Company vehicles and traveling on Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company vehicles and traveling on Business

Let's say you as a business owner are going to be traveling to various trade shows (or trade shows of specific markets that you intend to target. I.e. I am targeting special events so I plan on going to events like the 2011 Amusement Expo) and decide that instead of renting a vehicle you will purchase a new vehicle with special graphics for trade show / advertisement purposes. My question is if I drive a marked company vehicle that clearly says "security" on it, could I be fined for breaking that states codes if my vehicle does not meet that state or locales rules regarding "security vehicles". Like in Cali you have to have PPO and I believe Private Security or something on vehicles. Just wandering is all, because the vehicle is only used to transport booth and marketing materials. I mean if I did drive a big black truck that said ABC security, Colorado's preimer special events security provider on it with colo tags with no intent of providing services in Cali, is that breaking their rules?
    Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

It doesn't seem like it would break any laws down here. After all, you wouldn't be providing any kind of service, so you would be clear.
    A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

While certain states specify what security vehicles operating as such within their borders MUST display (e.g., I believe Oklahoma requires security vehicles to display the word "SECURITY" in letters of certain dimensions), the law does not PROHIBIT other vehicles from exhibiting that word. As a rule, the only words that are prohibited from being displayed on private vehicles are those related to law enforcement: "POLICE", "SHERIFF", etc.

Bottom line: "No problemo".

HOWEVER...there might be another problemo. I would be a bit concerned about the vehicle being targeted (vandalism, etc.) in hotel/motel parking lots, etc., so be careful where you stay and where you park.
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Quebec law requires that signage on vehicles be in French. (You can have other languages but the French lettering must be larger). This does not mean that if you were to visit Quebec you would have to conform to this law. I imagine the same rules would apply in your case.

The only timne I've heard of someone having to cover something up was a former fire chief from when my borough was it's own city & had it's own fire department. The chief had an unmarked car with a permanent red flasher on top. He used to have to put a hood over the red flasher when he left the city.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

You should be fine, as long as you act within confines of the law of course. The regulations are for those vehicles registered in that state. I am getting a new company vehicle in January and plan to just get some magnets for the doors with my company logo on it when I need it in a official or marketing capacity or can take them off when I sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wethington8093 View Post
            You should be fine, as long as you act within confines of the law of course. The regulations are for those vehicles registered in that state. I am getting a new company vehicle in January and plan to just get some magnets for the doors with my company logo on it when I need it in a official or marketing capacity or can take them off when I sell it.
            IMHO, this is not really the best idea due to the potentially catastrophic outcome if a sign is stolen and then misused by someone - say, in the commission of a crime.

The vinyl decals they make these days can be removed without damage to vehicle paint, or with minimal touch-up required. The people who apply them know best how to do this. They use a heat gun, sometimes certain chemicals for the residual glue, and others have special tools for decal removal. Most of us have seen instances where this wasn't done right and might have gotten the wrong idea about decal removal.

In any case, I'd rather have to repaint a door than lose a security vehicle sign that represents my company. I might feel differently if it was a sign for a florist's shop.
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-21-2010, 08:50 AM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

You will be perfectly fine as long as you conform to the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered. They can not pull you over, fine you, or do anything else to you just for visiting another state. If you get contracted to provide services in another state then thats another story.
              National Protective Agency
              Auburn Maine
              1-800-292-4965
              www.nationalprotective.net

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherneck View Post
                You will be perfectly fine as long as you conform to the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered. They can not pull you over, fine you, or do anything else to you just for visiting another state. If you get contracted to provide services in another state then thats another story.
                Best answer so far!

Just like tint laws, the state where the car is registered may have it legal, but another state you visit can not fine you because they think its too dark.
                "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

If you are just transporting booths and marketing materiels, then why does it need to be "marked"? And yes, an out of state "security" car should expect to be pulled over and checked out by the local LE. We want to make sure that it's not stolen or being misused.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwestern View Post
                    If you are just transporting booths and marketing materiels, then why does it need to be "marked"?

Here ya go:

Originally posted by FireRanger View Post
                    Let's say you as a business owner are going to be traveling to various trade shows (or trade shows of specific markets that you intend to target. I.e. I am targeting special events so I plan on going to events like the 2011 Amusement Expo) and decide that instead of renting a vehicle you will purchase a new vehicle with special graphics for trade show / advertisement purposes.
                    A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Originally posted by jtwestern View Post
                      If you are just transporting booths and marketing materiels, then why does it need to be "marked"? And yes, an out of state "security" car should expect to be pulled over and checked out by the local LE. We want to make sure that it's not stolen or being misused.
                      This vehicle isn't going to be marked like a regular patrol unit. This vehicle is going to have a collage of pictures with my logo and company motto being prominently displayed, kind of like a mobile magazine ad or billboard. If you have the money it is amazing what one can do on the side of a truck these days.
                      Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X