Default CrowdSourced Coverage or Cloud Cops

I once provided security for three different locations at the same time. Building A was a factory. Building B was a blood laboratory on the other side of the highway. Building C was an airplane hangar somewhere in Europe. I was physically at one location and monitored video for the two other locations at the same time.

Just wondering, just brainstorming or just daydreaming (at night) and wondering WHAT IF a company, say an empty factory for example put its video camera coverage online, in real time, so anyone from anywhere in the world (who had nothing better to do) could watch it and what if perks were handed out to people who sounded the alert when suspicious stuff happened? Obvious there are technicalities, again I am just thinking.

I was just thinking back to people who have allegedly haunted houses who post live videos on site and ask viewers to make note of anything suspicious that happens.

Obviously it would require a contact email for emergencies, and would require screening to avoid false alarms. I was just super impressed by the Reddit community when the Boston Marathon bombings occurred. And yes, I know the horror of the event mobilized a huge amount of people who wouldn't be attracted to watching a boring factory online. I was just thinking about the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Shark View Post
    I once provided security for three different locations at the same time. Building A was a factory. Building B was a blood laboratory on the other side of the highway. Building C was an airplane hangar somewhere in Europe. I was physically at one location and monitored video for the two other locations at the same time.

Just wondering, just brainstorming or just daydreaming (at night) and wondering WHAT IF a company, say an empty factory for example put its video camera coverage online, in real time, so anyone from anywhere in the world (who had nothing better to do) could watch it and what if perks were handed out to people who sounded the alert when suspicious stuff happened? Obvious there are technicalities, again I am just thinking.

I was just thinking back to people who have allegedly haunted houses who post live videos on site and ask viewers to make note of anything suspicious that happens.

Obviously it would require a contact email for emergencies, and would require screening to avoid false alarms. I was just super impressed by the Reddit community when the Boston Marathon bombings occurred. And yes, I know the horror of the event mobilized a huge amount of people who wouldn't be attracted to watching a boring factory online. I was just thinking about the idea.
    The US Border Patrol does this. They have a site where you can sign up to watch border surveillance. When you see something you press an "Alert" button and then fill out a quick form, it sends a screenshot and the form report to their dispatch and they decide to send units or not.

The only difference is, us Americans want to secure our borders and we feel that it is our duty, some more than others, to keep our borders secure. So this method works. In fact, I did this for one day for ****s and giggles while working on a school report. Within two hours I saw a boat come to shore and start unloading packages, I alerted and within 15 minutes the Calvary was there taking some badguys down.

However, why would anyone feel personally invested to protect a business?

Awesome!!!!!!!!

Your idea is not far off, but there are a few things to consider. The decision maker needs to be thoroughly trained and should put their feet on site so that they can see the physical property and surroundings. The last thing that you want to do in security is waste the police department's time with false calls. This is what has happened in the world of alarms.