Default 'Firing' Over Legal Marijuana Called Mistake, Man Gets Job Back

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/leg...b-back-n153276

Kodiak Security got some media attention over this one.

BS. Should be held to the standards of his contract. Friggin Dopers.

Easy fix for security - most companies have a clause that roughly says, "I will abide by all local, state and federal laws." Still illegal under Federal law.

For everyone else, the floodgates are now open. I understand pot doesn't have the same effect on people as alcohol the morning after (i.e. hangover), but IMHO regular dope use leads to decreased efficiency.

What I couldn't believe was the number of normal looking people lined up. I'm nervous. Would you want your accountant smoking pot every night? How about your delivery driver? How about the nurse assisting with your surgery?

We have one employee (not in my department) that uses it for "medical" (mental, not physical) reasons. Dumb mistakes, none too serious, are par for the course. You can't tell me it isn't because of the weed... The great social experiment begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Condo Guard View Post
    The great social experiment begins...
    This is what I would call yet another example of the industry racing to the bottom. For an industry that has continually looked for the lowest applicants to fill a site. An industry also puts under trained, under qualified and under equipped people on site so why not high as well. Combine this with the illegals getting guard cards in CA, even security is now calling security a joke. When the most asked question by new hires on their first day on site is when do they piss me you can see that it really does not matter anymore. What is the difference between being high and sleep deprived in regards to driving to site and being coherent . This just opened up a huge segment of the population to being able to work the security field in a warm body capacity. This is nothing but more then "Contract Fodder" being used to fill the ranks. I can only imagine how messed up the AAR's are going to be when they are started out with Yo dude you aint going to believe this .
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Condo Guard View Post
    Easy fix for security - most companies have a clause that roughly says, "I will abide by all local, state and federal laws." Still illegal under Federal law.

For everyone else, the floodgates are now open. I understand pot doesn't have the same effect on people as alcohol the morning after (i.e. hangover), but IMHO regular dope use leads to decreased efficiency.

What I couldn't believe was the number of normal looking people lined up. I'm nervous. Would you want your accountant smoking pot every night? How about your delivery driver? How about the nurse assisting with your surgery?

We have one employee (not in my department) that uses it for "medical" (mental, not physical) reasons. Dumb mistakes, none too serious, are par for the course. You can't tell me it isn't because of the weed... The great social experiment begins...
    What they do in their free time is none of my concern. As long as they're not high while driving or assisting with surgery it shouldn't matter. You could say that marijuana use eventually leads to deficiency in work performance, but if it does come to that an employee will be fired regardless of the reason. I know this argument's overused, but marijuana isn't even as bad as alcohol, yet we don't society in crumbles. And we don't see our surgeons coming in drunk.

Agreed - but if what you do on your off time can affect your performance on the job, then it is the employer's business. What should be done is a study of work performance and marijuana use. Pilots are not allowed to consume alcohol so many hours before a flight, because the FAA recognizes it could affect their performance on the job.

The trouble is, all this is occurring now that the horse has left the barn. For example, various studies are now coming out about marijuana use and its effects on teenagers brains (which are still developing). Would have been nice if this had all come out before the elections in WA and CO...

The information about marijuana has been out for YEARS! The problem is that we allowed users to dictate what science would be accepted and reported.

I think these so called pro medwana medical or vendor types are using this to make money. Stating that it's good for those who can't afford standard medical care and treatment for illnesses. Or that what drugs are out in the market a patients system cannot tolerate or use.

I suppose there is some merit to that idea. Thing is I believe though I could be wrong any general practice doctor can write a treatment plan for you if that state supports medwana.

So do you have to go in and get the medical version or can you start growing your prescription on your back porch?

I wonder if this could help my sinuous issues I have every few months? :P
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-If you try to shoot the messenger, this one shoots back

-It's just a job kid, deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Default I...Dont understand

Pot is pot. Most jobs in legal/enforcement type have drug testing or drug/booze rules. The job im at now, we do random drug/booze tests. If I would come up posititve, Id have to take another one, if I failed that one...drugs.. I don't think Id have a job unless they offered me some sort of drug rehab program...I don't know in my Dept. Never had a issue.

I don't know if I would want a pot head working with me....I don't know if I could trust his response/actions. I would honestly request shift change. I wouldn't want to work with the pot head.

I deal with drugs often in my job. Since Im a unsworn officer...I do have a little leeway in how I act on certain issues. Ie. Drugs. I normally have them destroy what they have. And I educate them.

I ask them... Who they bought it from...and their buyer...and their buyer...and their buyer and maybe the grower.

Out of those people.... Who has a gun? because often.. Drugs and guns go hand in hand?

Someone knows you...someone knows you go here. If someone gets pissed off... Someone can give them YOUR name and location and then your "problem" becomes my problem and I DO NOT WANT YOUR PROBLEM -.-