Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • integrator97
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by talon
    While I don't really have a "dog in this fight" so to speak, I do think that censorship in any form is bad. I believe that the free flow of ideas and opinions make us all better for it.

I do understand however, that forums are private in nature and therefore the owners or moderators can make up rules governing the use of such.

I would hope that censorship would only be used for topics that are of no relevance to the forum or to police rude and or unprofessional behavior.

My 1 1/2 cents.
    We're sorry, but you account is a 1/2 cent overdue. Until you fulfill the requirements of 2 cents worth in full, we will have to limit your posts to 500 words or less. If you have already paid your 1/2 cent due, please disregard this notice.
    sigpic
    Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• Jan 2009

Integrator, talon's purposely maintaining his balance at 1 1/2 cents; he heard somewhere that if he reaches a 2 cent balance-due, IRS will send a couple of goons to tune him up.

Sorry 'bout the detour; we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...
      "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Comment

• davis002
        • Nov 2005

You just gotta love arbitrary censorship! The private security industry is plagued with all sorts of problems! Not that anyone who reads this forum will know, because the position of SIW is to pretend the problem doesn't exist and censor anyone who dares speak negatively about a security company.

I guess censorship works great for the Chinese, so why not SIW? I propose we add some red to the SIW logo. That would be the next logical step.
        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

• Nauticus
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by davis002
          You just gotta love arbitrary censorship! The private security industry is plagued with all sorts of problems! Not that anyone who reads this forum will know, because the position of SIW is to pretend the problem doesn't exist and censor anyone who dares speak negatively about a security company.

I guess censorship works great for the Chinese, so why not SIW? I propose we add some red to the SIW logo. That would be the next logical step.
          You didn't actually read any of the posts in this topic, did you? Because if you did, you wouldn't have posted something so ridiculous.

Comment

• talon
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by integrator97
            We're sorry, but you account is a 1/2 cent overdue. Until you fulfill the requirements of 2 cents worth in full, we will have to limit your posts to 500 words or less. If you have already paid your 1/2 cent due, please disregard this notice.

Comment

• davis002
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Nauticus
              You didn't actually read any of the posts in this topic, did you? Because if you did, you wouldn't have posted something so ridiculous.
              Which post(s) are you referring to? Like the one where you suggest that most security companies in the world are bad, and we should all "give props" to the good companies? Are you bringing the acoustic guitar or the marshmallows? SIW is a lot of things, and one of those is not a campfire.
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

• CTEXSEC1
                • Mar 2010

Which post(s) are you referring to? Like the one where you suggest that most security companies in the world are bad, and we should all "give props" to the good companies? Are you bringing the acoustic guitar or the marshmallows? SIW is a lot of things, and one of those is not a campfire.
                What professionalism. It amuses me that you throw such a temper-tantrum and, in the same breath, criticize a company for its lack of professionalism.

For your benefit, I quoted the posts you probably should have let sink in:

Originally posted by talon
                I do understand however, that forums are private in nature and therefore the owners or moderators can make up rules governing the use of such.

I would hope that censorship would only be used for topics that are of no relevance to the forum or to police rude and or unprofessional behavior.
                Originally posted by Nauticus
                But we know what makes a security company bad. I would say that most security companies in the entire world are bad, not just where you live. So why pinpoint which are bad? I think we should give props to the good ones instead.
                Originally posted by CTEXSEC1
                Exactly. Especially with the company/person in question here. I am fairly certain that everyone on the planet knows what people in MN think of this company and its owner/mgr/whatever. So...posting multiple threads (30 counts as multiple) is just ridiculous, childish, and beyond unprofessional.

As far as the constant foot-stamping and tantrum throwing about "censorship" goes, this is a private forum with private ownership. They can make rules as they see fit. This is especially important when it comes to beating a dead horse. It is beyond obvious that some members, despite having nothing to gain, continue to attack one company/owner relentlessly. Yes, it appears to be a hack job operation, but the constant barrage of criticism smacks of vendetta. The comments have no professional value as they appear. They are personal. Yea, it is under the veil of "this guy is making the industry a joke," but the underlying truth is that someone cannot survive the day without bringing up more drama about an already known fact.

