Default How do I become a Certified Protection Officer?

I just recently got promoted to head of security at the mall that I work at and am interested in building my credentials. I noticed that there are quite a few Certified Protection Officers on this forum and was wondering, how did you guys go about getting your CPO? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
    Erik
    111th PAPD Class
    Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Also, what is the difference between CPO and CSSM? I am looking at the IFPO web site right now where it says six months security supervisory or management experience is mandatory to qualify to become Certified in Security Supervision and Management Program. Would it make sense to wait half a year to become a CSSM rather than a CPO?

Thanks,
    Erik
    111th PAPD Class
    Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Security View Post
    Also, what is the difference between CPO and CSSM? I am looking at the IFPO web site right now where it says six months security supervisory or management experience is mandatory to qualify to become Certified in Security Supervision and Management Program. Would it make sense to wait half a year to become a CSSM rather than a CPO?

Thanks,
    Erik
    SEE POSTING IN GENERAL DISCUSSIONS PAGE.

you can also PM me if you have any questions.

Justice_Hound
    LP Manager and Certified Protection Officer Instructor.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    -George Orwell

I'm not sure what the law where you are is but here you are only authorized as an spo to enforce the law in the jurisdiction that sponsors you. Since we all go to the same academy it just seems stupid. Guess the city cops don't want you to shoot up a little country town after being trained on their dime.
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Security View Post
    I just recently got promoted to head of security at the mall that I work at and am interested in building my credentials. I noticed that there are quite a few Certified Protection Officers on this forum and was wondering, how did you guys go about getting your CPO? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
    Erik
    Erik - the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) has a publication entitled Guide to Writing a Shopping Center Security Manual. I think it's about $30 for nonmembers. They also have a lot of other shopping center management publications that could be very useful in giving you the "big picture" about mall management.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 01-26-2008 at 07:31 PM.
    A man who will not lie to his wife has no regard for her feelings. - Anon.

My school was so tough we had our own coroner. - Lenny Bruce

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas