Secure Border Initiative(SBInet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secure Border Initiative(SBInet)

The Secure Border Initiative is now in the testing phase. I would like other opinions on the initiative and how it will impact Homeland Security and the Security industry in our country in general. The test area is only about 30-40 miles from me, so I do have a stake in the situation. As some of you may know the Border Patrols ISIS program came under heavy fire for accounting practices and reliability. I would like to know if you see any downsides to the SBInet program. The mix of technology allowing a "common operating picture" (COP) to the command centers and the people in the field, I think, will greatley enhance the efficiency of the field agents as well as allow faster response. I strongly think that the way the SBInet is panning out will become a great asset for our security. Here are some links to the program for your review.

DHS Sbinet page: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/sbi/

Boeing SBInet page: http://bts.boeing.com/ids/advanced_s...net/index.html

Press release on portable towers: http://www.boeing.com/ids/advanced_s...ct28Towers.pdf

The project near me: http://www.boeing.com/ids/advanced_s...t_p28_0407.pdf

Any thoughts.

I did not read each document listed, and in trying to further explore this, does all the associated monies do anything to address the problem?
    Nothing is as simple as, address the problem = lessing the long term costs VS. pour money at stopping the flow.
    (I do agree totally with stronger border protection)

There are jobs that American's do not want, there are illegal's that obviously want them and Employer's that are obviously hiring for those jobs!

Why not take some of the resources to set up an employment center that transports / tracks / deducts income tax's from a preselected few thousand for each growing season...

As anywhere, a few of the people will give you the most problems, but cheaper labor keeps costs down.
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Comment

Neither side will go for anything more than full blow Anmesty, specifically for one (very large) segment of illegals, which has the backing of a very powerful political lobby. The opposing side wants tougher enforcement of immigration laws.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
        I did not read each document listed, and in trying to further explore this, does all the associated monies do anything to address the problem?
        Nothing is as simple as, address the problem = lessing the long term costs VS. pour money at stopping the flow.
        (I do agree totally with stronger border protection)

There are jobs that American's do not want, there are illegal's that obviously want them and Employer's that are obviously hiring for those jobs!

Why not take some of the resources to set up an employment center that transports / tracks / deducts income tax's from a preselected few thousand for each growing season...
        As anywhere, a few of the people will give you the most problems, but cheaper labor keeps costs down.
        They have employment companies that do that with European and Russian workers. They get a 2 year visa to work here from the employment agency in their home country. They then have jobs ready in this country for them. After 2 years they must return to their home country for 1 year before re-applying for another 2 year term. After the process is completed 3 times (8 years) thay can apply for permanent resident status.

The jobs Americans don't want theory I do not believe. Agriculture jobs require alot of immigrants because of the numbers needed, the seasonal work, and the limited pay. We should have a seperate visa program for that. Other than that I think Americans want and still do all other types of work. The problem is when you have so many illegal workers working at a lower wage it brings the whole wage system down for everybody. Thus less tax revenue and benefits, as well as making it harder to achieve the "American Dream".

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
          Neither side will go for anything more than full blow Anmesty, specifically for one (very large) segment of illegals, which has the backing of a very powerful political lobby. The opposing side wants tougher enforcement of immigration laws.
          I agree completely. All I want is absolutely NO amnesty. It is a slap in the face for all the people that have waited patiently for their visas to be approved. It will also create an even bigger influx until the border is secure.

Comment

i dont wanna see people get kicked out of the us, and i dont want americans losing job opportunities from people who dont belong here.
            Security is more than a job, its preservation for our future.

Fiber Fence - Perimeter Protection Security Solutions

Fiber Optic Products

Comment

Originally posted by Secure Permagrin View Post
              i dont wanna see people get kicked out of the us, and i dont want americans losing job opportunities from people who dont belong here.
              As for not seeing people get kicked out, I have 2 opinions on this.

1. They broke the law already. They should be held accountable. Even if it is go back to their home country and file for a visa. If they do not do that within a certain period of time (say 6 mo.), they get deported and are not allowed to file for a visa for at least 5 years.

2. People are in line for visas all over the world that have paid and waited for approval. Why should they have to wait longer because someone decided to enter illegally and take their place. For the people that are going through legal channels they should get first priority over anyone here illegally. So in that case ship them back and put them at the end of the line.

If someone is so blatent at disrespecting our laws that they cross into the U.S. and then say we owe them, DEPORT DEPORT DEPORT, and not give them the right to file for 10 years.

I have nothing against anyone from any country that is not a criminal trying to enter our country. We were founded from many countries. E pluribus unum is not only, in my opinion, out of many states one country, but also, out of many countries one nation. But how can we expect new immigrants to respect our laws if they intentionally break them right out of the gate.

Comment

after my trip to Florida last week I have decided I agree with the border security and think the people, their criminal history, should all be monitored, and any one who is here illegally should have to apply for a visa or be deported. Furthermore there should be a quota as to how many immigrants are allowed in.
                Security is more than a job, its preservation for our future.

