+ Reply to Thread

Default Some companies don't make sense....maybe someone can help.

So I've been dabbling with the idea of leaving the company that I am a Lt. FTO at and make alright money, for another company as an "Armed Officer" and make a heck of a lot more money. A company which I will not name because I don't badmouth companies.

So I sent in my resume and instantly got a reply and an interview.

Now the job listing they had had said " Minimum 5 years experience as Military, Law Enforcement, Corrections, or Armed Security. Minimum 2 years using a firearm in the work place".

Okay. I have 10 years as Armed Security. I am a current F.T.O. , I am second in command of an entire company currently..sweet I qualify. Sweet I over-qualify even.

So I go to this interview, Fill out the official application and sit in a waiting room where I can overhear a just hired officer make excuse after excuse of why he cant find this paperwork for them, why he cant find his CCW permit, why he cannot give them any of the required documentation ...mind you he has already been hired. After that I sit down with the guy who's doing the hiring. He looks at my resume *10 full years of employment history, NRA Tactical Level II firearms instructor certs, 7 front sight training certs, 1st responder cert, FEMA Emergency management cert, CPR, CCW, class 3 cert, self defense certs, fire level 1 cert. also the state 100 hour pre-police service certification. He says "that's impressive!"

He then looks at my job history , containing everything from Armed executive protection, to armed static positions and armed patrol, filling the last 10 years of my life and states "oh..see what were looking for is here" and makes a line with his finger, then states "and you're right there" and places his finger under other finger.....and says to me "you've got experience but not enough".

Me being dumbfounded.... I reply with " I don't quite follow sir, I have 10 years experience in the field, and hold enough certifications to to be a shoe in for most law enforcement agencies. The job listing said the minimum requirement is half that of what I have. How am I not qualified for this?."

He then replies "well you have a lot of experience, but if you had 2 years as police, it would be no question but we are looking for prior military, prior corrections.. or prior law enforcement. You need to know how to retain a weapon because you will be around people".

Being more dumbfounded I asked " with due respect sir, what gives you the impression that after 10 years of service, and all of my qualifications I would not know how to retain my weapon , also your ad says police, military, corrections OR armed security. " which the man replies "well you have experience in armed security. not law enforcement."

I asked "Isn't this interview for a position as a armed security officer?" He replied yes but you don't have enough experience. I will forward your resume to our HR department but I see your chances as slim. "

I am dumbfounded. I leave the interview respectfully, shake his hand and thank him for his time. But I cannot for the life of me understand what tree this man fell out of , and how, or why a Security company, which is hiring armed security officers. finds someone with 10 years industry experience and enough accreditation to fill a binder is "not experienced enough" to fulfill a job position in the field he has 10 years of experience in????

Anyone have any ideas? What is going on with this company. The post an ad requiring experience, you fulfill that requirement and suddenly you're not experienced at all? I'm lost haha

Quote Originally Posted by LtStretch View Post
    So I've been dabbling with the idea of leaving the company that I am a Lt. FTO at and make alright money, for another company as an "Armed Officer" and make a heck of a lot more money. A company which I will not name because I don't badmouth companies.

So I sent in my resume and instantly got a reply and an interview.

Now the job listing they had had said " Minimum 5 years experience as Military, Law Enforcement, Corrections, or Armed Security. Minimum 2 years using a firearm in the work place".

Okay. I have 10 years as Armed Security. I am a current F.T.O. , I am second in command of an entire company currently..sweet I qualify. Sweet I over-qualify even.

So I go to this interview, Fill out the official application and sit in a waiting room where I can overhear a just hired officer make excuse after excuse of why he cant find this paperwork for them, why he cant find his CCW permit, why he cannot give them any of the required documentation ...mind you he has already been hired. After that I sit down with the guy who's doing the hiring. He looks at my resume *10 full years of employment history, NRA Tactical Level II firearms instructor certs, 7 front sight training certs, 1st responder cert, FEMA Emergency management cert, CPR, CCW, class 3 cert, self defense certs, fire level 1 cert. also the state 100 hour pre-police service certification. He says "that's impressive!"

He then looks at my job history , containing everything from Armed executive protection, to armed static positions and armed patrol, filling the last 10 years of my life and states "oh..see what were looking for is here" and makes a line with his finger, then states "and you're right there" and places his finger under other finger.....and says to me "you've got experience but not enough".

