3 days off because you could do something fun with it (like get your line wet or bag a deer). When we went back to a "normal" 5 x 8 + 8 OT schedule, it was the same amount of hours every week so you still got your OT, but we all hated it because now we only had one day off! What a difference a schedule can make.
                  Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-11-2006, 08:00 PM.
                  "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

How about this one:
                    3-swing shifts (12 hrs), 3-grave shifts (12 hr shifts), then 3 days off.

I don't think many of you would like that one - yet the experienced military folks will easily recognize it as - well common. I hated the 6 in a row - but the 3 days off was heaven!
                    RJ Martin

"A Guiding Force In The Pursuit Of Protection & Peace Of Mind"
                    www.martinprotective.com

Comment

Originally posted by NUCGUY
                      Fatigue and psyc factors are dirrectly linked to your ability to perform. Some agencies realize this and place limits on the amount of hours worked per day. A prime example of this is the nuclear industry. The NRC mandates that you can work a max of 16 hours in any 24 hour period, 24 hours in any 48 hour period and 72 hours in any rolling 7 day period. In addition to this you are required to have ten hours off inbetween shifts worked. This was an intellegent approach by a federal agency that does not have their head up their fourth point of contact.
                      Of course there are times where operational abilities require this to be pushed aside but each time that this occurs the NRC must be notified and they do investigate why this occured. There are also times (military for example) when this type of thinking is not used. The question was also asked how public safety gets away with 24 hour shifts and that is a hole that has been in the law for a long time.
                      NUCGUY:
                      Your point is well taken. The military has an exercise called "the crucible" wherein they push trainee for 50+hours with minimum of rest, food and drink. My experience is the USAF and during an Operational Readiness Inspection (ORI), you are pushed simulating wartime conditions. You would be surprised just what you are capable of doing in such a situation.
                      NRC and DOE have what they call Technical Proficiency Inspection (TPI) and it is no cakewalk.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X