Default Best undergrad degree for future career in security management?

I'm currently doing an undergrad degree in Criminal justice.. however upon browsing these forums I've found that might not be the best path for security management. What would you recommend? A normal management degree? I could switch schools and go from Minnesota to John Jay for a bachelors in security management but I would rather just get my Master's in security management from there and stay local here for my bachelors. I plan on going into the army upon graduation with my degree and completion of ROTC. Any insight into what employers would rather have would be helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by deebs914 View Post
    I'm currently doing an undergrad degree in Criminal justice.. however upon browsing these forums I've found that might not be the best path for security management. What would you recommend? A normal management degree? I could switch schools and go from Minnesota to John Jay for a bachelors in security management but I would rather just get my Master's in security management from there and stay local here for my bachelors. I plan on going into the army upon graduation with my degree and completion of ROTC. Any insight into what employers would rather have would be helpful!
    How far along are you in your current degree program? It wouldn't make good sense at the undergrad level to make a program change unless the work you've already done will transfer fairly seamlessly to the new program. For instance, shifting from CJ to business means a whole different set of requirements for the major, etc. and you'd be limited as to how many of the CJ courses you've completed could be used as electives in the business program.

On the postgrad level, for anyone interested in management you can't beat an MBA.
    A man who will not lie to his wife has no regard for her feelings. - Anon.

My school was so tough we had our own coroner. - Lenny Bruce

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas

Default Best Undergrad Degree For Future Career In Security Management?

Deebs914,

Welcome to the forums from a fellow Minnesotan. What college are you currently attending?

Jim

If it is possible, I reccomend you earn a degree that is useful outside the world of security/law enforcement. Criminal Justice degrees are not necessary to be hired in LE/security (although there are exceptions). I recommend that a person has a fallback plan. Security/ LE may not workout, you might get injured or you may want to change careers later in life.

No matter what you decide, I wish you luck in you schooling and future career.

Stay safe.

Musta just been a drive-by question.
    A man who will not lie to his wife has no regard for her feelings. - Anon.

My school was so tough we had our own coroner. - Lenny Bruce

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas

Sorry, I currently attend SCSU. I already put in a year into a international relations degree but I lost interest in the subject matter so I want to switch majors. Well...what was interesting for me for our CJ major is that you get first responder cert. POST cert. which would save some time. The CJ classes seem more interesting than anything else right now. I understand the degree is not useful for much outside of its focus.

Default Best Undergrad Degree For Future Career In Security Management?

Saint Cloud State University is a fine place. Have you considered a double major in Business and Criminal Justice? Or, perhaps a major in Business and a minor in Criminal Justice.

I believe most of the classes for the BS. in Management take place in the Herberger Business school. I have a slight interest in that but no interest in any of the other business related degrees. Mostly, due to the number of math and stat courses that are required. I try to avoid those courses. All I need is a major...I will be starting ROTC and that will give me a minor in military science. The criminal justice coursework just interests me more so than an accounting class etc. However, a management degree would have a lot of options to work with. mmm

Do what interests you as a student. That's what increases learning.

I say Business Management. This degree can pretty much take you anywhere - Minus LE (unless its with State Patrol).