Laptop and PDA Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop and PDA Security

[email protected]www.segullsecurity.com E-mail: [email protected]www.segullsecurity.com E-mail: [email protected]

Another nicely written article!

?The office is the most common place laptops are stolen, tallying 29 percent of all laptop disappearances worldwide, according to a recent survey by mobile data security provider Credant Technologies."
    So very true!

One solution we came up with for a client that kept losing a significate amount of portable devices per year from the facility, was RFID. We tagged everything and had it report to the access control system. If you needed to take it with you, you had to check it out with your access card at a designated exit door, otherwise the place lit up like a christmas tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinsol

?The office is the most common place laptops are stolen, tallying 29 percent of all laptop disappearances worldwide, according to a recent survey by mobile data security provider Credant Technologies."
      So very true!

One solution we came up with for a client that kept losing a significate amount of portable devices per year from the facility, was RFID. We tagged everything and had it report to the access control system. If you needed to take it with you, you had to check it out with your access card at a designated exit door, otherwise the place lit up like a christmas tree.
      That's a great idea, I like it. Another one is the little stickers you buy at Office Depot of all places, that say:
      This PDA is registered. A reward is offered for its safe return. Please go to "blah" or call 1-800-bla-blah.

People are motivated to turn things in by money.

Also, products like PDA Defense for the PalmOS also make a difference. The average street criminal wants to pawn a PDA, not crack its secrets. This also deters information warfare personnel, because the PDA is a ticking timebomb, one too many invalid logins, and it wipes the RAM. Even if you can open it and read the RAM chips, its all blowfish encrypted.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Crinsol

So very true!

I second the "That's a great idea, I like it." comment. I'll keep it in mind in case it becomes a problem here. Thanks!
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X