No announcement yet.

Paul Allen sued by former security staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember reading about a case where a judge stated that in their situation that certain actions by a group of security officers in dealing with a certain video clip was unethical but not illegal. 'and it was a public area so what did you think you were doing.'

But where I work -mostly- you have no Right to Work as a security officer. It is possible to have your licence pulled without explanation, so if someone in that situation finds themselves pulled to the edge. Posssibly even over the known edge of vaguely written morality or ethics clauses to local regulation the only response may require a lawsuit to "prove" hey guys it wasn't me and I'm fighting it.
    Over a quarter century prowling the lines and guarding the treasure.
    REAVERS; "We are the big dogs Behave or else"
    Else:
    MILITARY "or we will stop YOU, and bury whats left."
    LEO; "or we will STOP you, and drag you to his Honor."
    SECURITY; "or we will stop IT, and kick you and your donkey out of here."
    Drake Darkwood

Comment

The allegations are very vague, but include illegal acts. I'm very interested in seeing where this goes and what the exact reasons were. I helped manage a company (training new staff, oversee accounts e.tx.) which turned out to be a major charlie fox-trot. The owner had no license to operate, convicted felon and used the image of this company to conduct illegal acts. Even with all that I didn't see a reason to pursue litigation against them. Report them to appropriate authorities yes. I'm sure more information will be leaked if this goes anywhere.
      Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
        Whatever. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and you're quite right that if our own integrity is being compromised we have might have to make a choice about our ongoing employment. I'm just not sure that you can sue an employer because he doesn't happen to conform to your personal ideas about what's "ethical" or not. If so, it would be a rather weird legal theory of liability - and it would be a mess to enforce because there can be many perfectly legitimate disagreements between employers and employees about a whole host of "ethical" questions. At the same time, the courts enforce the law. Courts will not enforce someone's notion of "ethics" (unless that "unethical" behavior also involves a question of illegality, etc.).
        Big "if," but IF this is all it is, then I agree with you. But there may be more to this than a simple disagreement about right and wrong.

Comment

What organizations might these be?
          In Quebec if you are not a member of a union the Normes du Travail lawyers will fight labour issues for an employee at no charge to the employee.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
            In Quebec if you are not a member of a union the Normes du Travail lawyers will fight labour issues for an employee at no charge to the employee.
            Only certain types of actions, HS.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Only certain types of actions, HS.
              Must you always one up?

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking, but it sounds like you're taking something personally. We're having a discussion here, and the information that HS gave in his statement was not entirely accurate. It needed to be modified by what I posted so that people don't get the wrong information (and it was specifically addressed to him, incidentally - not to you).

I know you're a newbie on the forum, so I'll overlook this little social faux pas. In the future, if you have some kind of a personal problem with a member of the forum, please address it directly with that individual by using the PM function. It doesn't belong on the public forum.
                Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-04-2011, 04:43 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking, but it sounds like you're taking something personally. We're having a discussion here, and the information that HS gave in his statement was not entirely accurate. It needed to be modified by what I posted so that people don't get the wrong information (and it was specifically addressed to him, incidentally - not to you).

I know you're a newbie on the forum, so I'll overlook this little social faux pas. In the future, if you have some kind of a personal problem with a member of the forum, please address it directly with that individual by using the PM function. It doesn't belong on the public forum.
                  If someone said the sky is blue one could argue that it is not always so, but is it worth explaining? There are always exceptions. It's nothing personal, but it's annoying when someone seems to have to clarify every vague point, feel a need to correct "social faux pas," or frequently behave condescending toward the opinions of others. In our line of work, it's best to examine inward and examine our past when asked a question about ourselves, before jumping directly in the direction of an answer. It doesn't take long to notice this kind of stuff about people.

Are you a moderator? I occasionally experience "little social faux pas." I don't sugar coat my responses because it's a waste of time. I'm often very dirtect and it rubs people the wrong way sometimes. But it's been effective for me in the past and it's my prefered style. You'll probably have to continue forgiving my "little social fauz pas" in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by HC_Security View Post
                    If someone said the sky is blue one could argue that it is not always so, but is it worth explaining? There are always exceptions. It's nothing personal, but it's annoying when someone seems to have to clarify every vague point, feel a need to correct "social faux pas," or frequently behave condescending toward the opinions of others. In our line of work, it's best to examine inward and examine our past when asked a question about ourselves, before jumping directly in the direction of an answer. It doesn't take long to notice this kind of stuff about people.

Are you a moderator? I occasionally experience "little social faux pas." I don't sugar coat my responses because it's a waste of time. I'm often very dirtect and it rubs people the wrong way sometimes. But it's been effective for me in the past and it's my prefered style. You'll probably have to continue forgiving my "little social fauz pas" in the future.
                    Are you aware that you can simply put me on your "ignore" list rather than suffer this terrible annoyance? Just go into your account panel and you'll see how to do this (click the "Edit Ignore List" link in the menu on the left). I'm exercising that prerogative myself right now, in fact. (And congratulations. Very few have made it to my ignore list, and no one else has managed it before they had even made 15 posts!)
                    Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-06-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Besides Curtis I've learned alot about this industry from posts that sectrainer has made, including times he's made me aware that information I was relayed is in fact false. He's not arrogant about it or rude so i do not see the problem.
                      Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X