Talking Do most Security Companies that hire you, do they pay for your training?

I am currently waiting for my guard card, then I have to complete the raminder of my 40hrs. After that I have firearm classes to take. When I find a security company, will they pay for other types of training? For example tear gas/pepper spray, baton, handcuffs, etc.

Some do and some don't. Once you become certified as a Security Officer or with the use of MACE, PATH Handcuffing or any other, it is YOU that become certified. This means that it goes with you and not the company. Due to this some companies will require officers to pay for their own training or perhaps require the officer to pay the company back for training provided.

Our initial security training is unpaid. Any following training is paid for and we are paid wages to do the training.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Some companies pay for training and some do not. It depends upon company norm. They actually provide you training at the initial level and hence help you to get trained which aid in get your hands on more remuneration.

Yea the company that I might be working for I called them and I believe we have to pay for our training. Kinda sucks because I dont have that much money. So all I have is my guard card, no baton or mace, or anything. So I hope that doesnt back fire on me.

The company I just started with does kinda pay for the training. When they book the training session with a certified teacher they cover 50% of the cost of the CTSS course. Not only that I am paid to go to the class as if it was a shift of work.

I am waiting for this class as I believe that I could benifit from it alot. AND I WANT MY HANDCUFFS!!!...

Unfortuantly I wont be able to carry a baton due to company policy. However I have bought a couple for those just in case moments ( STATING THIS NOW I DONT CARRY THE BATON AT WORK)

The company I work for does 50-50. They take my half out of our paychecks, spread over three checks, so it's not a big hit. We also sign a promise not to leave for at least six months, or the other half will have to be paid back (Seems fair to me. I get to keep the training.) We were paid for the time.

There is talk of aditional training (arrest, OC spray, handcuff, firearms, etc). That will most likely be handled the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    The company I work for does 50-50. They take my half out of our paychecks, spread over three checks, so it's not a big hit. We also sign a promise not to leave for at least six months, or the other half will have to be paid back (Seems fair to me. I get to keep the training.) We were paid for the time.

There is talk of aditional training (arrest, OC spray, handcuff, firearms, etc). That will most likely be handled the same way.
    This company does security for other malls as well. The guards all carry mace, handcuffs, batons, etc. The only thing I have not seen is firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen1990 View Post
    This company does security for other malls as well. The guards all carry mace, handcuffs, batons, etc. The only thing I have not seen is firearm.
    Mall security is usually unarmed, and I'm a little surprised they're carrying batons. I'd be more inclined to have officers who were armed (trained and certified, of course) than to let them carry batons. IMHO, the weapon that is the most likely to be used inappropriately is not the firearm, but the baton.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 02-21-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    A man who will not lie to his wife has no regard for her feelings. - Anon.

My school was so tough we had our own coroner. - Lenny Bruce

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas

Quote Originally Posted by SecTrainer View Post
    Mall security is usually unarmed, and I'm a little surprised they're carrying batons. I'd be more inclined to have officers who were armed (trained and certified, of course) than to let them carry batons. IMHO, the weapon that is the most likely to be used inappropriately is not the firearm, but the baton.
    Mall security is, unfortunately, often willing to restrict the equipment their guards use so as not to offend customers' delicate sensibilities. If a guard is carrying an expandable baton it probably isn't going to be obvious to others since many people don't quickly recognize a collapsed baton, even it it's in an "open holster". If a guard is carrying a firearm, though, it is going to be a lot more obvious to onlookers, since we all know what a gun looks like.