+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2 3 4 5 Last

Thread: *Boot Review*

used canadian army combat boot i bought it in a army surplus 2 year ago 15.00 buck and they are still good and very comfii

Yeah I reckon GP army boots would be pretty hard wearing (they need to be), not fond of steel caps though as they tend to leech the heat out of your feet (not too good in cold climates)... currently getting superb (comfortable) mileage out my Doc Martens
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Default looking for new boots, forgot were i seen them

i think they were danners, i forget which catalog they were in, i remember 3 model of that brand on the page and the ones i wanted had some weird sole, they were srt or swat something like that and i'm pretty sure they were danners, they were black leather and nylon with a smoother sole with a weird patern on the bottom, yet had a classic look. they may not even make them anymore. anyone know what i'm talking about?

Default shoes and boots

OK guys you are soooo lucky . My day job is a cobbler, I repair shoes and boots all day + do the orthotic work for those that need it my best customers are Cops. EMT, lawyers,and tree climbers. I do not know of any security officer that has worked in security for any length of time that dose not have problems with their feet, check around at your local cobbler and see if he has an I step. it is the same machine the foot Dr. (Pediotrist) uses and charges you $300.00 to analyze your feet (we do not charge for the service). Once the diagnostic is run the cobbler can order the insert for you for about $62.00 +/- depending on the cobbler. It usually takes about a week to get them in.

A good pr of shoes should be able to be resoled (why pay $200.00 for a bic lighter use it one and throw it away). on the climbing / walking boots the soles can be replaced with what is called a cup sole.
    It is sad to have one of the local cops come in with a pr of expensive work shoes that cannot be fixed because of the way they are made (plastic mold injection).

A well made boot can be gotten from
    Chippewa Boots: Boot Collection

As for water proofing use Montana Pitch it is one of the best ones out there you can order off the internet.(make sure to work it into the seams and stitches).

Hard to zip zippers ....That is easy take a little candle wax or bees wax rub the zipper teeth then slide the zipper a few times (you have to lube them once in a while).

Steel toe boots can cause foot problems if you have to wear them get the ones with the plastc toe cup.

DO Not use kiwi shoe polish it will dry the leather out and cause it to crack at the flex point if you prefer a paste wax use cadalac or Kelly I use Urad it cleans shines and conditions all at once.

You have to take care of you equipment well your shoes are an important part of the equipment as a side not cobblers can also fix eq. belts and holsters.

Blood

I am currently using a pair of Rocky boots (I think it's the Alpha style). They are holding up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodsng View Post
    DO Not use kiwi shoe polish it will dry the leather out and cause it to crack at the flex point if you prefer a paste wax use cadalac or Kelly I use Urad it cleans shines and conditions all at once.
    That is interesting thanks! I've always used KIWI polish as the DM specified polish was insanely expensive (locally)... sadly my DMs have already got that cracked joint look, I just figured it was part and parcel of leather footwear usage
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Default cracking boots

Kiwi is a petroleum based product what you need is a carnuba based product, petroleum dries the leather where carnuba although a plant product is the closest to the natural pH of leather and there fore "feeds" the natural "oils" of the leather.
    Those in the shoe repair industry have been complaining to Kiwi a long time , I think they finally came out with a premium polish but they may have just renamed it you know how some of these co. are.

Blood

* Danner Striker II GTX 4.5*

bought these about 3 years ago. Light weight. Short cut. Web tongue helps keep some water out. Prefect for summer. I like the way they felt. They did not wear out easily. The hold a shine decently too. Not the most comfertable pair of boots I have worn as i prefer the feel and fit of 8 inch boots. but for being a low cut boot they werent to bad. i give them a B.
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Exclamation A retraction!!!

Because of a shortage of funds, I bought a pair of Brazos Jungle Boots. Surprisingly comfortable once I got them broken in, which took about 3 days. I still only give them a B-.

After 7 days of owning these, my second IDENTICAL pair, of Brazos boots, I will give them a solid F The first pair was good, but this pair has started to fall apart, in fact, it has already been returned to the retailer.
    Last edited by doulos Christou; 01-09-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Rocky AlphaForce

D+

I have owned 4 or 5 AlphaForce boots. Each pair falls apart within a year. Each pair develops a hole in the heel of the right boot. Rocky just blows it off after I brought it to their attention. The boots are comfy. If they werent, it would get an F. Regardless, I will NOT purchase another pair. I will move on to something else.