Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • profitrocket
    • Jul 2008

Trash

May i have some opinions on trash bins inside grocery stores for public use. A big no no from a LP point of view?? or they simply keep the store free from litter?

Takers please.
    thanks group
    martin
  • Curtis Baillie
    • Jul 2006

Don't know the type of grocery operation you have, but if you have a bakery, salad or hot food bar that allows for on premise public consumption you need to have trash containers.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• profitrocket
      • Jul 2008

trash

Thanks for the reply curtis.
      Yes i totally understand that you need to have trash bins for the public, when dealing with those types of operations, like for example in a cafe, like we have attached to the side of the grocery store. inside
      But i am referring to trash bins being on the 'salesfloor' inside a grocery store. what is the need for them then if any?

Comment

• Curtis Baillie
        • Jul 2006

In that case, only in areas of the store where active food demos are taking place and under the control of the product demonstrator. Other than that - no.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• jtwestern
          • Aug 2008

Profit,

Trash cans are usually provided for public use since most grocery stores sell food to consume on site, or for those (me) who bring in outside coffee/beverage containers.

Are you asking about whether people use them as drops for stolen merch or what? Your question was a little vague as to what you are asking. Using it as a drop would require someone to root around in it and that would like a little suspicious.

Comment

• profitrocket
            • Jul 2008

trash

yes,
            for people to easily disgard of the packaging from which the product they have just stolen..
            in my supermarket you have a meat, fish, bread and deli counter for customers to pick their fresh goods, (not to be consumed there and then) and the rest of the store is all packaged goods. the grocery store cafe is a separate entity. sooo really what is the need for having bins in the store?? maybe for the guy like you who likes to bring his starbucks in...but then i have a army of cleaners to clean up the mess...
            what im trying to say is i think the bins are being used for dishonest behaviour...and also staff are just using them for a quick way to dispose of their plastic and cardboard.

i really cant think of any reasons why we need bins on the salesfloor? can u ???

If not, i think im gonna convince my big boss to get rid of them, from a loss prevention point of view..

agree with me?
            thanks
            profit rocket

Comment

• SecTrainer
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by profitrocket
              yes,
              for people to easily disgard of the packaging from which the product they have just stolen..
              in my supermarket you have a meat, fish, bread and deli counter for customers to pick their fresh goods, (not to be consumed there and then) and the rest of the store is all packaged goods. the grocery store cafe is a separate entity. sooo really what is the need for having bins in the store?? maybe for the guy like you who likes to bring his starbucks in...but then i have a army of cleaners to clean up the mess...
              what im trying to say is i think the bins are being used for dishonest behaviour...and also staff are just using them for a quick way to dispose of their plastic and cardboard.

i really cant think of any reasons why we need bins on the salesfloor? can u ???

If not, i think im gonna convince my big boss to get rid of them, from a loss prevention point of view..

agree with me?
              thanks
              profit rocket
              One of the real problems with unnecessary/uncontrolled trash containers in any venue is not what customers will do with them, but what dishonest employees will do, especially if they are the ones who also empty them (or collude with those who do). They simply become "transport containers" allowing the employee to haul stolen merchandise, equipment, supplies, etc. out the back door without raising suspicions. They either transfer the merchandise to their car if parked nearby, or come back and retrieve it from the dumpster later. Trash container and dumpster checks should be part of the security profile....and employee parking should be isolated from the loading dock/back door/dumpster area. Oh - and don't forget to lift up the butt-catcher tops on those outdoor standing ashtrays in the employee smoking area and inspect the rather large "dumping" compartment underneath. Nasty job, but it's gotta be done.
              Last edited by SecTrainer; 04-13-2009, 10:02 PM.
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

• Curtis Baillie
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by profitrocket
                yes,

agree with me?
                thanks
                profit rocket
                I think, from reading your posts, you are located in the U.K. Remember the business culture differences between the U.S. and the U.K. may very well dictate your companies policies.

Comment

• AmTheft
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SecTrainer
                  One of the real problems with unnecessary/uncontrolled trash containers in any venue is not what customers will do with them, but what dishonest employees will do, especially if they are the ones who also empty them (or collude with those who do). They simply become "transport containers" allowing the employee to haul stolen merchandise, equipment, supplies, etc. out the back door without raising suspicions.
                  SecTrainer is correct.

Many stores used clear can liners to make it more difficult to sneak products out in the trash.
                  www.AmericanTheftPrevention.com
                  www.SchoolTheftPrevention.com
                  Twitter: AmTheft
                  blog.AmericanTheftPrevention.com

Comment

• Curtis Baillie
                    • Jul 2006

Let's add a little to this thread. Who checks the trash before it is thrown out - and if your stores use EAS, are the trash bags run through the sensors before it is disposed of?

Just one of the many items on my retail security checklist.

Comment

• Bill Warnock
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie
                      Let's add a little to this thread. Who checks the trash before it is thrown out - and if your stores use EAS, are the trash bags run through the sensors before it is disposed of?

Curt, you and SecTrainer hit the nail on the head! I look in the trash containers on every survey I've ever done, government and consulting. I am in awe as to what people throw in the dumpster thoughtlessly or by design.
                      You have no idea how many pickup artists have been so angry when I switched or removed colored tape or other visual signal from the fence or exterior of some enclosure.
                      And the question of the day: "Are you the one charged with checking these containers?" "Who sir, me sir?! "Yes sir, you sir!"
                      As you both know, you can have fun with powder that magically appears when exposed to a black light! It is just so neat to see hands of "light fingered ones" when they light up an otherwise dull evening!
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

• Curtis Baillie
                        • Jul 2006

Bill - I've used theft detection powder many times, mostly to catch juvenile deviants who pull fire alarms in schools to get an early release. Works every time. Mother to school officials - How do you know my Little Johnnie pulled the fire alarm. Raise your hands Johnnie.

Comment

• jtwestern
                          • Aug 2008

Thanks to you both for clearing up the OP. I read it as just having trash containers...

Ooopss...

Comment

• SecTrainer
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie

Unfortunately, I asked a colleague who does retail about your question, and he indicated to me that many stores permit trash removal through doors that are not equipped with sensors. Great point.
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

• Curtis Baillie
                              • Jul 2006

Unfortunately most retailers have no policies on trash removal. The pass the trash through the EAS system policy was one I adopted in 1990.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...