Safer from terrorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safer from terrorism

I would like to know what you think about the current terrorism threat to our country. Six years ago today we stood together in sorrow for the lives lost in this tragic event, and anger at the people that would do such a useless act of violence. Do you feel we are safer or not. Please explain your view.
    Safer today
    25.00%
    Unchanged
    25.00%
    Less safe today
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Safer from terrorism

I feel we are little safer from terrorism. Has do to by cutting some red tape by make US Border Patrol ,Immigration Naturalization Service and US customs into one agency. Then there is the deployment of National Guard troops to border.. Also where was the funding by Homeland Security to inner link all agencies to be able better share Intel . I think moving into right way. Just takes time and red tape.
    CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

There is only one piece of the puzzle still missing, lack of communications between agencies and the maintenance of inaccurate lists by various federal agencies many of which are outdated. We were told the problem would be fixed with new computer systems and more sophisicated programs. They have been working on both the systems and programs and both are way behind schedule and cost overruns.
      Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, "How was the play?"
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill
      Last edited by Bill Warnock; 09-11-2007, 03:36 PM. Reason: Missing word

Comment

Do illegals still make it across the border in droves? Yes they do. Has our intell improved? Yes. Have we fostered the growth of even more terrorists? Probably. So it adds up to -less safe.

Comment

Are we safer from a terrorist hijacking? I would say yes. It is much more difficult to get on a plane with anything of great threat.

Are we safer from a possible terrorist incident on our streets? Unequivocally no! It is extremely easy for someone with resources to get into this country. We talk about the illegals. How about someone with the money to operate in a clandestine manner. We've just been lucky. Lets hope it stay that way.
          sigpic
          Rocket Science
          Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
          One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

I've been reading a book that details ways in which a .50BMG rifle may be used to attack power, infrastructure, naval assets, aircraft, just about any machine from a LOOOOONG distance in the right hands. There was a fully planned scenario in which a medium hulled naval vessel was targeted and set afire during a naval revue. as I left it at work I'll retrieve it later as the title escapes me at the moment.
            sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

There are many urban legends, promulgated by anti-gun people, about how the 50BMG can destroy everything known to man, including tank armor.

If the 50BMG could defeat tanks, why would we bother with armor? A sniper team could do it.

Barrett had the Associated Press write a nice little "story" about how the 50BMG round can flip a tanker car (railroad car, here!) from one round.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

If you study the history of terrorism, you'll see that this country has never been safe from terrorism, and you'll also see that it is no more and no less safe than it has ever been in the past.
                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

ok, I have the book, called the Illustrated Manual of Sniper Skills by Mark Spicer. He trains snipers of 'many of the world's militar and paramilitar forces'.

Regarding armor: "In addition to the optics, the modern battle tank is fitted wth an array of antennae and sensors required for the tank's fire control system. If they are damaged or destroyed, the crew must return to the old calculated method of firing, and the time and accuracy penalties that go with it. With the use of .50 caliber rifles, running gear, engine exaust manifold vents, viewports, and even the main gun become credible targets for the sniper."

the .50 can't take out the folks inside, but they can forseably turn the war machine into a 70 ton pillbox.

Comment

Age old battle tactic - you do not need to kill the enemy, just wound him and take him out of the battle.
                    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

thats the game I would play, and my conscience would feel better too

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post
                        thats the game I would play, and my conscience would feel better too
                        Not to get off track, but when it comes to the battles of war, it's best to not let your conscience get to much control. If you can't take them prisoner, that mind set may make the enemy you let live and get away today, the enemy that kills you tomorrow. Remember "Saving Private Ryan".
                        sigpic
                        Rocket Science
                        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                        One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                          Not to get off track, but when it comes to the battles of war, it's best to not let your conscience get to much control. If you can't take them prisoner, that mind set may make the enemy you let live and get away today, the enemy that kills you tomorrow. Remember "Saving Private Ryan".
                          integrator, I don't think you are too far off track. That is exactly how you handle an enemy or terrorist. Some of these people sent back to their native countries, were captured once again. This time they stayed put in Cuba. One of our wing commanders was a P-47 Pilot during WWII stated in one of his many informal meetings with his NCOs was to remind all of us that during one of his strafing mission to clear the way for our infantry he saw the German soldiers, part of the waffen SS, jump in the ditches to avoid gunfire. He said he and his wingman cleaned out the ditches to kill or wound as many as they could because one live SS today was more than likely one or more allied soldiers dead or wounded the next day or week or month. In this war against terrorism, our goal should be to kill or capture as many as possible. My preference is kill them. It really doesn't matter to them, their twisted goal is to attain heaven. Our goal should be to hasten their arrival. Any idea as to why the French left Morocco? The local populace killed as many as they could find in addition to the France's expanding war in Southeast Asia draining manpower. We soon followed!
                          Enjoy the day,
                          Bill

Comment

Well, I thing there are too many people out there that are reactionary vs. proactive. You have all kinds of places putting in more cameras and lights, but what does that really accomplish? The camera isn't going to jump off of the wall and stop anyone. While I understand that you need surveilance to sometimes spot these things, you need PEOPLE to actually stop these things from happening. Why hire outside independant consultants to come to your facility to tell you how to secure it when you have people with years and years of experience and really know what it would take to effectively secure it.

I don't think we are any safer...
                            Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X