IACSP Conference - Washington, D.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IACSP Conference - Washington, D.C.

The International Association of Counterterrorism for Security Professionals - Washington, DC Group is presenting a free conference.

The February 28, 2008 IACSP Conference will be held at:
    Alion Science & Technology, 1100 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Suite 200, Washington, DC

This is a great opportunity to network with your colleagues in DHS , DOD and stakeholders. Speakers and presenters include:

Mr. James M. Loy - the Cohen Group
    Former Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security (2003-2005)

Mr. Robert B. Stephan - Department of Homeland Security
    Assistant Secretary
    Infrastructure Protection

Dr. Ayman Wasfy - CEO Nevine LLC. Noted Arabic Linguist deciphers statements from terrorist organizations

Mr. David Cid - Deputy Director
    Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism (MIPT)

Mr. Dennis Smith - Retired New York City firefighter and best-selling writer

Mr. Jeff Beatty - IACSP Washington DC Chapter Special Advisor
    President and CEO TotalSecurity.US. Jeff is a former Army Delta Force Officer (wounded in first Blackhawk shot down) who earned a Purple Heart and a Combat Infantry Badge helping to rescue hundreds of Americans.

Forum Agenda and Registration at: http://www.redteamone.com/securityforum.html

I will be attending this conference and look forward to meeting any SIW fourm members who will be in attendance.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

If I can get away for the full day I will be there.
    www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
      The International Association of Counterterrorism for Security Professionals Washington, DC Group is presenting a free conference.

The February 28, 2008 IACSP Conference will be held at:
      Alion Science & Technology, 1100 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Suite 200, Washington, DC

This is a great opportunity to network with your colleagues in DHS , DOD and stakeholders. Speakers and presenters include:

Mr. James M. Loy - the Cohen Group
      Former Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security (2003-2005)

Mr. Robert B. Stephan - Department of Homeland Security
      Assistant Secretary
      Infrastructure Protection

Dr. Ayman Wasfy - CEO Nevine LLC. Noted Arabic Linguist deciphers statements from terrorist organizations

Mr. David Cid - Deputy Director
      Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism (MIPT)

Mr. Dennis Smith - Retired New York City firefighter and best-selling writer

Mr. Jeff Beatty - IACSP Washington DC Chapter Special Advisor
      President and CEO TotalSecurity.US. Jeff is a former Army Delta Force Officer (wounded in first Blackhawk shot down) who earned a Purple Heart and a Combat Infantry Badge helping to rescue hundreds of Americans.

Forum Agenda and Registration at: http://www.redteamone.com/securityforum.html

I will be attending this conference and look forward to meeting any SIW fourm members who will be in attendance.
      Hey, fantastic! I just can't get enough of these YACOTECs - Yet Another Conference on the East Coast. We're used to this...seems like almost no one in the "conference" business is aware that Seattle (and Portland) are enormous markets and we even have airports - modern ones, with publick johns and wastebaskets and everything like that there.

'Course, we don't have that there new-fangled "radar" yet, but we got Pop Olson sitting out at the fence with a tin can and a string. He's blind, of course, but he kin heer a tick walkin around on a hound dog, so if he ain't been sippin on his cough syrup he almost allwayze lets us know whenever one of them there aireo-planey things is coming in. And yew will prolly call me a lier, but we added 20 foot to the runway last year so's we could handle them Jennies. Blimps are welcum too.

And if yew want a place to stay, why we got a real snazzy 20-room hotel and resteront called "Sleep & Eats". It used to be Will Gandy's pig sty, but he got blowed up over to the glue factory and didn't have no kin, so we took over the place and cleaned it up pretty good if I do say so, providin yer not too particular. We sure would like to fill it up with some of that there konferense bizzinuss!

So come on, y'all!! Just call the Seattle operator (Phoebe) and if she ain't over to Doc Willoughby's with her lumbago or gettin her dye job touched up, she'll kunneckt yew right up with one of our rezervation speshullusts.

NOTE: By town ordninces, no weppons are aloud. Viztors can leeve there guns and buffilow skinnin knifes with Sharrif Dingle at his offus if he ain't over to the Hair of the Dawg saloon.
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 01-06-2008, 08:55 AM.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

This conference is being put on by the "Washington, DC chapter" - thus the location of the conference.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

This conference is being put on by the "Washington, DC chapter" - thus the location of the conference.
          I'm sure you understood the general point I was making, Curtis - it had nothing to do with your specific event. Whether this YACOTEC happens to be locally sponsored is unimportant - the point is that whether it's a national organization that never brings an event to Seattle or the increased difficulty we have here in attracting "outside experts" to our own events, the fact remains that our region suffers from the fact that the expertise - especially government expertise - is concentrated in the East, and particularly around DC. The concentration is understandable, of course, but in the age of air travel this should not result in what I see as a great disparity in access to these people for our events...and that is what I was lampooning in my post. We are the forgotten corner of the country, but we're not some backwater.

It isn't just travel, either. Our industry has been very slow to adopt the simple technologies now available to securely produce conference Webinars and thereby reach national audiences, which mystifies me even more. Fortunately, a few in our field are beginning to figure it out as other industries show the way, and I am hoping the trend continues. ASIS is also very smart to record their annual conference sessions and produce CD's - another alternative.

