Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juking
    • Jun 2007

Florida Armed Security Question!

I heard that armed security in Florida only allows .357 and 9mm..Does anyone know any more info on agencies, etc..regarding what side arms are usually allowed? I have a .45, unfortunately. I understand that one needs to get certified, so I might have to buy another weapon..I heard that Federal Police use Barreta 9mm, but that's federal..thanks
  • gcmc security part 2
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by juking
    I heard that armed security in Florida only allows .357 and 9mm..Does anyone know any more info on agencies, etc..regarding what side arms are usually allowed? I have a .45, unfortunately. I understand that one needs to get certified, so I might have to buy another weapon..I heard that Federal Police use Barreta 9mm, but that's federal..thanks
    Quoted from FS 493

(6) In addition to any other firearm approved by the department, a licensee who has been issued a Class "G" license may carry a .38 caliber revolver; or a .380 caliber or 9 millimeter semiautomatic pistol; or a .357 caliber revolver with .38 caliber ammunition only while performing duties authorized under this chapter. No licensee may carry more than two firearms upon her or his person when performing her or his duties. A licensee may only carry a firearm of the specific type and caliber with which she or he is qualified pursuant to the firearms training referenced in subsection (8) or s. 493.6113(3)(b).
    Notice the bold section in reference to .357
    SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

• Echos13
      • Sep 2005

Not sure about most agencies. G4S/TWC has old school .38 calibers. Mostly because they are cheap (ahem) I mean it's cheaper and already in thier inventory. Florida law I believe allows .357 with .38 ammo, 9mm and .380 in certain securtiy operations. As for other agencies most seem to be unarmed for the exception of armor car companies.
      My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
        • Aug 2005

Few things.

1. Depending on the company, they may not put you armed at first. You are required to have a Manager licensee sign off on your Statewide Firearms Permit (Class "G" License) application prior to submission.

2. You are required to have a Class "D" Security Officer License before you can get a firearms permit. The permit is simply to carry a firearm as a security person. Some schools will run you through the D and G course right after the other, others will require your sponsoring agency authorize you to take the G course.

3. Do not take the G course till you know you have a sponsoring agency. You have 6 months from the day you take your G course to submit your paperwork to the state and apply for the license.

4. As GCMC said, you are only authorized to carry a .38 revolver or .357 revolver with .38 special ammo; or (as of 2006) a 9mm semi-automatic pistol with 9mm ammo. No other weapon is authorized without special permission for the company by the director of the department of licensing.

5. Read up on Chapter 493, as it has very odd laws that as a licensee apply to you as long as you hold your license. It does not matter if you are "on duty" or "off duty," the law affects "licensees," and makes no determination.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• Limo LA
          • Dec 2007

I have FL CCW license (non resident) and it was very easy to get compared to some of other states.
          FL CCW does not specify caliber.
          It seems like I can carry any gun any caliber with my FL CCW (I'm not FL S/O)

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          5. Read up on Chapter 493, as it has very odd laws that as a licensee apply to you as long as you hold your license. It does not matter if you are "on duty" or "off duty," the law affects "licensees," and makes no determination.
          I'm little confused about FL.
          Is this means, if you are licensed S/O, you can not carry other than .38,380 and 9mm even off duty with CCW license ?

In CA (& NV), if you have civilian CCW, you can carry only licensed gun (model of gun, caliber, and serial # of gun are written) .
          If you have Exposed carry S/O's firearm permit (on duty only), you can carry any gun for licenced caliber .
          you can be qualify for any caliber. 40,44 or 45 and it doesn't say auto or revolver nor Sp, Magnum, Long or short, as long as caliber match.
          you can have un-limited number of caliber in licence (permit).
          I have 5 calibers listed (qualified) on my firearm permit.
          If someone who has permit for .357, he can use desert eagle semi-Auto with .357 as long as caliber is .357.
          same as 44mag in Semi-Auto if he is licensed for 44.
          Last edited by Limo LA; 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM.
          Not many but few chauffeurs are armed to protect clients.

Comment

• bigdog
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Limo LA
            I have FL CCW license (non resident) and it was very easy to get compared to some of other states.
            FL CCW does not specify caliber.
            It seems like I can carry any gun any caliber with my FL CCW (I'm not FL S/O)

I'm little confused about FL.
            Is this means, if you are licensed S/O, you can not carry other than .38,380 and 9mm even off duty with CCW license ?

In CA (& NV), if you have civilian CCW, you can carry only licensed gun (model of gun, caliber, and serial # of gun are written) .
            If you have Exposed carry S/O's firearm permit (on duty only), you can carry any gun for licenced caliber .
            you can be qualify for any caliber. 40,44 or 45 and it doesn't say auto or revolver nor Sp, Magnum, Long or short, as long as caliber match.
            you can have un-limited number of caliber in licence (permit).
            I have 5 calibers listed (qualified) on my firearm permit.
            If someone who has permit for .357, he can use desert eagle semi-Auto with .357 as long as caliber is .357.
            same as 44mag in Semi-Auto if he is licensed for 44.
            The G license only specifies that you can carry a handgun on duty. Off duty you can carry any weapon on a CCW.
            "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

• mad_malk
              • Dec 2007

Few things.