Me being dumbfounded.... I reply with " I don't quite follow sir, I have 10 years experience in the field, and hold enough certifications to to be a shoe in for most law enforcement agencies. The job listing said the minimum requirement is half that of what I have. How am I not qualified for this?."

He then replies "well you have a lot of experience, but if you had 2 years as police, it would be no question but we are looking for prior military, prior corrections.. or prior law enforcement. You need to know how to retain a weapon because you will be around people".

Being more dumbfounded I asked " with due respect sir, what gives you the impression that after 10 years of service, and all of my qualifications I would not know how to retain my weapon , also your ad says police, military, corrections OR armed security. " which the man replies "well you have experience in armed security. not law enforcement."

I asked "Isn't this interview for a position as a armed security officer?" He replied yes but you don't have enough experience. I will forward your resume to our HR department but I see your chances as slim. "

I am dumbfounded. I leave the interview respectfully, shake his hand and thank him for his time. But I cannot for the life of me understand what tree this man fell out of , and how, or why a Security company, which is hiring armed security officers. finds someone with 10 years industry experience and enough accreditation to fill a binder is "not experienced enough" to fulfill a job position in the field he has 10 years of experience in????

Anyone have any ideas? What is going on with this company. The post an ad requiring experience, you fulfill that requirement and suddenly you're not experienced at all? I'm lost haha
    With some companies they will claim to be looking for more people and may in fact take out an add in a paper or online . Security being all about profits will put on a show or act to give the appearance of them hiring more people to keep the people doing extended hours while things are busy. Or on the other hand this could of been a low ball tactic. The company wanted armed guards for sites but to give them unarmed sites until armed sites opened up. I have seen companies hire for part time jobs and then say they are only looking for full time positions. Case in point I applied to a mall and I got an interview . I went to said interview and was told that I was hired for a full time position and when I told them I was looking for a seasonal part time job as I already have a job they got a little weird about it. I ended up not taking the job as I told them what I make at my current job with health benefits would be less then what I would be making there full time. One of the interviewers said " we will match what you are making " I told them to " put it in writing and I will consider the offer" The managers got offended by that last statement then things went down hill from there. Sufficed to say I did not get my offer in writing but at that point I did not care.
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

My guess is you're over qualified and they know they can't pay you what you're worth. By trying to sell you the "You're under qualified/don't fit what we're looking for" line, they're planting the seed and prepping you for a low ball offer.

Quote Originally Posted by AcaciaCon View Post
    My guess is you're over qualified and they know they can't pay you what you're worth. By trying to sell you the "You're under qualified/don't fit what we're looking for" line, they're planting the seed and prepping you for a low ball offer.

With you on this one.

I agree. They are low-balling you. And, with that kind of experience under your belt you deserve better than working for such cab driver quality management. I can't believe you have that much cred and he was trying to downplay you. Unless we are talking about you would be guarding cops who guard the President....yah, I don't see how you did not have enough experience.

Kind of reminds me of the last time I looked for a security job. I took an extensive test online late one night and was immediately called as soon as the office opened the next day. I was practically begged to come into the office for an interview. I decided to get a hair cut, buy some nice clothes, brush up my resume and make sure all my business contacts were in order. I aced the interview. Had people laughing. Had them responding positively. They already mentioned several sites they could put me at. In fact I was PROMISED that they would get back in touch with me the next day or by Friday the latest. I left there feeling really good. What happened? Friday came and went, as did the following Monday and Tuesday. I ended up calling the company and was told the guy was unavailable. I called again and was given the same line. I called again and he wasn't returning calls. I ended up leaving a few voice mails simply to see what the response would be. I finally left a message with the secretary that I wanted my application destroyed. I told her that if they couldn't keep a simple promise to a potential employee that I didn't want to experience such poor management when a crisis happens. ((I fully expected NOT to be called immediately. I knew as soon as he spoke that he was unreliable. I just knew it. He seemed flaky. But I still got my hopes up.)) But when days and days pass and no calls get returned? Bah! He ended up saving me time I would have regretted working for a bad company.

And that last line goes for the OP as well. Yes, it sucks that someone downplayed your qualifications.......reminds me of when I was a manager at Subway Foods and the owner said that I was NEVER to hire someone who showed up in a suit. He said someone who wears a suit isn't going to stick around here. He is simply going to use it as a step forward.

Don't take it personal. You were probably TOO qualified and he feared you might take his job eventually.
    Last edited by Guard Shark; 07-23-2014 at 02:29 AM.