+ Reply to Thread

Default Attention florida security personnel

:
    Governor signs amendments to Statute 493
    As of June 16, 2014, Governor Rick Scott has signed the DOL's Bill amending §493, Florida Statutes. Most significantly, the Bill permits Class "G" Licensees the additional option of carrying either a .40 caliber handgun or a .45 ACP handgun during the performance of their duties and allows Class "D" licensees to work in plain clothes without waivers or limitation of assignment while providing bodyguard or executive protection services. This legislation will officially become law on July 1st 2014. We express our thanks to Division Director Grea Beavis and Commissioner Putnam for supporting FASCO in our efforts to pass this important industry legislation. Director Beavis has been a powerful advocate of the DOL's Bill, working diligently to gain support for and ultimately ensure this legislation passed. Because of Director Beavis' hard work, this endeavor has become a success and he is to be commended for this victory.
    Here is the language now incorporated into §493:
    493.6115 Weapons and firearms.—
    (6) In addition to any other firearm approved by the department, a licensee who has been issued a Class "G" license may carry a .38 caliber revolver; or a .380 caliber or 9 millimeter semiautomatic pistol; or a .357 caliber revolver with .38 caliber ammunition only; or a .40 caliber handgun; or a .45 ACP handgun while performing duties authorized under this chapter.
    493.6305 Uniforms, required wear; exceptions.—
    (4) Class "D" licensees who are also Class "G" licensees and who are performing bodyguard or executive protection services may carry their authorized firearm concealed while in nonuniform as needed in the conduct of such service

Default Attention Florida Security Personnel

That certainly is interesting regarding the calibers of the handguns. Although I am not from Florida, I do recall reading that there were restrictions on security sidearms. Ironically, this comes at a time when many police agencies near me are coming back to 9 mm. When I started cop work I was given a Smith & Wesson Model 10 in .38 special. When I bought my revolver for my full time PD, I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 66 in .358 magnum. Several years later, when we were authorized semi-automatic pistols, I bought a 3rd generation Smith & Wesson Model 5906 in 9 mm. I carried that for a few months after I switched to a sheriff's office. Then they gave me a choice of Glock Model 22 or Model 23 and I selected a Glock 22 in .40 S&W. Where I am at now we are given a Glock Model 21SF in .45ACP. There has been talk here of us returning to the Glock Model 17 in 9 mm.

Makes sense - it should be up to the security agency what their personnel carry depending on the site, client, etc.

Every armed guard I saw in Los Angeles when I was there for 3 weeks appeared to be carrying the largest caliber Glock available. As long as everybody is trained and licensed correctly, I think caliber is a decision made based on threat level, location, etc., not by statute.

Wasn't their some sort of bill a while ago that would give security guards arrest powers in Florida?

It was not arrest powers per-say. It was a bill to allow a guard to detain someone with physical restraint with in reason awaiting law enforcement to take into custody. Protecting them from unlawful "arrest" or "detainment" while doing so. Though any private citizen has the same ability this bill was to augment it in regards to precarious liability and action by a licensed security guard. Honestly I do not know if this bill was changed or killed, or made into something else. Since all I do anymore is traditional O&R I don't keep track of that too much these days.
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-If you try to shoot the messenger, this one shoots back

-It's just a job kid, deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

I'm pretty sure that bill was killed before it was ever presented, Echo.
    "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.