Poll: Should alarms be verified?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbertola
    • Dec 2010

I think this brings up an interesting point, because in some cases you want verification, and in others you don't need it.

This last week, on Christmas day actually, my sister-in-law came to my in-laws home for the day, and received a verification call half way through the day that her alarm had been triggered. It turned out to have just been a poorly secured door sensor falling out. That would be a great example of a false alarm, and had they been home, they could have verified the issue and corrected it. Instead the alarm company sent one of their security people out to check.

I also know that restaurant managers often carry panic buttons in case of robberies, and I know of at least one instance where the panic button was accidentally triggered when the manager was moving boxes around. In that case I think the police department issued a fee or citation of some sort.
    EZWatch Security Cameras

Comment

• LARMGUY
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bbertola
      I think this brings up an interesting point, because in some cases you want verification, and in others you don't need it.

This last week, on Christmas day actually, my sister-in-law came to my in-laws home for the day, and received a verification call half way through the day that her alarm had been triggered. It turned out to have just been a poorly secured door sensor falling out. That would be a great example of a false alarm, and had they been home, they could have verified the issue and corrected it. Instead the alarm company sent one of their security people out to check.

I also know that restaurant managers often carry panic buttons in case of robberies, and I know of at least one instance where the panic button was accidentally triggered when the manager was moving boxes around. In that case I think the police department issued a fee or citation of some sort.
      My point exactly. The alarm worked correctly in all instances.
      I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Comment

• IP-Alarms
        • May 2009

There are different levels of verification being sought by police departments...

1. Sequential. More than a single alarm from two different detectors.

2. Audio verification where the operator "listens in".

3. Video verification. This is the one that seems to be causing all the controversy as there is a much greater cost involved.

I think sequential verification should be required by every police department and video verification should be required for sites that carry a certain level of risk.
        IP Alarms

Comment

• CameraMan
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by IP-Alarms
          There are different levels of verification being sought by police departments...

1. Sequential. More than a single alarm from two different detectors.

2. Audio verification where the operator "listens in".

3. Video verification. This is the one that seems to be causing all the controversy as there is a much greater cost involved.

I think sequential verification should be required by every police department and video verification should be required for sites that carry a certain level of risk.
          No. This makes too much sense. Away with you and your so-called "logic" and "common sense".
          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

• allgovision
            • Mar 2011

Hi All,

How about installing Video Analytic to decrease the rate of false alarm generation.
            AllGoVision : Advance Video Analytics

Comment

• CameraMan
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by allgovision
              How about installing Video Analytic to decrease the rate of false alarm generation.
              I disagree. Video Analytic only seems like a good deal if you don't accurately calculate the total cost of ownership. The price of virgin's tears alone has skyrocketed 115% in the past two years, and powdered unicorn horn is soon to be outlawed thanks to lobbying by PETA. Verification is a much more cost effective tactic.
              The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

• LARMGUY
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by CameraMan
                I disagree. Video Analytic only seems like a good deal if you don't accurately calculate the total cost of ownership. The price of virgin's tears alone has skyrocketed 115% in the past two years, and powdered unicorn horn is soon to be outlawed thanks to lobbying by PETA. Verification is a much more cost effective tactic.

Unicorn horn is going bye bye? Damn those PETA fools! I'd better stock up. I do like their protest tactics though.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by LARMGUY; 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM.
                I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Comment

• Aug 2009

Originally posted by SIW Editor
                  Take the poll on whether burglar alarms should be verified before police dispatch

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/node/1317593
                  Of course! It means job security for me!

On a serious note -- Yes, a well trained armed-officer solely dedicated to "Alarm Drops" can respond much quicker then an over burdened police department -- Once the alarm is verified either way it can either be documented or elevated to local police. In the event it is a "true" alarm, an Armed Officer (properly trained of course) should be more then able to defend himself while waiting for the Police to arrive...

That and I am sure clients would rather pay our $45.00 fee then the $500.00 false alarm fee our local police department charges!

Comment

• vedard
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2010

Have home owners, alarm users to be taught firstly

Well, I think the most important is to have home owners, alarm users to be taught how to properly use the alarm systems.
                    60%~80% false alarms are caused by incorrect operation such as PIR installation placement etc.
                    So, when alarm systems is installed, we should note them the cautions when it is working as well.
                    That is more important than verification of alarm.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...