Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OscarMike
    • May 2010

camera placement tips

What are some best practices for determining camera placements? I have a few cameras that are in spots that are terrible and I know I want to move them. But where to? Do you follow any guide lines or general rules? How did you do it?
  • HotelSecurity
    • Mar 2006

Cameras in hotels can be tricky. Most guest like the fact that the hotel is doing something to protect them but a majoity still want their privacy. The lady with Mr. Smith is not always Mrs. Smith. Cameras in lobbies, garages, stairway & maybe even elevators are tolerated but most guests don't want them up on the floors.

Unions don't want them watching employees.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• Nauticus
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by OscarMike
      What are some best practices for determining camera placements? I have a few cameras that are in spots that are terrible and I know I want to move them. But where to? Do you follow any guide lines or general rules? How did you do it?
      If you don't know, contact a consultant who does.

But since you've already considered that, and because I am such a consultant (), I'll divulge deeper.

Cameras should be used for two things. First, they should be used and placed in areas that give you the largest area of coverage as possible. They can also be used to "target harden", that is, to make certain high risk, high priced items that much more difficult to steal and that much easier to keep surveillance of.

The second purpose of cameras are to control where a professional shoplifter may conceal your merchandise. Professional shoplifters aren't stupid - well, they are, but they're also effective. A professional shoplifter (a booster in Western Canada, a clutch in Eastern Canada) often will make note of camera locations and that will often determine where they may not conceal merchandise. In a sense, it allows you to control where people may choose to conceal merchandise, which suddenly makes it predictable and easy for you to do.

The easiest way to set up camera placement is by obtaining a blueprint of the area you can cover, and marking down the location of current cameras and their coverage. Then mark down some high value items, and delegate a location to be a "blind spot" (you will have a blind spot, but the trick is creating one or knowing where it is before shoplifters do). Then you control the rest of your store, and always keep record of everything so that you can always make adjustments as you see fit.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Comment

• OscarMike
        • May 2010

Lol, thanks for the info. I went up and took a look at the PTZ cameras, they are mounted into the ceiling tile. So I don't think Ill be moving them today, Ill need to have a more experienced guy from another store come give me a hand sometime. Ill buy him lunch.

Comment

• ScottFree
          • Aug 2008

OM,
          I have found one thing out when i went to do this same action. I was thinking how cool my client was to let me move these cameras. Here is what i found out. If they are very old at all, unplugging them can cause them to fail. I was told by my installer ( CM can weigh in on this) that these cameras arent like most electrical devices that you can power up and down alot, especially if they have been powered on for more than a few years. I have attempted to move 10 cameras, and i have had no less than 7 of them go kaput.

I hope you dont face this, and perhaps since mine are 10 years old and have been powered on that long is the key, since the 3 that didnt fail appeared to be newer.

I have to say that doing this to maxmize or update your views can really add to your security effectiveness tho, so in the end (since we have a contract) its mostly been worth it.

Comment

• Nauticus
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ScottFree
            OM,
            I have found one thing out when i went to do this same action. I was thinking how cool my client was to let me move these cameras. Here is what i found out. If they are very old at all, unplugging them can cause them to fail. I was told by my installer ( CM can weigh in on this) that these cameras arent like most electrical devices that you can power up and down alot, especially if they have been powered on for more than a few years. I have attempted to move 10 cameras, and i have had no less than 7 of them go kaput.

I hope you dont face this, and perhaps since mine are 10 years old and have been powered on that long is the key, since the 3 that didnt fail appeared to be newer.

I have to say that doing this to maxmize or update your views can really add to your security effectiveness tho, so in the end (since we have a contract) its mostly been worth it.
            My advice in this (if you haven't already done so) is power down the entire system before you start unplugging them. I cannot guarantee that it would work, but it should be less harsh on the cameras than unplugging them live.

Comment

• OscarMike
              • May 2010

Well I have been approved to replace a decent number of ptzs just waiting for them to arrive. Its been almost two months though idk whats taking so long. The rep from my vendor wants me to call him when the arrive, perhaps he can assist me. Im still new!

Comment

• Nauticus
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by OscarMike
                Well I have been approved to replace a decent number of ptzs just waiting for them to arrive. Its been almost two months though idk whats taking so long. The rep from my vendor wants me to call him when the arrive, perhaps he can assist me. Im still new!
                When I worked for the same retailer, I was put through a course on how to conduct maintenance, clean, install and remove, and move, our camera system. We were also trained by the vendor on the operating system, so we literally were as familiar with it as a troubleshooter would be.

Inquire.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...