+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Consolewatcher View Post
    I agree, but there's two things to keep in mind:

1) It doesn't cost anyone any money to pass a protection law (unlike, for example, a law that raises wages to guards or increases the insurance costs).
    2) There isn't really anyone opposed to it (mainly because it doesn't cost anyone any money or take anything away from another group).

When you keep those two in mind, it seems a lot more possible for it to happen.
    1) like any good confidence man they will require money for services rendered unless it benefits them. Money is the lifeblood of politics so if it is not making them dollars it does not make sense . Every politician needs money for the reelection campaign so the high dollar, high profile bills are going to be the ones that garner the attention as it is going to get their name out there which is free advertising .

2) While no one opposes a protection bill for security guards what is going to be offensive is to over simplify the make it the same penalty as assaulting a sworn officer which some how conveys a rise in status equal to the police . We can all imagine some dumb ass starting a fight daring to be hit cause he is a security guard and this law just passed. Hell I have seen it and there is no such law in Maryland that I know of exist . Like hate crime legislation security is not a protected class but I will say that if the official policy change was a mandatory sentencing for assaults while on duty would do wonders to stopping these crime .
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Soper View Post
    There would be opposition. Again, why is security guard a protected class when it's more dangerous to deliver pizza or work at the qwiki mart? Citizens and businesses would have quite a say.

There is no need for a law such as this. Unlike a security guard, who has NO DUTY to take action, pizza guys HAVE to drive into harms way.
    A security guard has no legal duty to take action, and a pizza guy has no legal duty to deliver pizzas in the rough part of town. Both do it do some extent because if they don't they'll get fired.

Yeah, I realize that being a security guard is not the only class that should be a "protected" class. But would businesses really oppose it? I imagine security companies would support it (because it helps protect guards without costing them any money). I can't imagine that pizza restaurants and kwik-i-marts would actively oppose it on the grounds that they feel they should be covered too. As for citizens, I don't really think they would care either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Soper View Post
    Psychosteve,

You are dead wrong. The reason LE and FD have those laws is that we are providing a public service and an attack on us is an attack on society and the rule of law.

It's obvious that you have some jealousy and bias against cops, hence your idiotic comment about voting blocks being the reason for these laws being in effect.
    You my friend are ignorant of how politics truly is . for a state representative to run for reelection the average cost is going to be 50,000 that has to be made to run a bare bones election . Most of your state representatives campaigns are going to run into the 100,000 plus range if the seat is going to be highly contested . The Money has to come from some where, it does not magically appear from the money faerie it comes from fundraisers, donations and paid speaking arrangements where they get a chance to beg for more money. Between the PAC's, the unions , the special interest groups their vote is up for sale it is only what the cost is going to be for said vote. TV , radio , internet, mass mailers and print ads all cost money so in a weird cycle they have to beg for money to get more money to keep in office so they can beg for more money. With out organized numbers of voters the only other leveraging tool a group has is money. This was not a slight on LE and FD it was the cold hard truth about those parasites that hold public office. Money talks and BS walks so in this pay to play world everything is for sale . There is a huge difference between a whore and your whore. Both are out to F you over but one is being paid to be loyal for the time being so your not going to get bit hard.
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith