+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kohls LP

Default Kohls LP

First off Hi...Love this site!

Can anyone give me any info on Kohls Loss Prevention. I have an interview coming up for an LP Supervisor position, but honestly don't know too much about their LP program. Any ideas on training, salary, and anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Can't say much about how they operate but on a daily basis the cops are called to pick up another shoplifter from the local Kohls. The head LP guy is also a police detective for the town and when he calls the Calvary comes running.

One thing I thought was not so good was the day shift LP called that a lifter was in the store contrary to an order of no trespassing that was issued to her (A Felon charge in this state) the last time she was caught lifting there. The responding cops asked where the LP could be found and the reply was working a check out station as a lunch fill in. A known trespasser in the store and LP couldn't observe and report what she was doing or where she was. Not to cool.
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Yikes! Not cool in my book.

I may pass on this anyway as I was just notified I could be getting a pretty good promotion where Im currently employed. Thanks for the input none the less.

I'm currently a LP Supervisor at Kohl's...even though you're not really considering the position anymore I'll give some info for anyone else that might be interested.

First of all, nobody in my district would ever work on a register. In fact, we are not permitted to operate the cash registers at any time, which is a company policy, so it sounds like the situation in the store you're describing would be a very isolated incident. At Kohl's, Loss Prevention operates independently from store management, and we report directly to the District Loss Prevention Manager, so you wouldn't encounter a situation where a store manager makes you do something. Of course we work WITH the executive staff on shortage/shrink issues, but they don't boss you around or make you work on registers or go pickup carts in the parking lot or whatever.

However this illustrates the lack of consistency I've found within Kohl's when it comes to policies and duties. A few other LPS's in my district originally came from east coast Kohl's locations which operated very differently. They both say that on the east coast, both of their district managers were much more theft-oriented, with most of their time spent on external and internal theft resolution. Out here on the west coast, our DLPM's are focused a lot more on operational issues (audits, paperwork, etc.) and it seems like theft resolution is a 2nd priority. We have a large amount of paperwork and forms to complete, which for me ends up leaving about 50% of my day to work on theft, and the rest on FORMS.

You asked about salary...at Kohl's LPS is an hourly position (although some areas have a "LP Manager" which I believe is a salaried position). It starts around $15/hr depending on experience where I live.

Training sucks, and that's probably the biggest fault I've found with Kohl's LP. They have this computer based training thing all new hires go through, and it's basically the LP Manual (a 6 inch thick book) in computerized form (think a 300 page PDF file). Most of the training relies on hands-on stuff, and you basically learn everything you need to know from whoever trains you. I ended up having to figure out how to do a lot of basic stuff on my own, because it's just simply not covered in training materials. Of course they cover apprehension guidelines and stuff in the training manuals, but when it comes to researching stuff on the computer (a big part of the job), how to complete certain forms, and lots of other stuff you're on your own (at least I was).

Also, the apprehension guidelines are very....conservative. I don't want to post the specific guidelines as this is essentially a public forum, if anyone wants specifics you can PM me.

That's about it...if anyone has any further questions feel free to reply and I'll get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Burned08 View Post
    Training sucks, and that's probably the biggest fault I've found with Kohl's LP. They have this computer based training thing all new hires go through, and it's basically the LP Manual (a 6 inch thick book) in computerized form (think a 300 page PDF file).

Also, the apprehension guidelines are very....conservative.
    That's about it...if anyone has any further questions feel free to reply and I'll get back to you
    Kohls has a computerized training manual for their LP to make it easier for new-hires to go through the training process. They also have proof that every LP associate has completed and passed every section.

The apprehension guidelines are conservative as they must comply with the laws in every state they operate in. They want everyone to work under one policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
    The apprehension guidelines are conservative as they must comply with the laws in every state they operate in. They want everyone to work under one policy.
    That is a really good point I think all of people misunderstand. To be honest, I never understood why we couldn't do more as instores but this makes a lot of sense.

Kohls has a computerized training manual for their LP to make it easier for new-hires to go through the training process. They also have proof that every LP associate has completed and passed every section.

I understand the legal reasoning for the conservative policy, but it's just frustrating sometimes when you miss out on apprehensions due to the conservative policy, when my counterparts across the street at another store would have been able to make the apprehension. I know the liability issues are probably not worth it, but for someone who is passionate about catching shoplifters it gets to you.

As far as the training goes, yes there is a paper trail for newly hired LP associates, but "completing and passing" the sections of the computer-based training is as easy as clicking the "next" button. Sure the DLPM quizzes you on the high points on the training during your certification interview, but a lot of information is pretty much left for you to figure out yourself.

I'm not saying I don't believe in the "trial by fire" methodology of training, but I still think Kohl's LP training needs a major overhaul. We had a visit from someone very high up in corporate LP a few months ago, and he essentially admitted this in a meeting, as he came from a store previously where the training was very thorough. Supposedly they are working on re-tooling the training as well as many other aspects of LP operations, so I hope to see some of those changes soon.
    Last edited by Burned08; 06-17-2008 at 08:04 PM.

If you're ever in a position to meet and talk with Randy Meadows, I think you will find him very open to discussion.

If you're ever in a position to meet and talk with Randy Meadows, I think you will find him very open to discussion.
    That's exactly who I was talking about We had all the LPS's in the district get together with him, and we probably spent half of the 2 hour meeting talking about strengths and weaknesses of the training program. As you said he was very open to suggestions and I was very impressed with how genuinely interested he was in improving the program.

Burned08: What do you think about the new lpsystems website that Kohls dedicated to the Loss Prevention team? Makes filling out the Weekly Business Reviews a thing of the past huh?! Which Kohls do you work for? PM me