+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

I've never heard of an explorer being sworn. That would violate the BSA charter, among other things...

Ok, I know several of you were former Explorers. Were any of you ever sworn?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

I was an Explorer, my commission/ID card says "[Name] is a duly appointed and sworn police officer of the City of ----------- who holds the rank of Explorer"

However; no, it was not actually a sworn position. Some Explorer posts are not affiliated with BSA or Learning For Life however; so I imagine somewhere out there, there might be some sort of program which grants their "explorers" some sort of authority or commission, though I have yet to see one.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Quote Originally Posted by S/O245
    If a person with out "powers" say puts cuffs on a person i belive that could be false inprisonment etc. Or somethin along those lines. Im sure if you cuff a person and you dont have powers that person belives at that time he she is either detained or arrested. When 9in fact you dont have authorization to do either.

[. . .]

I have no arrest or detain powers with my current assignment.
    You may not be a sworn law enforcement officer, but you can always perform a citizen's arrest. In addition, detaining/arresting a person does not always imply handcuffs, either. Any time a person is not free to leave they are effectively under arrest. For example: If you are assaulted, and you overpower the attacker and hold them on the ground until the police have arrived, you have basically performed a citizen's arrest on that person. There is no difference in the fact of whether or not they are handcuffed.

As long as there is nothing in your state law preventing you from carrying handcuffs, you are free as a private citizen to utilize them in any case where you are empowered to make a citizen's arrest. Just be darn sure you can articulate in a court of law why you had good reason to handcuff the subject (i.e., safety reasons) and be sure you are trained to do it in a safe, secure, and non-excessive manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Security
    Excuse my ignorance (maybe this gun thing is even worse than I realized) but how can someone under the age of 18 legally be in possesion of a firearm?
    ??? There is no possession involved. It's called extreme circumstances. I've been in ride-alongs with police officers before and have been told the same thing: "Here's the shotgun release lever. If the **** hits the fan and I get hurt/killed, pull the lever, rack the shotgun, and you're good to go."

If an officer gets shot, the least of his worries is whether or not the underage police explorer ride-along can legally be in possession of a firearm.

If i made a typo im sorry no i wasnt sworn. I didnt have to be sworn to use it in an extrem emergency. Its life or death and we chose to pick life if it ever happend. Only people sworn are OPOTC OPOTA certifed LEO's. And the Police Clerk was sworn as a Police Clerk.

As far as an ID we had a Dept issued ID and issued badge. Our badge said Explorer at the top and below that our city and police below that and for the badge number it was the exp post number. Our patch said city (name) police and below that EXPLORER.

Stay Safe All

Quote Originally Posted by S/O245
    [. . .]

As far as an ID we had a Dept issued ID and issued badge. Our badge said Explorer at the top and below that our city and police below that and for the badge number it was the exp post number. Our patch said city (name) police and below that EXPLORER.

Stay Safe All
    Sorry for the confusion. I was actually responding to one of your earlier posts in which you were talking about the use of handcuffs while employed as a security officer, not while as a police explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by LPGuy

??? There is no possession involved. It's called extreme circumstances. I've been in ride-alongs with police officers before and have been told the same thing: "Here's the shotgun release lever. If the **** hits the fan and I get hurt/killed, pull the lever, rack the shotgun, and you're good to go."

If an officer gets shot, the least of his worries is whether or not the underage police explorer ride-along can legally be in possession of a firearm.
    Thanks for the news flash LPGuy, but that issue was already clarified in post #59. Next time read the thread before posting.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Default 1asterisk (new member)

Introduction of myself. I was born in Minneapolis, MN. My education after high school was at North Hennepin Community College in Brooklyn Park. Obtained an AA degree in law enforcement. The next step was in Bloomington, law enforcement training center to complete skills (police academy). I was a law officer for about 4-5 years until a major injury. I moved to southern California starting as an armed guard resulting in being a bail agent (bounty hunter) along with being a body guard for Hollywood movie stars. I ended my career after a shooting in south central Los Angeles. Moved to Florida. In security work I am the handcuff carrier. Los Angeles and other areas in Southern California the Police expect you to have the subjects in (custody) upon their arrival along with my incident report. My next step was to fill out citizens reports. I found this web site due to it was ME who put Florida security guard with handcuffs in the computer to find the results. I will get off my rambling to allow feedback. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by 1asterisk View Post
    Introduction of myself. I was born in Minneapolis, MN. My education after high school was at North Hennepin Community College in Brooklyn Park. Obtained an AA degree in law enforcement. The next step was in Bloomington, law enforcement training center to complete skills (police academy). I was a law officer for about 4-5 years until a major injury. I moved to southern California starting as an armed guard resulting in being a bail agent (bounty hunter) along with being a body guard for Hollywood movie stars. I ended my career after a shooting in south central Los Angeles. Moved to Florida. In security work I am the handcuff carrier. Los Angeles and other areas in Southern California the Police expect you to have the subjects in (custody) upon their arrival along with my incident report. My next step was to fill out citizens reports. I found this web site due to it was ME who put Florida security guard with handcuffs in the computer to find the results. I will get off my rambling to allow feedback. Have a nice day.
    You would want to make this post in the Introduction forum. This thread is 4 years old.

In the state of South Carolina a Security Officer can carry handcuffs due to state law giving them the same authority as a sheriffs deputy.
    It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. So always carry a Big Gun

Default 1asterisk (new member)

Handcuffs are common tools for security in California. The problem is that some security personnel need training due to many factors. While handcuffing an individual you NEVER lose control as the handcuffs can be used as a weapon with a swinging arm (handcuffs attached) can strike the security officer in the head/face or other painful areas.