Default How Much Did it Cost You to Become an Armed Guard?

And how long did it take for you to earn back what you spent?

Between the training, the license, the firearm, etc., it looks like it may cost me about $1600. Probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedGuardNYC View Post
    And how long did it take for you to earn back what you spent?

Between the training, the license, the firearm, etc., it looks like it may cost me about $1600. Probably more.
    $100 for my carry permit. $60 for the safety course to get my carry permit.

Quote Originally Posted by echo4serria View Post
    $100 for my carry permit. $60 for the safety course to get my carry permit.
    Is that all? Where do you live?

In New York, the training courses (8-hour, 16-hour, 47-hour) cost at least $575 total. The license application costs $340. The NYPD also requires fingerprinting, which costs about $100, even if your prints are already in the system. Then the firearm costs anywhere from $550-$660, plus ammunition, which is another $25-$30 (at least).

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedGuardNYC View Post
    Is that all? Where do you live?

In New York, the training courses (8-hour, 16-hour, 47-hour) cost at least $575 total. The license application costs $340. The NYPD also requires fingerprinting, which costs about $100, even if your prints are already in the system. Then the firearm costs anywhere from $550-$660, plus ammunition, which is another $25-$30 (at least).
    Massachusetts. There is no licensing for security personnel, armed or not. If you're lucky enough to live in a town that will actually issue an LTC (license to carry) for more than just hunting, then you can carry for all lawful purposes, to include armed security. The catch, though, is that since "armed security" doesn't exist in any official capacity, due to no licensing in place, and since open carry is very much frowned upon by LEOs (though not technically illegal), armed security officers occasionally get hassled by police. EXAMPLE: The town I lived in issues LTCs for all lawful purposes. The town I worked armed security in only issued LTCs that were restricted to hunting/target shooting. As such, on 3 separate occasions while working I was stopped by police, made to put my hands on a wall, disarmed, and made to present my LTC so they could verify that I was lawfully carrying. I was in uniform with a full duty belt at the time. Yeah, I hate MA.

I didn't include the firearm/ammo cost, because I owned several firearms before I became a security officer.

Massachusetts. There is no licensing for security personnel, armed or not. If you're lucky enough to live in a town that will actually issue an LTC (license to carry) for more than just hunting, then you can carry for all lawful purposes, to include armed security. The catch, though, is that since "armed security" doesn't exist in any official capacity, due to no licensing in place, and since open carry is very much frowned upon by LEOs (though not technically illegal), armed security officers occasionally get hassled by police. EXAMPLE: The town I lived in issues LTCs for all lawful purposes. The town I worked armed security in only issued LTCs that were restricted to hunting/target shooting. As such, on 3 separate occasions while working I was stopped by police, made to put my hands on a wall, disarmed, and made to present my LTC so they could verify that I was lawfully carrying. I was in uniform with a full duty belt at the time. Yeah, I hate MA.

I didn't include the firearm/ammo cost, because I owned several firearms before I became a security officer.
    Some cities or towns will issue the class b ltc for work purposes only. I would have been pissed if an leo had me up against the wall while in uniform. This state...
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

At least Teddy's gone...

Quote Originally Posted by zm88 View Post
    Some cities or towns will issue the class b ltc for work purposes only. I would have been pissed if an leo had me up against the wall while in uniform. This state...
    I don't believe you can carry on a LTC-B, only possess, and it can't be able to accept a high cap magazine, so you're limited to revolvers and single stacks, and low-cap rifles/shotguns of course. You might be thinking of the LTC-A with restriction: employment. And yeah, it's awesome getting disarmed and patted down when you're at the site you work at and in front of the residents you're supposed to be dealing with. That was my previous site, though. The one I'm at now is unarmed.

20 hour initial course - $300.00
    Licensing/prints - Maybe $100.00

The good thing is that u can use the 20 hour private security firearms course to get a CHL/CCW because it exceeds the requirements of the CCW course. Of course, the CCW is an extra cost.
    Last edited by FireEMSPolice; 10-07-2009 at 10:09 PM.

I don't believe you can carry on a LTC-B, only possess, and it can't be able to accept a high cap magazine, so you're limited to revolvers and single stacks, and low-cap rifles/shotguns of course. You might be thinking of the LTC-A with restriction: employment. And yeah, it's awesome getting disarmed and patted down when you're at the site you work at and in front of the residents you're supposed to be dealing with. That was my previous site, though. The one I'm at now is unarmed.
    SpoLs in boston are only allowed the .38's with certain ammo, so you're right on that. Its rediculous, you're expected to walk the projects or some of the worst parts of the city or state(armed non spo) and the people you're dealing with have a better arsenal than you do.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Cool > How Much Did it Cost You to Become an Armed office?

hmm I still have made it back.
    9mm training 125.00
    asp training 75.00
    oc/cs training 25.00
    12 ga training 150.00
    ar 15 training 150.00
    1st aid/cpr training 25.00
    beretta 92 f/s 600.00
    vest class II a with extra plates 600.00
    mossberg 590a1 tricked out 800.00
    m&p ar 15 tricked out 2100.00
    aww hell about 10,000.00