View Poll Results: What will be the effect of layoffs and U.S. economic downturn on crime?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • General economic crimes (robberies, break-ins, internal theft, embezzling, etc.) will decrease

0 0%
  • General economic crimes (robberies, break-ins, internal theft, embezzling, etc.) will increase

16 84.21%
  • General economic crimes will not be affected by overall U.S. economy

3 15.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poll: Economic effect on crime

Take this poll -- let's see what we all think:

Don't shoot me for saying this, but I don't think that we will see much difference in the crime rate.

Think about it. Sure, huge sections of the American economy have crahsed and burned and much of Wall Street is now heaps of smoking rubble, but really, what effect does this have on the average American? If you've invested heavily in the market, or your primary income comes from flipping houses, or you work for Circiut City, Ford, or DHL, you should push your Christmas off till March or so but otherwise life continues as before. People are even seeing their paychecks going a little further as the price of gas continues to drop ($1.97 in my New Jersey town is the lowest I've seen it).

IF we see a lot of layoffs in all sectors of the economy AND inflation causes peoples' paychecks to not buy as much stuff as it used to AND we see municipalities attempting to cut costs by cutting police presence AND we see small businesses going out of business and the remaining businesses cutting back on maintainance costs to save money (broken windows), THEN we will have a rise in retail crime.

Of course, all the conditions I just listed can and might still happen; we just have to wait and see. But if we (and by we I mean America) can get through the winter without losing our minds I think we'll be okay and the economy will rebound.

If.
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

I voted for an increase. While the initial impact may only be on stockholders, it trickles down to Joe the Plumber. We are already seeing a rise in unemployment. LE budgets are being cut hard in many areas. In the past month, 2 major California retailers have declared bankruptcy and are starting to shut their doors (Mervyn's and Circuit City) and 1 more is talking about that outcome (Toys R Us). If the large box businesses like these are struggling, do you really believe that the small businesses are not in worse shape?

We are at the doorstep to the doomsday you prophesied CameraMan.
    -Jedi-
    Semper Paratus

From what I hear from throughout the retail community - Crime has been sharply on the increase.

I think you'll see & hear of an increase in crimes of almost all types especially financial ones. Sam

Could it be a double edge sword for Contract Security? { Wackenhutt, Allied-Barton, Securitas}. Business slows down and cut back to one Guard per shift instead of two Guards per shift.

On the opposite side of the ledger, businesses close down their 2nd and 3rd shift, layoffs and with that peeved off and upset empolyess with factories closed from 1600 hours till 0800 the next morning leaves them vunerable to vandalizim. The call for increase Security. This has happened to me personally. I have worked at a factory normally humming on weekends.
    Now closed down on weekends, and the business owner contracted out for
    weekend Security. Until the closing of the weekend operations there was no
    weekend Security/
    Last edited by copelandamuffy; 11-12-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Based upon what I've heard and read from various media outlets, crime rates related to economic effects represents an empirical cost curve. It also appears the end is not in sight.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Quite possibly security might be one of the few industries that will do okay. With shoplifting and other property crimes seemingly on the rise clients might see the need to spend more on security. Unfortunately pay will probably go down, but there is the possibility for more job spots.
    "You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my Master."

A lot of people have been laid off already. Not only will a couple of those resort to crime, but you lay 53,000 people off at citigroup, how does that effect down the line. Maybe they use contract cleaning services, so that company lays off a few people. Some employees are undoubtedly execs, so a housekeeper or 3, a gardener, nanny's, etc.

As somebody above mentioned, it trickles all the way down.

Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Son-Of-A-Pilot View Post
    Quite possibly security might be one of the few industries that will do okay. With shoplifting and other property crimes seemingly on the rise clients might see the need to spend more on security. Unfortunately pay will probably go down, but there is the possibility for more job spots.
    Actually retailers are decreasing their LP staff members.