+ Reply to Thread

Default How do you tactfully ask about salary?

I'm looking around at other security positions, mostly to see what's out there. I've noticed in our area most of the hospitals are silent in their ads and postings about the salary, probably due to competition and ongoing mergers, etc.

How and when do I bring it up? Do I say something if called for an interview (so I don't waste their time or mine), or do I go and if they don't mention it bring it up at the end? (Or wait for an offer?) The trouble is there seems to be a pretty broad range for hospitals - starting wages as low as $15.00 p/h and as high as $21.00 p/h (although that seems to be for on call positions, where you sit and wait and then jump in your car as soon as you get a call).

I don't want to be "that guy" who calls up and says, "How much you pay, man?" I've been at my current position for a long time, so I don't know what the etiquette is.

Just have someone else call and pretend they are interested in the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Condo Guard View Post
    I'm looking around at other security positions, mostly to see what's out there. I've noticed in our area most of the hospitals are silent in their ads and postings about the salary, probably due to competition and ongoing mergers, etc.

How and when do I bring it up? Do I say something if called for an interview (so I don't waste their time or mine), or do I go and if they don't mention it bring it up at the end? (Or wait for an offer?) The trouble is there seems to be a pretty broad range for hospitals - starting wages as low as $15.00 p/h and as high as $21.00 p/h (although that seems to be for on call positions, where you sit and wait and then jump in your car as soon as you get a call).

I don't want to be "that guy" who calls up and says, "How much you pay, man?" I've been at my current position for a long time, so I don't know what the etiquette is.
    In the interview, when they ask if You have any questions, ask "What are the typical hours and wages for an officer here?" although they may tell you in the interview.
    "Big City turn me loose and set me free."--Merle Haggard 'Big City'

"If somebody gets in your face and calls you a ----sucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."<--Patrick Swayze, Roadhouse.

Stop The World & Let Me Off.

Safety First, All Else Second.

Agreed during the interview during the any questions

I transferred back to my old employer a month ago and they'd have initially offered me lower pay than what I had with the company I worked for at the time, so I flat out told the interviewer that the present salary was an absolute requirement for me. It's more than what people usually get for what I do (mostly daytime mobile patrol and retail security, I also work at a concert arena of sorts occasionally and that's my only present site where employees are usually paid what I earn) and the interviewer said that they'd consider it.

So the next day they called me and told me that I'll get the job with the pay I wanted. But it helped out that I was a returning former employee with good references from all of my former managers at that company. I suppose in an usual interview situation it's best to bring the pay topic up only at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Security_K9_Guy View Post
    Agreed during the interview during the any questions
    Yes during interview time.
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

After being transferred into a site supervisory position I finally got grade IV pay, which in my honest opinion is decent enough for people pulling day shifts roughly starting from the morning and ending at afternoon hours.

I lost a good site after Christmas where I used to work and do weekend shifts very regularly as a "local officer" there, so needless to say the pay I got after I lost all the weekends pretty much forced me to do all the overtime hours the company offered me and thus I didn't have that many days off work. The grim reality was also that at the time my monthly pay was AT WORST just a few hundred €'s larger than what you would get from the unemployment office while doing "almost" absolutely nothing.. so welcome to the low-waged security industry here.

Things are pretty much better now and I feel that for once the company executives listened to my requests regarding the pay raise. I've actually worked for this company for four years now, been away from work due to illness for five days in the entire time, graduated from a vocational certificate programme and gone through several courses expanding my professional skills and knowledge regularly.

From what I've seen and heard, many of the bigger companies around here tend to lean on the collective wage agreement salaries and do not really give better pay grades to their employees that easily despite their job descriptions. Therefore one could say that I'm lucky to have the possibility to somewhat negotiate my pay in this company compared to the others.

I still do alot of overtime for the company, but for once the overtime pay is also starting to feel worth it after four years.
    Last edited by Jaeger; 05-02-2014 at 04:59 AM.

In my experience I have had to bring it up even though the starting pay is posted most of the time when they are looking for people. After all the majority of contract driven jobs are not commensurate paying anyway. A few companies I have applied with in the past I found things on their applications to be redundant. I think what they really are is a form of weeding out process made to look like they are wanting to "build" a character profile on you to find a position. They ask you what your salary range is and your preferences in hours, etc. but its already written in stone to begin with but I like to play devils advocate with them. When I ask about pay raises and etc they give me the contract driven speech BS and I then ask them as to why do you put such questions in your applications asking for salary preferences and job positions? One company manager called it placement performance referencing. Excuse me while I try not to gag or make a silly ass grin' really?
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-If you try to shoot the messenger, this one shoots back

-It's just a job kid, deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other