Also, this is obviously not "censorship," since the request to stop demeaning one particular company has been ignored and whined about by a select few on this forum. If they were truly censoring, the crybabies would have been banned by now.
                Originally posted by 5423
                Not only can they make rules, but they are responsible for making and requiring adherance to certain rules.

In other words, the owner(s) of this forum can and will be held liable for what we say. I repeat: What we say can bite them in the a$$.
                Originally posted by Taktiq
                I also agree that we should have the right to offer negatives in addition to any positives in regards to a particular company. But, I believe it should only extend to first-hand knowledge and definitely should stop when the negatives border on slanderous. If there's negative info, no one should name names but, needs to be as specific as possible. Unfortuantely, that doesn't happen as threads tend to get out of hand and become venting sessions of info of friends of friends.

BTW CTEXSEC1...nice avatar
                Originally posted by FireRanger
                I honestly don't think that the new policy truely restricts our ability to say something negative about a company completely, it only does so in a public fashion. As I have stated in another thread and have yet to be told by management that it can't be done. If you disagree with or have a negative view you could do the following;

A thread gets started asking about YourHomeTown Security Co. You can reply with, I worked for them, didn't like the experience if you want to know more PM or E-Mail me.

or you can reply with "Yeah I worked for YourHomeTown Security Co. in '04 at a Hospital in Philadelphia. If you want to know more about my experiences with the company PM or E-mail me."

The above IMHO says nothing negative about the listed company, because it doesn't say WHY you didn't like the experience. Perhaps you like armed work and the company in question doesn't do armed work, or allow you wear a gold plated desert eagle .50 pistol on your duty belt. Perhaps you are a complete warmbody who is useless and the named company wants only HSLD types regardless of post or assignment. So you don't like their above average standards.

Yes the new policy does to some degree restrict your ability to list your points off view, but it does so in a way to protect the forum. I belong to another forum and they have had this policy in place since probably the begining of their forum. I am not surprised that this has come to head, especially since a thread about a MN company had a link to an offsite news webpage. On that page was one comment directing people to SIW to find out about the negatives of said company. That sort of behaviour does throw a negative light upon this forum because now the whole world can truely see what is said on SIW not just people researching a specific company or security issues in general.

Anyways, its late and I am sorry if none of this makes sense, in short while I do not agree with the policy I understand the need for it and won't cry over any spilled milk.
                Originally posted by SecTrainer
                Let's put it another way. It's an abuse of privileges on a public forum like this to play whup-ass on a particular company or individual and it isn't fair to members who need the board for legitimate purposes because it puts the whole thing at risk. Better to observe some proprieties than to have the board shut down, no?

And of course there's nothing stopping anyone who wants to start their own Crap-on-Avalon forum, or blog maybe, and it doesn't even have to cost you a dime. When it's your own personal sandbox you can crap in it or do whatever blows your skirt up - and at your own personal risk. Just don't do it in someone else's sandbox where the rest of us have to deal with it. I don't want to come to SIW someday and get a "404 - Page Not Found" message - and don't think it can't happen.
                I even took the liberty of putting emphasis on the especially relevant parts.

As far as this goes:

Are you five? Seriously, act professional. If you don't like Avalon or Dan Seman because you wish you too had a gold-plated Desert Eagle, send him a letter. You evidently already know his address, etc.
                A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

• davis002
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by CTEXSEC1
                  What professionalism. It amuses me that you throw such a temper-tantrum and, in the same breath, criticize a company for its lack of professionalism.

Are you five? Seriously, act professional. If you don't like Avalon or Dan Seman because you wish you too had a gold-plated Desert Eagle, send him a letter. You evidently already know his address, etc.
                  Are you familiar with argumentum ad hominem?

Comment

• Nauticus
                    • Jul 2007

Instead of trying to save face, I suggest reading the posts that he highlighted. Some bring up the counter argument to yours, some give reasons for it being the way it is, and some even agree with you but they put it in a professional way with content. I'm not insulting your character when I say that your post was unprofessional and I could have expected better from a five year old. I know you're preaching "censorship = COMMUNISM!!", but if you ask me, we don't need 30 threads about the same company that everybody already knows may be failing.

