Student protests

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TOII
    • Jun 2011

You have actually made quite a few. Too many of them, not enough french speakers, costs too much...and then now comparing them to non violent protests.

MLK and the civil rights protests were right on the money. The Vietnam ones not so much. And yes, I would have loved to see those ashhats that were spitting on our returning soldiers hauled off in cuffs.

Comment

• Curtis Baillie
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by TOII
      You have actually made quite a few. Too many of them, not enough french speakers, costs too much...and then now comparing them to non violent protests.

MLK and the civil rights protests were right on the money. The Vietnam ones not so much. And yes, I would have loved to see those ashhats that were spitting on our returning soldiers hauled off in cuffs.
      The one that spit on me at O'Hare in 1968 needed medical attention.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• HotelSecurity
        • Mar 2006

Although you did not agree with the anti-war protests, I'm sure you agreed with people's right to protest. This is my view of the student protests. I think the RIGHT should have restriction. (No masks, maybe even a area set up like in a park that the demonstrators would have to stay in).

BYW we need a "like" button on this forum so I could again like Curtis's post.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
          • Mar 2006

Giving logical reasons why 7000 people can not be arrested at the same time is not supporting their cause. It's logic.

Comment

• TOII
            • Jun 2011

So now it is seven thousand and no longer two thousand...mk, still doesn't matter. One never ends up arresting everybody, one takes whom one can. THIS is common sense. Not making excuses as to why it can't be done.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
              • Mar 2006

So now it is seven thousand and no longer two thousand...mk, still doesn't matter. One never ends up arresting everybody, one takes whom one can. THIS is common sense. Not making excuses as to why it can't be done.
              Tonight is the 9th night of the marches. The attendance has ranged from 2000 to 7000 per night depending on things like the weather.

Yesterday we had 2 marches. A May Day one in the afternoon where the students joined the union workers & unemployed & the "regullary scheduled" one by the students at night. At the May Day march, which attracted more anarchists 108 people were arrested.

Comment

• TOII
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                Tonight is the 9th night of the marches. The attendance has ranged from 2000 to 7000 per night depending on things like the weather.

Yesterday we had 2 marches. A May Day one in the afternoon where the students joined the union workers & unemployed & the "regullary scheduled" one by the students at night. At the May Day march, which attracted more anarchists 108 people were arrested.
                Gotta love the May day marches....hmmm not (not saying that you do). Yeah, masks at protests should be and I believe are illegal in some places. So is not having a permit for a march or demonstration. Permits dictate quite a lot about what, where and when. I do not care one way or another about a peaceful protest that follows the rules, But the one you are dealing with has long since ceased to be that.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
                  • Mar 2006

Gotta love the May day marches....hmmm not (not saying that you do). Yeah, masks at protests should be and I believe are illegal in some places. So is not having a permit for a march or demonstration. Permits dictate quite a lot about what, where and when. I do not care one way or another about a peaceful protest that follows the rules, But the one you are dealing with has long since ceased to be that.
                  Here the police are delcaring the marches illegal when criminal acts are done. Once in a while they will declare it illegal when municipal bylaws are being broken, but rarely. Once they delare it illegal they make "targeted arrests", arresting those who committed the crime. They then allow the marches to continue. I don't agree with this. Once it has been declared illegal, it's illegal!

Comment

• TOII
                    • Jun 2011

Here the police are delcaring the marches illegal when criminal acts are done. Once in a while they will declare it illegal when municipal bylaws are being broken, but rarely. Once they delare it illegal they make "targeted arrests", arresting those who committed the crime. They then allow the marches to continue. I don't agree with this. Once it has been declared illegal, it's illegal!
                    Exactly, at that point they are all committing a crime by remaining. Why bother declaring it an illegal assembly if you are going to allow it to continue?

Comment

• HotelSecurity
                      • Mar 2006

Exactly, at that point they are all committing a crime by remaining. Why bother declaring it an illegal assembly if you are going to allow it to continue?
                      I don't understand that police tactic either.

Thursday's night march was interesting. The students decided to draw more attention to themseves so they said they would march nude. On 2nd thought they changed it to "nearly nude" so thye wouldn't be arrested. Got to admit, they're dedicated. It was about 50F last nifght during the march.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Montreal Gazette offers information on latest national and international events & more.

I think I see Cope in the background of the photo.

Comment

• TOII
                        • Jun 2011

They do a lot of damage to their credibility when they (the police) Declare an unlawful assembly then allow it to continue. Makes you wonder if it is the politicians making them do this. It is the politicians that made the L.A. Riots go out of control.

Comment

• copelandamuffy
                          • Sep 2006

I don't understand that police tactic either.

Thursday's night march was interesting. The students decided to draw more attention to themseves so they said they would march nude. On 2nd thought they changed it to "nearly nude" so thye wouldn't be arrested. Got to admit, they're dedicated. It was about 50F last nifght during the march.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Montreal Gazette offers information on latest national and international events & more.

I think I see Cope in the background of the photo.
                          I got a chuckle out of the photo HS. Many moons ago i woke up next to some girl
                          that looks like the girl in the photo. I never mixed Vodka, rum, whiskey and who knows
                          what else ever again
                          http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

• HotelSecurity
                            • Mar 2006

An update. Things are not getting better even with 2 new laws passed to try & calm things down. Grand Prix weekend is coming. The city is terrified that the protests will disrupt it. Hotels & bars make a lot of money that weekend.

Comment

• TOII
                              • Jun 2011

WOW what to say....there are so many stupid things going on in this that all I can do is shake my head.

Police gave 15 warnings to the crowd to disperse between 9 p.m. and 1:45 a.m. Montreal police Constable Simon Delorme said "there was a certain calming after the initial warnings were given" and so the march was tolerated for several hours after it had been declared illegal. Ouimet explained to LCN TV that "police management decided to let the protesters make their point."

This among other comments by the police chief are outrageous. He needs to go.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
                                • Mar 2006

WOW what to say....there are so many stupid things going on in this that all I can do is shake my head.

Police gave 15 warnings to the crowd to disperse between 9 p.m. and 1:45 a.m. Montreal police Constable Simon Delorme said "there was a certain calming after the initial warnings were given" and so the march was tolerated for several hours after it had been declared illegal. Ouimet explained to LCN TV that "police management decided to let the protesters make their point."

This among other comments by the police chief are outrageous. He needs to go.
                                It's 22h30 Sunday night. I have the scanner on & am watching it live on TV. A group of 76 have just been arrested near my hotel. I agree with mass arrests, nut where do you keep them? We do not have a National Guard in Canada but there has been talk of bringing in the regular army.It's a political decision & the government has to call an election within the next year. Although the population suports it by about 60% it is in a 3 way tie with the other 2 parties.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...