+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Costco Wholesale LP

Hey All, there's a lot of talk about walmart on here, I was just curious about another big retailer, Costco, anyone work for them or have? What their setup like? Good's/Bad?

You might want to try RLPX.com. It appears that nobody on this site has worked for Costco.

Thanks I'll do that

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
    You might want to try RLPX.com. It appears that nobody on this site has worked for Costco.

I'm good friends with the Loss Prevention Coordinator for several Costco stores in the region. From the sounds of it, each store has a handful of Investigators and the Coordinator manages the department for multiple stores. I know factually that the location near me has no surveillance equipment, and I've also been told (rumor alert!) that Costco Loss Prevention Employees can request searches done on suspicious people. This is made legal by the Costco card, which allegedly has fine-print that you waver that cautions you of potential search on Costco property. Again, not sure if this is true or not, but that is what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    I that Costco Loss Prevention Employees can request searches done on suspicious people. This is made legal by the Costco card, which allegedly has fine-print that you waver that cautions you of potential search on Costco property. Again, not sure if this is true or not, but that is what I've been told.
    Even if it was true, the fine print couldn't give them the authority to hold you against your will, if they did not have probable cause. Thus, if the fine print does state that you consent to search, you as a citizen would still have the option of simply leaving the store.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw064 View Post
    Even if it was true, the fine print couldn't give them the authority to hold you against your will, if they did not have probable cause. Thus, if the fine print does state that you consent to search, you as a citizen would still have the option of simply leaving the store.
    What if the fine print stated that, by entering the store, consent to search is implied? Then, if somebody decided to search, they would be required to consent a search. Correct?

I honestly have no idea, and realistically, it may even be false.

What if the fine print stated that, by entering the store, consent to search is implied? Then, if somebody decided to search, they would be required to consent a search. Correct?

Right, but the person could just walk away, and they couldn't stop them. If you said "Hey I'm going to search you, you agreed to it when you signed up for a card." I would just laugh and walk out; down to Sam's club. You couldn't stop me is from leaving is the point.

No, that is not correct.

Fair enough.

I've only had to deal with searching people before they enter (event security), and searching people after they're arrested, for my safety (loss prevention).

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't know how this works for American law, but in Canada you generally can't sign away your basic freedoms. This would mean, for example, that I could not an agreement that says that I can be searched as I leave property. Of course, there will always be exceptions of sorts, but this would not be one of them.

What you can do, however, is sign an agreement that if you do not consent to an action, then something else can happen. For example, you can sign an agreement that if you don't agree to be searched when you leave the store they can cancel your membership card. In this case, you haven't signed away the right to not be searched.