Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • semyazza
    • Mar 2009

No Drug Test

I just can't understand why a Company would feel compelled to advertise that in their listing. Anyone care to stare in disbelief with me?

• jtwestern
    • Aug 2008

unpublished cell phone in NY. Probably a "training" program or scam.

Comment

• Midol
      • Oct 2007

Because some people refuse to work for security companies who drug test.

Comment

• zm88
        • Nov 2008

I have yet to find a company that doesn't at least do a pre hire drug test.
        Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

• Midol
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by zm88
          Mine.

But I'd rather not post the company name. Some twat will probably email them telling them I think they hire incompetent guards.

Comment

• psycosteve
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by zm88
            With an industry that can hire you and have you on site with in 20 minutes is really going to drug test . With the cost associated with testing at $50-$70 an applicant I have yet to find one company that has tested me for security.I have had companies say that I am going to send you in for testing and they never get around to doing it or threaten testing if you screw up . For the most part drug testing has been stated in the job ad to discourage users from applying but this place must be desperate for people to apply and that should tell you volumes about the company. Be afraid be very afraid .
            Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
            Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

• zm88
              • Nov 2008

I somehow avoided the tests for bloomies and for allied barton, everyone else I've talked to had been tested. I don't why I wasn't, but just about all my friends that work for different companies have all been tested. Seeing how there's no state regulations for security here in MA at least companies are doing something. Then again I've worked security accounts with convicted drug dealers, so maybe not..
              Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

• Lawson
                • Jan 2006

I was drug tested at Wackenhut and Securitas, never at a smaller security co.
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                  • Aug 2005

Drug testing costs money. Unless the client is paying for it, many guard firms simply won't add the expense of drug testing to the hiring of a guard. Remember, it takes 20 minutes to hire a guard in most of these companies.

That's:

20 minutes of pay for the front office person who's "in charge" of getting you your uniform, filling out your new hire packet, and printing mapquest for you.

About $1.25 USD for the paper, ink, and power to generate that mapquest.

The W2 form is given out free by the IRS, so unless there's some company paperwork, there's not even the cost of the paper and printing of the new hire packet.

Also, large security companies can drug test because they absorb the cost of either on-site testing kits (pee in this, screw it shut, then put it in this bag and give it to me), or sending you to a lab. They can also ask for more money from clients in markets that don't require drug testing. And, finally, they might get an insurance discount (risk modifier index.)
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• integrator97
                    • Sep 2006

Here's a tip for smaller companies, to cut costs or to start testing. Buy test kits such as the one's from iCup. It activates in 5 minutes, and you have your reading, and it even has it on a flat side so you can copy it on a copy machine.

Put it in your policy that the company will test you, and if it comes up positive, will send you for a professional test. Or you can send the kit in for a professional lab analysis. The kits cost around $10 or $12 each, and test for multiple types of drugs. Just google icup, or drug screening, and you'll get a ton of options.

If they no they'll fail, they'll often tell you and save the hassle. If they fail the self test and know they've done drugs, they probably won't bother to go further.

BTW, these are also great for parents who have a kid with a problem. Or just to check.
                    sigpic
                    Rocket Science
                    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• FireRanger
                      • Jan 2009

I have been drug tested where I currently work, as well as for every other security I job I worked at except for one. It is my understanding that the policy of that company is 100% pre-hire drug testing, so I think I slipped through because they were in the middle of a mass hire for a contract take over from another company. Anyways I think that Security companies should require all candidates to go through a pre-hire drug testing. It is however my understanding that in some parts of Canada pre-hire drug testing is illegal except for some occupations, that may also be a factor in whether or not you get drug tested.
                      Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                        • Aug 2005

Administrative Notification

The word "twat" is unacceptable on this board. If you need to know why, dictionary.com is available. Citations issued.

Also, for owners who think drug testing is too expensive, there is always the iCup, yes. However, I have a feeling that some owners need bodies so bad that they can't afford to test -- that applicant you just found won't work, and then what do you do? You have 2 hours to fill the hole.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• BailBondInvestigator
                          • Feb 2009

I have drug tested for every job I have ever had....EXCEPT MY CURRENT ONE.
                          Tom Duprey
                          Owner/Relentless Risk Management

Comment

• Limo LA
                            • Dec 2007

Sorry for this is not security industry but I think it may be useful information for security industry too.

Charter transportation license (Limo company) are mandated for 2 types of drug test by state for company's listed drivers.
                            Scheduled (pre-hire & company license renew) and random.

test must be performed by licensed facility.
                            If random was called, test must be performed within 24 hours.

Those state mandated drug tests are not regulation to drivers.
                            Those are regulation to employer (to let driver take drug test)
                            Driver will not lose or suspended drivers license if they don't take drug test.
                            But company will get its license suspended or revoked if they don't let drivers take drug test.

company also have to participate to CHP (DMV) pull notice system.
                            That is CHP(DMV) will regularly send newest record of all listed driver's traffic violation to company.
                            With this system, Employer will get notice from State if driver get ticket, even driver didn't tell employer.

Well, Limo driver has potential to endanger public.
                            but so as S/O especially armed S/O.
                            I'm surprised by BSIS never regulate mandatory drug test at least firearm permit holder.

Maybe because one is department of consumer affairs (Security) and other one is Public utility commission (transportation) ?
                            Last edited by Limo LA; 10-27-2009, 07:06 AM.
                            Not many but few chauffeurs are armed to protect clients.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Limo LA
                              Sorry for this is not security industry but I think it may be useful information for security industry too.

Charter transportation license (Limo company) are mandated for 2 types of drug test by state for company's listed drivers.
                              Scheduled (pre-hire & company license renew) and random.

test must be performed by licensed facility.
                              If random was called, test must be performed within 24 hours.

Those state mandated drug tests are not regulation to drivers.
                              Those are regulation to employer (to let driver take drug test)
                              Driver will not lose or suspended drivers license if they don't take drug test.
                              But company will get its license suspended or revoked if they don't let drivers take drug test.

company also have to participate to CHP (DMV) pull notice system.
                              That is CHP(DMV) will regularly send newest record of all listed driver's traffic violation to company.
                              With this system, Employer will get notice from State if driver get ticket, even driver didn't tell employer.

Well, Limo driver has potential to endanger public.
                              but so as S/O especially armed S/O.
                              I'm surprised by BSIS never regulate mandatory drug test at least firearm permit holder.

Maybe because one is department of consumer affairs (Security) and other one is Public utility commission (transportation) ?
                              Remember, transportation was reformed in the 60s and 70s by the US DOT, and states followed suit. Commercial driving is heavily regulated because of OTR truckers popping speed to keep awake (and therefore make more money by keeping on the road longer) and then mowing down entire buses of nuns.

They can't just ban OTR trucking, labor is very powerful. So, they tried to reform it through heavy regulations.

If the security industry starts mowing down multiple busloads of nuns, then one of two things will happen: They'll try to regulate it out of existence (lack of protection in lobbists), or they'll try to 'reform it.' Considering the largest companies (the people who can afford to, and do, lobby states and the federal government) have the "unless the government makes our guards special police officers, we want them observing and reporting and not becoming involved" mindset, "regulating it out of existence" will probably happen. They can exist because, well, they have the money to jump through any hoops they come up with.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...