+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost & Found

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Default Lost & Found

How many of you work for departments that take care of lost & found items?

How long do you hold onto the items?

What do you do with unclaimed things?

Do you actively try to find the owners?

in my downtown hotel we take care of lost & found. During the last downturn in the economy it probably saved our dayshift. (Most other hotels cut theirs).

Quebec law says that lost & found has to be kept for 60 days. We keep items for 90 days.

Unclaimed items are given to the person who found them.

Most hotels do not attempt to find the owner. Why? "Hello, Mrs. Smith, this is the XYZ Hotel in Montreal. We just want to let you know that we found your nighty you left in the room yesterday when you checked out. What? you did not come to Montreal with your husband....." See why?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

A hosptial I once worked at kept the items for 90 days before they were destroyed. The itmes were places into white bags and logged into lost and found by an attendent. I wasnt around long enough to confirm this but I am told all the unclaimed bags were burnt in the hospital's incinerator since there was the potential for it to be a bio-hazzard.
    At my current job we will attept to return the item if it is something like a drivers licence, credit card or cell phone. Items like clothing or generally untraceable items are kept in a locker for 2 weeks before being dropped off at the salvation army. Jewlery is kept in a safe in the office.
    Unfortunately we dont get to keep the items we find.

If it something that can be linked to the owner (i.e. cellphone, debit card) I email them personally. Otherwise I send a Mass-Mail to everyone describing the item. If no-one claims it with in a week or so it goes into one of several copy paper boxes, unless someone expresses an interest in it. Every year the employees hold a "yard sale" to raise money for charity. I set aside the newest box of items and sort through the rest. Anything sellable I put in the sale. I drop eyeglasses off at a Lion's Club box. Valuable items get logged in the daily report and turned into Human Resources. Cellphones that cannot be identified (no Subscriber Identity Module) get donated to Cellphones for Soldiers.
    "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

My Security Dept. handles L&F for the hotel.

-Length of hold: 30 days for clothing, misc. items, toys, etc.
    90 days for items of value like watches, jewelry, money, purses, wallets, electronics, IDs, etc.

-Unclaimed Items: unclaimed items are given to the person that found it in the first place; Security, housekeeping, etc. If that person is no longer with the company, it goes to the SO that filed the L&F paperwork. If he/she isn't available, it goes up for grabs.

IDs, passports, credit cards, etc. are all destroyed if not claimed.

Managers/Security Director will try to make contact with a guest if a L&F inquiry form was filed due to a loss and the item located. Otherwise, it's up to them to call and claim it.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Just a short note about found drivers licenses. Some states require that found drivers licenses must be turned over to law enforcement authorities within a certain time frame. I've seen some instances where the requirement was 72 hours. I would check the requirement for your state.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post

I do.

90 Days

If its unlinkable, we throw it out. If its money, facilities management takes it.

Again if its linkable. IE: cellphone, credit cards ect.

Hope this helps.

I do

I don't know but will ask tonight at work.

Found items are logged and stored in our property vault/room.

If we know who it belongs to we will usually try to contact the person.

in my downtown hotel we take care of lost & found. During the last downturn in the economy it probably saved our dayshift. (Most other hotels cut theirs).

Quebec law says that lost & found has to be kept for 60 days. We keep items for 90 days.

Unclaimed items are given to the person who found them.

Most hotels do not attempt to find the owner. Why? "Hello, Mrs. Smith, this is the XYZ Hotel in Montreal. We just want to let you know that we found your nighty you left in the room yesterday when you checked out. What? you did not come to Montreal with your husband....." See why?
    My replies are in red.
    Hospital Security Officer

Lost & Found is generally the top drawer of my desk. I keep most items for 90 days, then check with management. Usually they tell me to do what I want with it, so either I or the other officer claim it.
    That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

The mall I worked at had Lost & Found

The policy stated 60 days but they would be in a locked cage for months

If unclaimed, they would be donated to charity or turned over to who ever claimed it, provided you left your information with Guest Reception

I highly doubt the mall went too far out of its way to contact the owner.

Lost & Found was inventoried each day to see what was turned in. Guest Reception staff has to keep a log and each day a Security Supervisor has to double check it at close of business and sign off on it. Valuables like ID's, Credit Cards, Passports, Cash, real jewelery, purses/wallets, etc are locked up in a safe and not with the rest of the lost and found.
    There is my response

Where I used to work we would log all lost and found items into a binder listing the description of the item, who found it, where it was found, and when it was found. We would then tie a tag to the item and a assign it a number for tracking. Valuable items like wallets, cell phones, jewelery, credit cards, etc. would be locked up in a filing cabinent that only the supervisor had access to. If at all possible we would try to contact the owners of the lost and found items if contact info was available. We really had no timeframe on when to get rid of the items.