+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last

Default Ideas for where to hide outdoor cameras on or near a garage

I need to hide cameras, preferably wired cameras, outdoors on or near a garage - one on the right pointing left and one on the left pointing right. I am having a hard time being creative and coming up with covert locations. In a porch light would be ideal, but most porch lights don't have the room and I am also concerned with the extra heat. What kind of decorations do people stick on a garage that I might hide a camera in? All wires need to lead to the garage, drilling a hole in the wall behind the decor being one way to do it.

My reccomendation: don't hide them at all. Get a small bullet camera instead. By the time anyone spots them, it'll be too late- they'll already be on camera.
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Can you see the garage from the house? You could always have a camera pointing out a window towards the garage if it is in view. Otherwise, I would agree with CameraMan. Unless it is absolutely necessary to "catch" someone in the act of doing something, it is much better to deter anything from happening in the first place with a visable camera.
    Learn more about Video as a Service platforms:
    www.byremote.net
    www.offsitevideo.com

Default some ideas for your challenge

Since you're an installer, I'm guessing this is probably specified by a client... so suggestions of visible bullet cameras probably are out of the question. I would think you could do something with decorative trim or a large hollow finial hanging down from each corner of the garage eaves.

Maybe a non-solid finial (these stair finials - http://www.architecturaldepot.com/c/stair-finials/ - are similar to what I'm picturing. These don't seem to be hollow, but, I'm sure there are hollow plastic ones that can be purchased -- maybe check at Lowe's, or at a decorator's store). Or you could do some sort of weird hollow statuette if it's some sort of over-the-top European-style McMansion. Hiding cameras on a garage seems like it would be much easier on an ornate home.

You could always build some sort of interesting decorative trim box under the eaves to conceal a camera, too. Only a really discerning eye would recognize that box as out-of-place.

Let us know what you come up with. Welcome to the forums!

Geoff
    SecurityInfoWatch.com

Geoff - Good idea! You also reminded me that I've seen decor made to hang from gutters.

bjohs - the house is set back from the sidewalk with the garage being the most forward. The left camera will view mainly in front of the garage, watching the car and trash can areas (both have had vandalism). The right camera will look left and watch the walkway to the house as well as the front yard area (which has also had vandalism to the plants).

In regards to hidden vs visible, the goal is to catch who is doing the vandalism.

Thanks Bill. I've experimented with infrared vs Sony ExCam (.0003 lux) and I am currently thinking the Sony's will be going into the decor without infrared. This particular installation is shaded for much of the day (and rains half the year) and in theory the cameras will be under the eaves, so I am not anticipating a huge problem with blooming. It also has a street light right there as well as the floodlight in the center of the garage, which will be using real floodlight bulbs once the new cameras are in.

Admittedly my experience with security is less than most of you as I primarilly do home automation, so I appreciate tips on things like avoiding blooming.

Another product you may look into is motion detector outdoor lights with the camera built in. They are concealed and also provide a level of security when the light comes on.

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    In regards to hidden vs visible, the goal is to catch who is doing the vandalism.
    Here is a question for you about the above approach - what will you or your client do if you catch someone on the video vandalizing a property? Do you know what entails to go forward legally against such vandalism or costs associated with possible prosecution or possible restitution (if provided you will pursue this as a criminal case) vs. if you were to decide to take such party in a civil case?

The answers are not that easy as it may seem...

Rooney - I've been trying to find a model of motion detector floodlight cam where the cam is concealed. Supercircuits used to carry a good one that had the camera hidden in the motion detector that they would configure with an ExCam. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued. I have seen others that I don't like as much because the camera is not concealed or the camera is not low light enough. A bullet camera mounted to a floodlight is too obvious for this application and most cameras above .05 lux just aren't good enough.

MetzLyov - That's a different and involved discussion, and one that doesn't have an answer yet. The key is to get the evidence first, then identify the person, then determine what to do about it. Is it a close neighbor? Is it someone known or unknown? Is it a member of the neighborhood association? Is it someone not part of the neighborhood at all? Why are they doing it? Different answers to these questions would lead to different results.