Default Addresable Panels and Devices

My dad just installed a fire alarm system from Silent Knight with addressable devices, and cannot stop raving about it. He says it cut his labor cost in half- his crew wired a five story commercial building in one week.

Anyone here use these things? What happens if a wire goes bad- wouldn't that cause a whole bunch of devices to go down?
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Quote Originally Posted by CameraMan View Post
    My dad just installed a fire alarm system from Silent Knight with addressable devices, and cannot stop raving about it. He says it cut his labor cost in half- his crew wired a five story commercial building in one week.

Anyone here use these things? What happens if a wire goes bad- wouldn't that cause a whole bunch of devices to go down?
    We use them all the time, well, not Silent Knight, but addressable systems. We use FireLite. (We also use addressable in security.)

If a wire gets pinched, it will generally affect all the deivces after the problem, which makes it fairly easy to find. The devices themselves are designed not to bring down the loop if they fail.

This isn't new technology, it's 20 years old or more. It saves wire, which is good with the price of copper, and labor. The devices (detectors, etc) are more expensive, so it's not beneficial on a very small system. Strobes and horns are the same for addressable and non-addressable systems.

Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Our company uses addressable systems where possible, the possible part depends on whether the client wants to pay for them, and from an installation and maintenance point of view they are great. In the old system if you wanted to isolate a single device you generally had to isolate an entire zone which would contain multiple devices, now you just isolate the device you want. As far as fault finding goes, with correct as built drawings it takes but a few minutes to find the fault and for maintenance just connect a lap top and testing and diagnostics is all automatic.

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

We have been & still are changing over from a zoned system to an addressable at my downtown hotel. With the old system we had 2 zones on each floor. It did nt tell us which room out of the 15 rooms in the zone. The addressable is great. It tells us exactly which room.Best oart is that the original system's wiring can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    We have been & still are changing over from a zoned system to an addressable at my downtown hotel. With the old system we had 2 zones on each floor. It did nt tell us which room out of the 15 rooms in the zone. The addressable is great. It tells us exactly which room.Best oart is that the original system's wiring can be used.
    Hasn't that been going on for a while now? How big is your hotel?

Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by integrator97 View Post
    Hasn't that been going on for a while now? How big is your hotel?
    500 rooms. The problem is they didn't close down to do it & they are installing sprinklers at the same time. They would instal the sprinkler pipes & the framing to build the false ceiling around them. Then they would have to remove all the scaffolding etc so the rooms could be sold for the weekend. Monday morning they would put everything back & continue. We still have the administration area to finish, 3 banquet salons & over the pool. BTW I never realized sprinklers were required over a pool

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    500 rooms. The problem is they didn't close down to do it & they are installing sprinklers at the same time. They would instal the sprinkler pipes & the framing to build the false ceiling around them. Then they would have to remove all the scaffolding etc so the rooms could be sold for the weekend. Monday morning they would put everything back & continue. We still have the administration area to finish, 3 banquet salons & over the pool. BTW I never realized sprinklers were required over a pool
    Ahh, I see. It's really the sprinklers taking the major time.

Sprinklers over the pool? Yea, that makes sense. I think the sprinkler lobby helped write that rule.

Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by integrator97 View Post
    Sprinklers over the pool? Yea, that makes sense. I think the sprinkler lobby helped write that rule.
    Laugh it up, smart guy. But when the swimming pool catches fire, don't come crying to me.
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Laugh it up, smart guy. But when the swimming pool catches fire, don't come crying to me.
    *Chuckle*

Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Dont you remember the horrible swimming pool fires of '07? Property loss alone was inestimable, and the horror of no fat guys in skimpy bathing suits