Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FireEMSPolice
    • Mar 2007

Meijer Loss Prevention

There is a new Meijer being constructed here in town and its about done. Last week, I drove past and saw they were accepting applications so I stopped and filled it out on their computer for "Store Detective". On my way out, I was asked if I wanted to sign up for an open interview so I did.

Today I show up for my interview with certifications/training records in hand. A manager takes me back to his office and asks me what position I am interested in. I tell him Loss Prevention. He tells me he is only recruiting for other store positions like cashiers and stuff and he couldnt interview me for LP because it is a different department (Risk Management he called it). He further states he doesnt have a contact number for them to give me. He advised me that for this position they call when needed.

What gives?
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"
  • BailBondInvestigator
    • Feb 2009

That he didn't have a number for them is kind of silly. That he shunned them to focus on other sales related positions is par for the course (from what I hear) for retail in general.

What is Meijer?
    Tom Duprey
    Owner/Relentless Risk Management

Comment

• FireEMSPolice
      • Mar 2007

Just seems like getting hired as an LP is tough

Here is info about Meijer

Its kind of like WalMart

Comment

• Nauticus
        • Jul 2007

From my experience, that's relatively normal. Remember, Loss Prevention exists to cut back on employee theft as well, so oftentimes the department is not "integrated" into the rest of the company. Part of this often involves the department being managed and run completely separately from every other department in the store.

Comment

• SecTrainer
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Nauticus
          From my experience, that's relatively normal. Remember, Loss Prevention exists to cut back on employee theft as well, so oftentimes the department is not "integrated" into the rest of the company. Part of this often involves the department being managed and run completely separately from every other department in the store.
          That's correct. When I was with K-Mart, the LP unit was kept entirely separate from the retail unit and neither unit hired personnel for the other unit. In fact, store managers couldn't direct the activities of LP personnel, either. This only makes sense since LP needs the independence required to investigate the manager himself should the need arise.
          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

• Lawson
            • Jan 2006

An LP job I interviewed for once, they told me that everyone in the store is a store employee and works for the store, while the loss prevention people were corporate employees and worked directly for the corporate office.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

• rabidjade
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Lawson
              An LP job I interviewed for once, they told me that everyone in the store is a store employee and works for the store, while the loss prevention people were corporate employees and worked directly for the corporate office.
              That's how a lot of places were that I have ran across. The LP/Security chain of command reported directly to regional or corporate and didn't even touch the local chain of command. It's better that way in a lot of cases.
              Webmaster,
              http://www.policeposers.com

Comment

• Dec 2009

I am a store detective for the company and the manager was correct. We are employed by Meijer however we do not answer to anyone at the store level. Our supervisor (LP) is incharge of 10 stores and the detectives only answer to that person. I am surprised that he couldn't point you in the right direction, doesn't make much sense. All management people know how to contact the Security Team Coordinator. In case a detective was acting shady or something. Not sure if your still interested or not but I hope that helped.

Comment

• FireEMSPolice
                  • Mar 2007

Thanks for posting that. I found it odd management couldnt point me in the right direction. I guess they should be more clear when setting up open interviews as to what positions they are looking to fill. When I went to apply, you sat at a computer, filled out the app and on your way out, you put your name next to a time slot on a dated page and that became your interview date/time.

The Meijer is close to home and would be nice but I never got a call back.

Comment

• dhawk52
                    • Oct 2007

with it being a new store, I would imagine that they will transfer someone from another store. Someone that has experience to help with the start up. The manager either didnt want to go and look up the information for you, or was told not to worry about that side.
                    Just my two cents.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...