+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question

Nate

I mean no disrespect, in fact quite the opposite, when I say
    Thanks for a bit of reality check. This is a smallish locally owned company that sublets space and services to other businesses (executive business suites) so I'm not sure how tightly their personnel structure is set up.

Quote Originally Posted by integrator97 View Post
    It depends what they're doing. The FBI isn't going to want to be bothered with some kid playing World of Warcraft on his wireless laptop over your network. Now if there is something serious going on, like the guy is hacking places from the tenants internet, or spamming, or child ****. That's different. But we don't know that yet.

Someone stealing the use of your internet connection is wrong, but you have to be proactive as well, before you make a federal case out of it.
    Leave us wow players alone

In all seriousness, what she claims which is stealing IP addresses implies that the tenant has knowledge of someone doing this.

I agree that if they are just piggybacking on the network, then the network manager (whoever that may be) isnt aware of even basic network security principles.

Please before you contact the FBI find out if this is just some person piggybacking, or if it someone actually using an IP address for some malicious purpose

If its the former, well integrator has covered the things you can do for basic network security ( if whomever is managing the network isnt 100% sure they can do these things, please hire someone to do this job, it needs to be done right), and his list isnt a to do list, its a must do list.

If its the latter, then i do stand by my suggestion

One of our Ops Managers will be out of Wednesday to look into it. He is very knowledgeable in this area and also has the appropriate contacts if necessary. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

While Nate is correct and I also doubt there's any "theft of IP addresses", I'd only modify his observations slightly concerning WPA to say that you can crack some but not others. The passphrase quality is the key to WPA security. Aside from social engineering techniques, cracking WPA ultimately comes down to using a brute force or "dictionary" hack against a captured passphrase (which takes a little skill, a card that has "monitor" mode and the ability to inject packets). Enforcing strong passphrases should ensure that such an attack could not be accomplished in an individual's lifetime unless they have access to some mighty fancy processing power.

WEP is another story altogether and should not be used anymore.
    A man who will not lie to his wife has no regard for her feelings. - Anon.

My school was so tough we had our own coroner. - Lenny Bruce

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas

which type of internet you are using?? if it is wifi then you can easily restrict your wifi with wap encrypted key.

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by arran.gregor View Post
    which type of internet you are using?? if it is wifi then you can easily restrict your wifi with wap encrypted key.
    I doubt she will answer you. The last tike she was on the forum was July 2011
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

I know this post is a bit old but here is my 5 cents worth.
    First I would have asked the victim, how do you know they are stealing your IP addresses?
    Secondly I would try & determine the motive for stealing the IP addresses.
    Thirdly I would try & keep my investigation as discreet as possible to maintain the element of surprise.