+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last

Thread: No Drug Test

Default No Drug Test

I just can't understand why a Company would feel compelled to advertise that in their listing. Anyone care to stare in disbelief with me?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sec/1437093892.html

unpublished cell phone in NY. Probably a "training" program or scam.

Because some people refuse to work for security companies who drug test.

I have yet to find a company that doesn't at least do a pre hire drug test.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Quote Originally Posted by zm88 View Post
    Mine.

But I'd rather not post the company name. Some twat will probably email them telling them I think they hire incompetent guards.

Quote Originally Posted by zm88 View Post
    With an industry that can hire you and have you on site with in 20 minutes is really going to drug test . With the cost associated with testing at $50-$70 an applicant I have yet to find one company that has tested me for security.I have had companies say that I am going to send you in for testing and they never get around to doing it or threaten testing if you screw up . For the most part drug testing has been stated in the job ad to discourage users from applying but this place must be desperate for people to apply and that should tell you volumes about the company. Be afraid be very afraid .
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

I somehow avoided the tests for bloomies and for allied barton, everyone else I've talked to had been tested. I don't why I wasn't, but just about all my friends that work for different companies have all been tested. Seeing how there's no state regulations for security here in MA at least companies are doing something. Then again I've worked security accounts with convicted drug dealers, so maybe not..
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

I was drug tested at Wackenhut and Securitas, never at a smaller security co.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Drug testing costs money. Unless the client is paying for it, many guard firms simply won't add the expense of drug testing to the hiring of a guard. Remember, it takes 20 minutes to hire a guard in most of these companies.

That's:

20 minutes of pay for the front office person who's "in charge" of getting you your uniform, filling out your new hire packet, and printing mapquest for you.

About $1.25 USD for the paper, ink, and power to generate that mapquest.

The W2 form is given out free by the IRS, so unless there's some company paperwork, there's not even the cost of the paper and printing of the new hire packet.

Also, large security companies can drug test because they absorb the cost of either on-site testing kits (pee in this, screw it shut, then put it in this bag and give it to me), or sending you to a lab. They can also ask for more money from clients in markets that don't require drug testing. And, finally, they might get an insurance discount (risk modifier index.)
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Here's a tip for smaller companies, to cut costs or to start testing. Buy test kits such as the one's from iCup. It activates in 5 minutes, and you have your reading, and it even has it on a flat side so you can copy it on a copy machine.

Put it in your policy that the company will test you, and if it comes up positive, will send you for a professional test. Or you can send the kit in for a professional lab analysis. The kits cost around $10 or $12 each, and test for multiple types of drugs. Just google icup, or drug screening, and you'll get a ton of options.

If they no they'll fail, they'll often tell you and save the hassle. If they fail the self test and know they've done drugs, they probably won't bother to go further.

BTW, these are also great for parents who have a kid with a problem. Or just to check.

Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.