Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kaia
    • Feb 2009

Tips for your Fire Extinguisher

Every home should have at least one portable fire extinguisher in their home that is easily accessible. Tips for your Fire Extinguisher

1 - Fire Extinguishers are divided into four categories-

Class A which is for ordinary use such as paper, wood, and most plastics
    Class B which is for flammable or combustible liquids like gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil
    Class C which is for electrical equipment like with your appliances, outlets, circuit breakers
    Class D which is for chemicals - this is typically found in chemistry labs

2 - Only use a fire extinguisher if the fire is considered small. Never try and fight a big fire with a fire extinguisher or a fire that appears to be spreading quickly. In fact, you should know what is even burning in order to recognize which type of fire extinguisher to use; otherwise you are putting yourself in danger.

3 - Check that the gauge of your fire extinguisher is in the "green zone." This means it is charged.

4 - Make sure you understand how to use the fire extinguisher before there might ever be a time to even use it. Click " here " for directions

5 - If you have a lot of smoke building up, get out quickly because carbon monoxide is the most deadly gas that is produced by a fire.
    Bullet Proof Vests
  • sec-guy
    • Aug 2008

Fire extinguishers are a "must" in my house.

My wife loved to toast peta bread in toaster oven. On two occassions
    the bread just burst into flame. There was no third time........I threw it out.

Comment

• integrator97
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sec-guy
      Fire extinguishers are a "must" in my house.

My wife loved to toast peta bread in toaster oven. On two occassions
      the bread just burst into flame. There was no third time........I threw it out.
      Which one? The wife, the bread or the toaster?
      sigpic
      Rocket Science
      Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
      One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• sec-guy
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by integrator97
        Which one? The wife, the bread or the toaster?
        Just the toaster

Comment

• HotelSecurity
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kaia
          Every home should have at least one portable fire extinguisher in their home that is easily accessible. Tips for your Fire Extinguisher

1 - Fire Extinguishers are divided into four categories-

Class A which is for ordinary use such as paper, wood, and most plastics
          Class B which is for flammable or combustible liquids like gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil
          Class C which is for electrical equipment like with your appliances, outlets, circuit breakers
          Class D which is for chemicals - this is typically found in chemistry labs

2 - Only use a fire extinguisher if the fire is considered small. Never try and fight a big fire with a fire extinguisher or a fire that appears to be spreading quickly. In fact, you should know what is even burning in order to recognize which type of fire extinguisher to use; otherwise you are putting yourself in danger.

3 - Check that the gauge of your fire extinguisher is in the "green zone." This means it is charged.

4 - Make sure you understand how to use the fire extinguisher before there might ever be a time to even use it. Click " here " for directions

5 - If you have a lot of smoke building up, get out quickly because carbon monoxide is the most deadly gas that is produced by a fire.
          Class D are actually flammable metals. (The ones that release oxygen when they burn & can even burn underwater).

Cooking oils are now classified as class K.

Not all extinguishers have pressure guages & not all that have them have a "green zone". Sometimes it is white or another colour.

When using an extinguisher always have an exit at your back.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• Bill Warnock
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
            Class D are actually flammable metals. (The ones that release oxygen when they burn & can even burn underwater).

Cooking oils are now classified as class K.

Not all extinguishers have pressure guages & not all that have them have a "green zone". Sometimes it is white or another colour.

When using an extinguisher always have an exit at your back.
            Good show HotelSecurity, good show! There is much confusion about Classes D and K.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

• integrator97
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
              Good show HotelSecurity, good show! There is much confusion about Classes D and K.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill
              I personally try not to have any burning helicoptors in my living room.
              sigpic
              Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

• craig333
                • May 2007

You forgot multi class extinguishers. ABC which most are nowadays.

When the air force had a bomber crash in the fields here in Sacramento, I don't remember, 20-30 years ago, when the air force guys arrived to extinguish the burning magnesium fires, they didn't use class d extinguishers. They brought large amounts of sand to dump on it. I was taking fire tech classes at the time and my instructor was one of the local responders.

Comment

• integrator97
                  • Sep 2006

Sand works well on magnesium or Class D fires. But it was always difficult to stockpile on a ship.
                  sigpic
                  Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

• HotelSecurity
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by craig333
                    I think he is from Britain. I don't think they use ABC extinguishers much over there. When I was in Northern Ireland I always saw a pressurized water extinguisher beside a CO2 where we would have an ABC.

Comment

• craig333
                      • May 2007

Interesting. Plus after I posted that I remembered I should have said "residential" as thats not so often the case in industrial situations.

It does pay to see what the extinguishers are you may have to use. I've seen some very inappropriate extinguishers in use before.

Comment

• Bill Warnock
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by integrator97
                        I personally try not to have any burning helicoptors in my living room.
                        Integrator97, we had some bright soul in Norther VA conducting an experiment with metallic sodium. He thought it best to pour water on it when things got out of hand. The whole house was gone in and instant and he critically injured.
                        Folks are liable to try anything!
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill

Comment

• HotelSecurity
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                          Integrator97, we had some bright soul in Norther VA conducting an experiment with metallic sodium. He thought it best to pour water on it when things got out of hand. The whole house was gone in and instant and he critically injured.
                          Folks are liable to try anything!
                          Enjoy the day,
                          Bill
                          Bill. The day after my science teacher showed us how a tiny piece of sodium reacted in water he was sick. We had a substitute teacher who knew nothing about science. Thank goodness there was only a small piece of sodium left otherwise I don't think I would be here today

Comment

• Paul Blart II
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by craig333

When the air force had a bomber crash in the fields here in Sacramento, I don't remember, 20-30 years ago, when the air force guys arrived to extinguish the burning magnesium fires, they didn't use class d extinguishers. They brought large amounts of sand to dump on it. I was taking fire tech classes at the time and my instructor was one of the local responders.
                            For Anyone, I have a Question . . .

I work as a security guard in a commercial office building. There are 4 or more fire extinguishers on each floor. Is there a one-day course and/or certification for using fire extinguishers ? If so, who offers this...the fire extinguisher compnay, or the company that provides/inspects them ?

I have never operated one, and I would like to be be able to use one effectively and efficiently, if need be. I would like hands-on experience, over just watching a video of one in use, although that would he helpful.
                            Paul Blart: "Safety never takes a holiday."

Comment

• HotelSecurity
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Paul Blart II
                              For Anyone, I have a Question . . .

I work as a security guard in a commercial office building. There are 4 or more fire extinguishers on each floor. Is there a one-day course and/or certification for using fire extinguishers ? If so, who offers this...the fire extinguisher compnay, or the company that provides/inspects them ?

I have never operated one, and I would like to be be able to use one effectively and efficiently, if need be. I would like hands-on experience, over just watching a video of one in use, although that would he helpful.
                              The montreal fire Department's Public Education division has 1 day courses. The first half of the day is theroy. The 2nd halfm is practical,use. It's free, your company just has to provide the extinguishers. Check with your local department.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...