+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

On a side note, it'll be interesting to see what happens with contract security positions (and security companies) in Seattle with the minimum wage going to $15. My guess is that it won't be good.

The thing is, you can't just look at the $15 as the "cost" to business, because obviously it has a proportional impact on what's paid for overtime, it will be necessary to increase the supervisors' wages proportionately, and it will cost the company proportionately more in other payroll costs such as the company's share of the employee's SS contribution.

But it doesn't stop there. Clients will also be paying out more in labor costs in just the same way, and I'm reasonably sure that will probably mean they will have less to spend on contract services of all kinds, not just security. This translates to the security service being squeezed from both sides.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 06-05-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    A man who will not lie to his wife has no regard for her feelings. - Anon.

My school was so tough we had our own coroner. - Lenny Bruce

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas

Quote Originally Posted by SecTrainer View Post
    On a side note, it'll be interesting to see what happens with contract security positions (and security companies) in Seattle with the minimum wage going to $15. My guess is that it won't be good.

The thing is, you can't just look at the $15 as the "cost" to business, because obviously it has a proportional impact on what's paid for overtime, it will be necessary to increase the supervisors' wages proportionately, and it will cost the company proportionately more in other payroll costs such as the company's share of the employee's SS contribution.

But it doesn't stop there. Clients will also be paying out more in labor costs in just the same way, and I'm reasonably sure that will probably mean they will have less to spend on contract services of all kinds, not just security. This translates to the security service being squeezed from both sides.
    With most of the sites I have worked at security was always an after thought, as in how to keep insurance cost down. The only thing that is really going to change is the cost of doing business. Security companies will still continue to sell pseudo security to clients who think they are getting real security at bargain prices. The only real difference is that companies will be less likely to get security as the savings on their insurance will be far less then the cost of security. Hell most clients want security to be neutered until it all breaks loose, then clamor when things get out of control .
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith