X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireRanger
    replied
    TakRail,
    SGMNOW.com sells template forms and documents to include template contracts. I would suggest that if you use them, that you run the template with your changes made to it through your legal counsel.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    TakRail, I'm sure it's unintentional but what you're asking is a bit out of line - first, because people have significant $$ investments in their service agreements, and second because there are competitive and intellectual property issues linked up with service agreements, among others. And I don't think many of their corporate attorneys would be thrilled to know that they're passing these legal documents around.

However, I also understand what you're saying about having a starting framework rather than starting from scratch. You're quite right that there isn't any reason to reinvent the wheel - especially at legal counsel rate$.

I suggest that you pick up a copy of any of the security management books that have "model service agreements" - such as Rethinking Corporate Security in the Post 9/11 Era by Dennis Dalton. See Appendix B. It's $48, which is a bargain considering you'd spend that just walking into the attorney's office.

One nice thing about this book is that it also has a "model request for security services" (Appendix A), so it shows you the sort of thing that you might expect when you are looking at an RFP or RFQ prepared from the other side (the client side). This is important because when you're dealing with a competitive bidding situation where the client has prepared a "solicitation document", regardless of what "stock" service agreement YOU might have, your bid AND ultimately the service agreement for that job - if you win the job - will have to comply with the specifications of the solicitation in every detail. If not, your bid can be deemed "nonresponsive" and thrown out.

The solicitation documents - and particularly the specifications - are then used to prepare the actual contract for services, and because of that it will be unique to that specific client and that specific business relationship. (As you might guess, that's why it's wise to have your counsel run his eye over solicitation documents before you bid on them.)

In other words, as a rule you will not be able to use your "stock" service agreement in such situations anyway, except for possibly some "boilerplate" provisions from it, so don't imagine you're going to be plopping your "standard" agreement down in front of clients and saying "Take it or leave it" when it comes to bid situations.

FWIW, consultants are in a bit different situation from service providers in this respect. Consulting solicitations are more likely to specify the desired outcomes the client wants to achieve, and the responding consultant has more leeway to specify terms as to which services he will perform to achieve those outcomes, and how. Since consultants typically perform a cluster of services in which they are highly specialized, they can often use a "standard" agreement (which can be modified by including a variety of different "stock" paragraphs to suit the specific situation).

Service contracts, on the other hand, are quite likely to tell the contractor exactly when to jump, and precisely - to the inch - how high he will jump.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nauticus
    replied
    I would recommend you starting from scratch. I spent a few thousand dollars on the templates I have (having a lawyer write it, and another read and critique it), and I still get lawyers to consult on the document prior to signing it with any new clients, to ensure that all of the little additions and everything is good.

Every security company is different, so what works for me may not work for you, and so forth.

It's expensive, but if you're starting a security company, it's always good to start it right.

Leave a comment:

• TakRail
    started a topic Contracts

Contracts

Does anyone have a services agreement/contract you would willing to share?

I understand that I would have to tailor it to fit my needs if need be and have a consultation with an attorney before it is actually used, but it would be a great help to get a jump on it versus starting from scratch.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X