1. You are required to have a Manager licensee sign off on your Statewide Firearms Permit (Class "G" License) application prior to submission.
              That is not true. it may be a companies policy but that is not the law. Any one who poses a D,CC and C(M type may as well but not sure) and takes the state mandated Course for a G license may submit there application and wait for a G license to be issued.

The only time you need an agency to sponsor you is if you are applying for a Temporary G license. A temp G. Also has a state mandated Psyc test as well.
              Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

Comment

• juking
                • Jun 2007

Can you tell me if there is a physical fitness test before the D or G is issued? Also, what is the firearms proficiency for G? Is it with a state provided instructor? thanks again!

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by mad_malk
                  That is not true. it may be a companies policy but that is not the law. Any one who poses a D,CC and C(M type may as well but not sure) and takes the state mandated Course for a G license may submit there application and wait for a G license to be issued.

The only time you need an agency to sponsor you is if you are applying for a Temporary G license. A temp G. Also has a state mandated Psyc test as well.
                  There's a spot on the DOACS Class G license application for an M or MB licensee to sign off on your license. While any C can be designated a PI Agency Manager, for Class B security companies must have a Class M licensee or a Class MB licensee at each branch.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                    • Aug 2005

Can you tell me if there is a physical fitness test before the D or G is issued? Also, what is the firearms proficiency for G? Is it with a state provided instructor? thanks again!
                    Any person who is licensed as a "Class K Firearms Instructor" can provide the 28 hour Armed course. This includes a course of fire, and then legal theory, arrest powers (you have common law arrest powers as a citizen, but no statutory arrest powers), etc.

The only "fitness test" is a spot on the G application where a doctor must sign that you are "qualified to perform the duties of an armed security officer." In other words, $100 dollar work physical and make sure the doctor signs off. When I got my G, the doctor wasn't even sure what the state wanted her to test, so she gave me a OSHA work physical.

You will quickly find, as everyone in Florida has, that the entire Licensing system is amusing. From the Department of Licensing - Division of Agriculture and Consumer Services website:

Originally posted by DOACS
                    [The Division of Licensing is] responsible for protecting the public from unethical business practices on the part of persons providing private security, private investigative and recovery services to the public through licensure and regulation of those industries pursuant to Chapter 493, Florida Statutes.
                    Source http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/divisions.html

In other words, the entire licensing system, Chapter 493, and everything else is there to do one thing: Protect Florida from security guards, private investigators, and repo men.

Comment

• juking
                      • Jun 2007

thanks so much..I may run into a problem with the part on the applications where you have to list the last five employers that you've worked for..I have former employers, but they were from many years ago. I'm sure that this is common in Florida, as there are retirees that apply for licenses here, but I'm only 49 years old..

Comment

• alamosaddles
                        • May 2008

There's a spot on the DOACS Class G license application for an M or MB licensee to sign off on your license. While any C can be designated a PI Agency Manager, for Class B security companies must have a Class M licensee or a Class MB licensee at each branch.
                        Yes, there is a spot for the M or MB license holder to sign, however, this is in the event that you are also applying for a temp G license. Any D license applicant or license holder can apply for the G license regardless if he/she is being sponsored by an agency.

Additionally, I saw someone stated that licensee requirements apply even if you are off duty, and that is incorrect. If you are of duty, you are not covered under any of the D or G licensure requirements, and if you are carrying a weapon, you must be doing so in accordnance with your CCW permit.

Comment

• alamosaddles
                          • May 2008

thanks so much..I may run into a problem with the part on the applications where you have to list the last five employers that you've worked for..I have former employers, but they were from many years ago. I'm sure that this is common in Florida, as there are retirees that apply for licenses here, but I'm only 49 years old..
                          Old thread but just in case....You don't have to have 5 former employers to get licensed. If you can list them, then you list them. Our newest guard has zero former employers and he received his temp the same day he turned in the app, and his permanent arrived 5 weeks later.

Comment

• gixxer32404
                            • Feb 2008

Few things.

1. Depending on the company, they may not put you armed at first. You are required to have a Manager licensee sign off on your Statewide Firearms Permit (Class "G" License) application prior to submission.

2. You are required to have a Class "D" Security Officer License before you can get a firearms permit. The permit is simply to carry a firearm as a security person. Some schools will run you through the D and G course right after the other, others will require your sponsoring agency authorize you to take the G course.

3. Do not take the G course till you know you have a sponsoring agency. You have 6 months from the day you take your G course to submit your paperwork to the state and apply for the license.

4. As GCMC said, you are only authorized to carry a .38 revolver or .357 revolver with .38 special ammo; or (as of 2006) a 9mm semi-automatic pistol with 9mm ammo. No other weapon is authorized without special permission for the company by the director of the department of licensing.

And a 380 LOL
                            THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

• gixxer32404
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by mad_malk

Also I believe they waive the psyc test if u have a military honorable discharge as I do. I never took psyc test.
                              THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...