Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why wear ID badges /Photo Id's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why wear ID badges /Photo Id's?

    I'm not aware of any security professional that does not have a ID policy. But, now that I have your attention please feel free to share your input as it applies.

    I work for a Pharmaceutical Co. and it's standard policy to wear and visually display your photo Id. Unfortunately, not everyone is receptive to this imposing inconvenience... (Including individuals at the executive level) I have communicated this policy as well as an awareness article. What are some of the methods you use to enforce your ID policies?


    (Damned if you do damned if you don't)

  • #2
    Originally posted by Hold it!
    I'm not aware of any security professional that does not have a ID policy. But, now that I have your attention please feel free to share your input as it applies.

    I work for a Pharmaceutical Co. and it's standard policy to wear and visually display your photo Id. Unfortunately, not everyone is receptive to this imposing inconvenience... (Including individuals at the executive level) I have communicated this policy as well as an awareness article. What are some of the methods you use to enforce your ID policies?
    Politely remind them of the policy. And if they still refuse we follow them to their work area and speak with the supervisor on duty - plus there'll be a log entry our Director sees and takes action on at his level. Of course I haven't had to go that far yet over ID, they've all made it visible when reminded.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you,

      Appreciate your input... Does your company also require employees to have vehicle identification in the form of a permit or decal?

      Comment


      • #4
        I still don't understand why in my industry, hotels, the wearing of photo id is NOT common. Most hotels still only use nametags with the hotel logo & employees name. I have even heard of cases where people have found nametags & used them to gain entrance to hotel rooms. Raymond C. Ellis with the University of Houston is the "dean" of hotel security. I'm going to e-mail him the question & see what he thinks.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hold it!
          Thank you,

          Appreciate your input... Does your company also require employees to have vehicle identification in the form of a permit or decal?
          Yes, by policy all employees are suppose to register their vehicle and get a parking tag. Not all do this however. If they don't register the vehicle there is no action we can take as we can't identify the owner without sending requests to the state motor vehicle division.

          It is a problem we have yet found a solution to since we are not permitted to cite employees for failing to register their vehicles (this is considered too harsh).
          "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hold it!
            I'm not aware of any security professional that does not have a ID policy. But, now that I have your attention please feel free to share your input as it applies.

            I work for a Pharmaceutical Co. and it's standard policy to wear and visually display your photo Id. Unfortunately, not everyone is receptive to this imposing inconvenience... (Including individuals at the executive level) I have communicated this policy as well as an awareness article. What are some of the methods you use to enforce your ID policies?


            (Damned if you do damned if you don't)
            Hold it:
            If the senior leadership or management do not themselves believe in the policy you will have an uphill battle. Having said that, ask your director of security if they have read the recent memoranda from DEA and FDA on positive identification prior to entry into facilities that manufacture, drug wholesale distribution centers and sales representatives must display valid issued identification while in the performance of their duties to assure positive identification. These documents came about to stem the tide of counterfeit drugs entering the system.
            If not mistaken, the Federal Register contains these memoranda and added to the CFR.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bill Warnock
              Hold it:
              If the senior leadership or management do not themselves believe in the policy you will have an uphill battle. Having said that, ask your director of security if they have read the recent memoranda from DEA and FDA on positive identification prior to entry into facilities that manufacture, drug wholesale distribution centers and sales representatives must display valid issued identification while in the performance of their duties to assure positive identification. These documents came about to stem the tide of counterfeit drugs entering the system.
              If not mistaken, the Federal Register contains these memoranda and added to the CFR.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill
              Bill,

              Where can I locate this DEA /FDA memorandum?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hold it!
                Bill,