Fiber Fence - Perimeter Protection Security Solutions

Fiber Optic Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney View Post
                  Other than that I think Americans want and still do all other types of work.
                  Not true. I work on a cruise ship, that is in american port every Sunday. All pozitions are open to americans. But americans are much happier with help they get from the government for not having job, than will they come over and work.
                  Out of 1200 people that work on ship, maybe 10 of them are americans. And we are talking about company that has it's base in Miami. Lazy bones.

Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

[QUOTE=user999;33045]Not true. I work on a cruise ship, that is in american port every Sunday. All pozitions are open to americans. But americans are much happier with help they get from the government for not having job, than will they come over and work.
                    Out of 1200 people that work on ship, maybe 10 of them are americans. And we are talking about company that has it's base in Miami. Lazy bones.
                    [QUOTE]

User999,
                    There may be factors in why Americans don't want the jobs on a cruise ship. Wages, time away from family, etc.
                    The way you typed the statement is actually offensive. I agree that some Americans may be lazy and want to live off of government checks, but, the way you stated it sounds like you think all Americans are lazy. I completely disagree. Here's one example.

A company in Iowa was recently visited by our customs enforcement agency and deported 60% of the workers for being in our country illegally. The company said that they hired illegals because Americans did not want the jobs. They put adds in the local newspapers and on the radio. They got more applicants than the company had openings (75% more to be exact). And all of the applicants were Americans looking for work.

As with any culture, you will find lazy people. I for one work 80-120 hours a week and do not have one lazy bone in my body. Like the old saying goes "You can't judge a man until you walk in his shoes." I have been to the Carribean a few times and have seen lazy people there as well. That doesn't mean that I think all people there are lazy.

Comment

my 2 cents

Yea, all those jobs U.S. citizens don't want. Such as construction framing, drywalling, insulating, concrete work, electricians, roofers. NO, it's just that they will do it cheaper. Sure, there are jobs nobody really wants, that doesn't mean nobody will do it, if you pay a fair wage. Keeping prices down isn't a valid reason for immigration or cheap labor. (flip side is that doesn't justify $24 bucks an hour to tighten lug nuts in a factory either).

Amnesty! No way. We did that once. A 2nd time sets a definite precedent.

Also, for anyone, from any country, not a U.S. Citizen: Break the law, other than minor traffic violations - your gone with no chance of returning. Period. Doesn't matter if your citizenship test is tomorrow. Doesn't matter what the circumstances of your visa, or even if it's political asylum or whatever. We don't need more criminals.

At no time before you are a citizen (not that I support it for able bodied citizens either) should you receive any government subsistance - food stamps, welfare, medicare, etc. Exceptions possibly for catastrophic illness that occurs here, with no entitlement to long term care.

Some countries require you to have employment, or a needed skill, before you can moeve there. We should too.

That's some of what should be in an immigration bill.
                      sigpic
                      Rocket Science
                      Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                      One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Integrator97

I agree completely. Amnesty does not help anyone.

As for the jobs noone wants. Here is a good example of something I find very irritating. A friend of mine "was" a forman for a landscape company. He worked at the company for 15 years. Before the first amnesty situation all of the employees were American citizens of different ethnicities. After the amnesty, the company hired illegals to "save a buck". They let my friend go because he was not bilingual. For 15 years he never had a problem with communication with his crews. Needless to say paybacks are a @#$%. He called immigration and now the owner doesn't have a job (or much money) either.

I completely understand why people want to come here and have no problem with those that do legally. The problem I have is the fact that our politicians want everyone to come and not have to meld into our society.

Welfare is a good program for people going through hard times. The majority of people are only a paycheck or two from being in a bad situation. It is meant to help someone get through the hard times and get back on their feet. The problem is the people that take advantage of the situation and use it as if it is their payroll forever. I for one liked the idea of working for it either through community service, helping the homeless, volunteering at a veterans hospital, etc.

Comment

Yes, I agree welfare is important, but should be very limited for non citizens.

You're right that we should make them work for their benefits. Maybe more would get off faster, at least the one's trying to milk the system. And it may cut down on fraud as you can't be in two places at once.

I think the biggest problem with welfare, at least for those who don't want to be on it, is the all or nothing way it works. It's so hard for them to take a job, especially if they need childcare, because they generally lose all their benefits. We should have a sliding scale, to help these people off the system.

Sorry everybody, for going off the immigration track.
                          sigpic
                          Rocket Science
                          Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                          One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

yea...?

Yes, I agree welfare is important, but should be very limited for non citizens.
                            Welfare is seemingly only important to those too lazy to get jobs. At least that was the impression I recieved in the grocery store days and from some of my project home assignments. The places where people on welfare would brag about getting frre gov't assistance. I had a job since I was 13 to help support my family. I see little excuse for welfare ever.

Comment

I can only say what I witnessed in Miami.
                              I was shocked to see how many homeless people crowl out after 17.00 to the streets, begging for money and feeling so comfortably in their cardboard boxes.
                              Not so in my quite poor and small country.
                              Here everyone works.

Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X