Default Security guard tackles Convention Center pooper

The fun part of dealing with the public. A homeless guy did this once on the front steps outside of my post just as I was walking around the corner. I asked him to clean up his mess. He found a paper sack and did his best to get it removed.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...center-pooper/

A Washington State Convention Center security guard tackled a man Sunday who was reportedly caught crapping on a public walkway. During the day.

Police were dispatched to the Convention Center Sunday afternoon on reports of security fighting with a man on the second-floor walkway that crosses above Pike Street, according to reports.

Cops arrived to find a security guard on top of another man, detaining him in a headlock.

After police broke up the two, the guard told cops he was taking a break when he spotted a man defecating on the walkway.

The guard said he confronted the man, which caused the pooper to grow angry. The man began to walk away and the guard followed, advising his dispatcher to call police, reports say.

The two men “exchange(d) words” until the alleged defecator turned and began to sprint toward the guard, his hands raised as if he was about to attack, according to police.

The guard put the man in a head lock in self defense and took him to the ground.

When contacted by police, the man admitted to pooping on the ground, but claimed he had a bladder issue and that the guard attacked him without provocation.

Cops took him to the West Precinct, but he was sent to Harborview Medical Center after complaining of various ailments.

Upon checking the man’s background, they learned he lied about his name.

Good thing public pooping is a less serious infraction in the city’s eyes than unattended dog poop. And the man didn’t try to burn his waste.

The guard said he confronted the man, which caused the pooper to grow angry. The man began to walk away...

Never should have got further than that, once the guy went to walk away, let him go. Mission accomplished. Everything that happened after this point is on the guard.

Don't get into pissing contests. If they pound ground after you confront them, let them go....The whole point is to get/keep troublemakers off property.
    Last edited by UnsupervisedCanadian; 08-12-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Proper Tags
    "Big City turn me loose and set me free."--Merle Haggard 'Big City'

"If somebody gets in your face and calls you a ----sucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."<--Patrick Swayze, Roadhouse.

Stop The World & Let Me Off.

Safety First, All Else Second.

Quote Originally Posted by UnsupervisedCanadian View Post
    Never should have got further than that, once the guy went to walk away, let him go. Mission accomplished. Everything that happened after this point is on the guard.

Don't get into pissing contests. If they pound ground after you confront them, let them go....The whole point is to get/keep troublemakers off property.
    Generally speaking I agree, although we have to remember that we don't know what this guard's post orders or other instructions might have been, and we can never rely on published reports about any incident which are always lacking in the kind of specific detail that might have made this situation far different than it might seem from the published article.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-12-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    A man who will not lie to his wife has no regard for her feelings. - Anon.

My school was so tough we had our own coroner. - Lenny Bruce

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas

Quote Originally Posted by SecTrainer View Post
    Generally speaking I agree, although we have to remember that we don't know what this guard's post orders or other instructions might have been, and we can never rely on published reports about any incident which are always lacking in the kind of specific detail that might have made this situation far different than it might seem from the published article.
    This is true. It also does not detail the "words" security and the homeless man exchanged. Like you say, it's all in the details.
    "Big City turn me loose and set me free."--Merle Haggard 'Big City'

"If somebody gets in your face and calls you a ----sucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."<--Patrick Swayze, Roadhouse.

Stop The World & Let Me Off.

Safety First, All Else Second.

It would also depend on his level of training. I don't remember the headlock being part of basic DT training. What level does it fit on the continuum of force scale again?

The "headlock" is usually the more colloquial term for "lateral vascular neck restraint" which can be taught in DT. It can be leveled at either tye restraint level all the way up to deadly force.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Or it could just be the way a reasonable amount of force was used to contain a fighting individual by a SECURITY Officer who was trying not to get beaten.

I highly doubt that the security officer was trained in lateral vascular neck restraint due to it's possible deadly consequences (Seattle P.D. and State Patrol have banned its use). Makes me wonder the level of training they provide.

Security Officer Full-Time

Hourly Wage $20.48. Security Officers are responsible for ensuring the safety and security of the Convention Center facility, property and occupants through security patrol and the monitoring of security systems. The Officer must also provide information and respond to Convention Center guests in a customer service oriented manner. This position requires a high school diploma or GED and at least two years of security officer experience.

I think it's impossible to judge the officer's response without knowing which way the individual was heading after the incident. If he was leaving the site then he should not have been stopped. But if going into the interior of the site, he should have been approached.