                Where can I locate this DEA /FDA memorandum?
                Hold it!
                Please contact Ausiello, David C. [David.C.Ausiello@usdoj.gov]
                David Ausiello
                Public Affairs Specialist/Web Content Manager
                DEA Congressional and Public Affairs
                (202) 307-5196
                If I am not mistaken he can give you the correct information.
                If you prefer, send the request to:
                Drug Enforcement Administration
                Attn: David C. Ausiello
                Public Affairs Specialist
                700 Army Navy Drive
                Arlington, VA 2202
                Before I retired the US Marshals Service was in 600. DEA grew so big they needed the entire complex. After retiring they moved USMS to Crystal City in quarters once occupied by one of the US Navy Commands, Naval Air I think.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                  Hold it:
                  If the senior leadership or management do not themselves believe in the policy you will have an uphill battle. ...................
                  Enjoy the day,
                  Bill
                  Bill correctly identified one of the challenges that many of us in corporate security face. When management takes such matters seriously, then it's relatively easy to deal with uncooperative employees. However, when senior management refuses to sign in or display ID because they are "privileged," then I refuse to make an issue out of it.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One thing to think about is..
                    What do the SOs orders say..ie "No Admittance without Proper ID Display" or something to that nature then DON'T LET THEM IN! This goes for anyone.

                    Yes you will get chewed on by some of the Elitist but it is better than being fined or worse if a DEA or FDA inspector observes a No ID admittance.

                    Being a DEA and FDA governed site I would say that is the policy.

                    Just my 2 cents

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ACP01
                      One thing to think about is..
                      What do the SOs orders say..ie "No Admittance without Proper ID Display" or something to that nature then DON'T LET THEM IN! This goes for anyone.

                      Yes you will get chewed on by some of the Elitist but it is better than being fined or worse if a DEA or FDA inspector observes a No ID admittance.

                      Being a DEA and FDA governed site I would say that is the policy.

                      Just my 2 cents
                      ACP01:
                      Your two cents are diamond encrusted gold pieces! DEA has filed papers and prosecuted several firms for sloppy security, horrible records of not only the manufactured product but past and present employees and lack of background investigations.
                      It is real dumb to walk around with a hand grenade with the safety pin removed and the only thing that keeps it from exploding is the spoon hopefully pressed against the palm. In today's world, ignoring DEA is just like carrying a live grenade and letting it slip from a sweaty palm.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by aka Bull
                        Yes, by policy all employees are suppose to register their vehicle and get a parking tag. Not all do this however. If they don't register the vehicle there is no action we can take as we can't identify the owner without sending requests to the state motor vehicle division.

                        It is a problem we have yet found a solution to since we are not permitted to cite employees for failing to register their vehicles (this is considered too harsh).
                        This is the way it needs to be done. It such a simple way to make sure unauthorized vehicles are not on site. Asking employees and contractors to complete a registration form allows for easy entry into a computer database so that plates can be run in-house. So simple and yet, often neglected.

                        Incidentally, I'm not a fan of the generic parking badges that hang on the mirror, etc. It's too easy for anyone to get them from a supplier and slip in. I like the customized ones (w/ company name and logo) that you stick on the inside of the windshield. That prevents loss and theft. It also minimizes the possibility of someone sneaking in.
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mr. Security
                          Incidentally, I'm not a fan of the generic parking badges that hang on the mirror, etc. It's too easy for anyone to get them from a supplier and slip in. I like the customized ones (w/ company name and logo) that you stick on the inside of the windshield. That prevents loss and theft. It also minimizes the possibility of someone sneaking in.
                          Agreed. Ours are not generic, they have the hosptal emblem imprinted on them.
                          "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by aka Bull
                            Agreed. Ours are not generic, they have the hosptal emblem imprinted on them.
                            aka Bull and Mr. Security you have written what security managers must impress in senior leadership. I would like to add one thing more to complete the circle. Every six months, more or less depending on the threat, change the the color, number system and design of whatever ID you issue. Security ID should not have an indefinite life. Security personnel must be on their toes. "Mine is an old one and I haven't had time to replace it," is a reasonable excuse for the first 30 days to cover leave, the sick, lame and lazy; the excuse is unacceptable thereafter.
                            Whatever you do, if there is reserve parking do not have designators identifying the person or title of position parking space. For if you do, why not just put up a sign stating, Place Bomb Here!
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bill, I really like the grenade thought! VERY true!

                              If the site has a tiered clearance system the ID/badge display would also quickly let everyone know when an intruder is in the area whether it be someone from shipping just checking with production about a late running order to be shipped or a low-tier Lab type alone in a high-tier accounts area.

                              Either way an explanation and/or call to Security is in order.

                              Comment

                              300x250

                              Collapse

                              Mid 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Super Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X