My message is to Experts and Event Sponsors: See if you can locate one of the airports in DC and you'll probably find there are flights to Seattle...not just to Los Angeles or San Francisco. Failing that, see what technologies might make your events available to a national audience.
          Last edited by SecTrainer; 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Whenever I'm in the Seattle area I stay at the airport Holiday Inn - I like the revolving restaurant, especially after a few glasses of wine. Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll pass up the "Sleep & Eats".

Comment

Whenever I'm in the Seattle area I stay at the airport Holiday Inn - I like the revolving restaurant, especially after a few glasses of wine. Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll pass up the "Sleep & Eats".
              Wall, if yew want to spend ten times the money, I guess that's an okay place, but it makes me dizzy. Plus, it don't have the down-home aroma of Sleep & Eats, they don't let yew spit yer baccy on the floor and they're always runnin in and changin yer sheets just when you get 'em broke in good. I promise that yew kin stay at Sleep & Eats til the Trump of the Lord sounds, and we'll never change yer sheets. We respeck yer privacy!

Wutt if we wuz to put Sears catillogs in the outhouse insted of the corn cobs and free hog jowls fer happy hour? I guess that makes them uppity folks at the Holiday In look purty damn sad, don't it?!

Oh, and our hotel sekurity can't be beat by them folks neither. Sharrif Dingle hisself uses one of the rooms fer an hour or two whenever Rhonda May Goodhue gits away from her brothers, and if she brings her nanny-goat he stays a good deal longer.
              Last edited by SecTrainer; 01-06-2008, 10:40 AM.

Comment

SecTrainer, sounds like you need to get on the horn and get some of your contacts together for a social, er I mean conference in your neck of the woods. Personally, I love the north west (except in the winter).
                Jerry
                http://personalprotectionconcepts.info

Comment

Originally posted by jmaccauley View Post
                  SecTrainer, sounds like you need to get on the horn and get some of your contacts together for a social, er I mean conference in your neck of the woods. Personally, I love the north west (except in the winter).
                  The NW is beautiful in winter, too!

Actually, I've been thinking about buying 10 acres or so and putting up a training facility that would have first-class media capability and could be used to host smaller events - maybe up to 100 attendees or so. In that process, I've contacted a few better-known "providers" (very few providers are headquartered in the Northwest) to see what their interest would be in coming here if such a facility were available, including the event planning, but the ho-hum - and in some cases, downright silence - has been deafening.

By way of a little creative intelligence, I've found that in at least a few cases, the "attendance guarantee" they quote me, if they're interested at all, is 10 to 20% higher than they require to conduct seminars, etc. in cities in the central or eastern US. This is, in part, what I'm talking about. If I were contacting these providers about hosting a YACOTEC - especially one in DC or New York - they only have to travel across town or take a 2-hour flight, and all I'd have to promise is that three circus clowns and a dog with the mange would show up. They'd be right there, johnny-on-the-spot, before I put down the phone.
                  Last edited by SecTrainer; 01-07-2008, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I've conducted training in 7 states and the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.It really isn't that hard to host a class and these training outfits that demand the moon usually wear out their welcome quickly. You get me the itinerary and I can find you the trainers. I'm still amazed at what some groups will pay for less-than-stellar training programs, but they do like name recognition.
                    Jerry
                    http://personalprotectionconcepts.info

Comment

I have been involved in a couple of associations over the years, and I too have asked the same question posed by SecTrainer: "Why not hold an event in Seattle or Portland (Oregon) once in awhile?"

The answer I got was that, if you look at past attendance records, most attendees come from the central and eastern US and that is why most events are held there. The Pacific Northwest was considered too remote for most attendees.

They didn't want to hear my counter argument that the reason you don't have many attendees from the west coast is because events are mostly held on the east coast
                      Michael A. Silva
                      Silva Consultants

Comment

Originally posted by Silva Consultants View Post
                        I have been involved in a couple of associations over the years, and I too have asked the same question posed by SecTrainer: "Why not hold an event in Seattle or Portland (Oregon) once in awhile?"

The answer I got was that, if you look at past attendance records, most attendees come from the central and eastern US and that is why most events are held there. The Pacific Northwest was considered too remote for most attendees.

They didn't want to hear my counter argument that the reason you don't have many attendees from the west coast is because events are mostly held on the east coast
                        Right there you have it, Michael...the old catch-22.

Comment

Ok, I am deff in.
                          www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541 View Post
                            Ok, I am deff in.
                            Good. Make sure you look me up - I'll be wearing a pink rose in my lapel. But then....you know what I look like.

Comment

Look for the plant that follows you around the lobby wearing glasses.

Actually I recall a conference I had in New Orleans for a 3 days but stayed for the week. Bourbon St was popular you could say and the idea of a snack of a Po-Boy almost killed me as the bloody things are massive. The same group used to have conferences in Asian cities or in Australia but I only went to a few as leaving your business to fend for itself is a sure sign of bankruptcy for most people.
                              "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X