There's a company in BC that I could make posts about every time they do something horribly wrong (which is often), but I don't. It's not relevant in the grand scheme of things. If you want to criticize and slander companies, go someplace else to do it. You are part of a community here with people with extensive experience in security and everything related to it, and SIW is a great pool of knowledge to learn from. Honestly, the people here have better things to do than slander Avalon over and over again.

Comment

• CTEXSEC1
                      • Mar 2010

There is a vast difference between indicating someone acting unprofessionally and attacking them personally. Your "points" have been nothing but childish, unprofessional, and outlandish.
                      A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

• integrator97
                        • Sep 2006

Have I missed something here? Has someone from on high come down and censored anything? Because I haven't seen it, just speculation. So I don't think we should accuse our hosts (SIW & staff) of censorship if they haven't committed it. Unless I did miss something.
                        sigpic
                        Rocket Science
                        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                        One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• CorpSec
                          • Jan 2007

I frequent many websites and see companies, products, and services absolutely trashed all the time! I am not talking about small mom and pop outfits either, I am talking about people tearing apart the new Apple Ipad, Microsoft products, large hotel chains and car makers.

This is the first website that I have seen that restricts negative comments about companies, products, and services.

It is protected speech. There is nothing wrong with giving your opinion about a company on the web, even if it is a very negative opinion.

Think of it this way, if it was easy to regulate what is said on the internet about a company, don't you think the international companies (Apple, Microsoft, Hilton, Wal-Mart, etc, etc) with BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars and hundreds of lawyers would have found a way to stop the negative comments and shut down the websites that allow negative dicussion of them and their products?

Comment

• CTEXSEC1
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by CorpSec
                            This is the first website that I have seen that restricts negative comments about companies, products, and services.

It is protected speech. There is nothing wrong with giving your opinion about a company on the web, even if it is a very negative opinion.

Think of it this way, if it was easy to regulate what is said on the internet about a company, don't you think the international companies (Apple, Microsoft, Hilton, Wal-Mart, etc, etc) with BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars and hundreds of lawyers would have found a way to stop the negative comments and shut down the websites that allow negative dicussion of them and their products?
                            1. What is being restricted? Is it the criticism of a company? Or is it the CONSTANT whining about the same company over and over and over?

2. It is not protected speech. Much like my ability to tell you to stop saying something or leave my home, this is a private forum and the owners have a right to restrict whatever goes on here. Your 1A right does not extend to private domains. Sorry.

3. Corporations have sued for libel and slander, google it.

Again, the point is that this a professional forum for professionals and some are acting like children on a playground.

Comment

• sgtnewby
                              • Jul 2006

Look, people from MN (dispite popular belief) do not only discuss Avalon. We discuss many other companies too. They just happen to come up a lot. Whatever states everyone else is from, I'm sure there are companies talked about from there too, by members from those areas. I don't read about them, because frankly, I don't care. And why would I care or get concerned about what anyone else has to say about a company where they live. If it's about a company in MN, I'm interested, wether I have worked for them or not. **DISCLAIMER** I have never worked for Avalon, nor do I know anyone that has

I don't read every single thread on this forum. If it doesn't interest me, I skip to another thread. I do not cry and whine in a post about how I do not want to read about that certain thread. That, is immature. Nobody said I have to read every thread. Nobody else has to either.

But, I'm glad to see people venting, that's why I started this thread. So, wether I agree with you or not, keep your opinions comming...
                              Last edited by sgtnewby; 05-19-2010, 01:58 AM.
                              Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

• Minneapolis Security
                                • Jun 2007

Maybe we could end this thread with lots of kind words about Avalon and Dan "the man with a golden gun" Seman? Anyone have something good to say? Anyone? Ok, i'll start. Google won't search for Dan Seman because it knows that you don't find Dan Seman, he find you!

Dan Seman doesn't sleep, he waits. I am sure there are other people who have some fun facts to share about him as well.
                                ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...