+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing a Brink's system

I have a house with a Brink's system, I have canceled my service with Brink's and would like to replace the control panel and keypads, and use all the existing sensors and wiring. What would the experts here recommend for a replacement unit? I need something that can be programmed from the keypad and would also like one that can send an alarm to my cell phone via a web connection ( I want to drop the home phone line too).

Thanks
    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Nothing I know of, that you won't have to pay a monthly fee on. Everything web uses a service. If you keep your phone line you can get a page.

Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

I'm really not up-to-date on the latest residential security products, but one way you could do this would be to put in a simple alarm panel with keypad, and then tie the alarm output to a separate web-based reporting device, such as the Sensophone Web600. http://www.sensaphone.com/sensaphone_web600.php

There is probably some type of alarm (or home automation) panel that has this capability bulit-in, but I am just not aware of it. (I have a hard enough time keeping up with the commercial stuff )
    Michael A. Silva
    Silva Consultants

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Consultants View Post
    I'm really not up-to-date on the latest residential security products, but one way you could do this would be to put in a simple alarm panel with keypad, and then tie the alarm output to a separate web-based reporting device, such as the Sensophone Web600. http://www.sensaphone.com/sensaphone_web600.php

There is probably some type of alarm (or home automation) panel that has this capability bulit-in, but I am just not aware of it. (I have a hard enough time keeping up with the commercial stuff )
    That's a pretty slick little item Silva. Not exactly inexpensive, but it is a neat item.

Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

So if I keep a phone line, what are good options for panels and keypads then?
    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Honeywell Vista, GE NX, DSC, Napco. They're all good, and pound for pound about equal. I prefer the 1st two, because that's what I'm used to. But after 18 years in the business, I would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. Some of the features vary, but not much in each price point. How many zones and keypads did you have.

A friend told me you can get measured rate phone service for about $11 a month. You pay for every minute used, even local, in his case .25 cents per minute (1/4 of a penny). Just use it for alarm and 911 only.

Or you could skip the phone line and spend it on monitoring, so if you're not reached the PD is still coming.

Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by integrator97 View Post
    Honeywell Vista, GE NX, DSC, Napco. They're all good, and pound for pound about equal. I prefer the 1st two, because that's what I'm used to. But after 18 years in the business, I would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. Some of the features vary, but not much in each price point. How many zones and keypads did you have.

A friend told me you can get measured rate phone service for about $11 a month. You pay for every minute used, even local, in his case .25 cents per minute (1/4 of a penny). Just use it for alarm and 911 only.

Or you could skip the phone line and spend it on monitoring, so if you're not reached the PD is still coming.
    I have been looking at the Honeywell Vista. I only have a few zones and 2 keypads. Is this one relatively easy to program via keypad?

Quote Originally Posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
    I have been looking at the Honeywell Vista. I only have a few zones and 2 keypads. Is this one relatively easy to program via keypad?
    A vista 15 will do you fine. None are easy if you're not familiar, but it's not rocket surgery either. The main thing is to get a feel for moving around within the program. You will need an LCD keypad for programming, in this case a 6160. PM sent.

Some of the others will let you program with an LED keypad, but you need to understand Binary, which is easier than most people think. But still, most tech nowadays don't even know how to do it.

Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

My suggestion is you'd better get an IP camera or a GSM camera.The first one you can watch your house through website when you are in your office or somewhere else. For the second one, you can get a picture from you cell phone with what's going on in your house.

Smile

I think that Visonic has exactly what you are looking for. Look for PowerMax PRO with PowerLink module.