+ Reply to Thread

Default Ionia prosecutor: No charges in hospital incident

*** To all those who dislike the daily postings, I apologize. This one needs to be posted as an SO was assaulted (see earlier posting) and no charges against the perp ***

Ionia prosecutor: No charges in hospital incident

By Staff Report
    Posted Mar. 11, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

IONIA, Mich.

No charges will be filed in an alleged altercation between a 16-year-old and a security officer employed by Sparrow Ionia Hospital in the hospital's emergency room March 1.

"We have reviewed the information provided by the police, and there is not enough evidence to go forward with charges against the teenager or the hospital security guard,” said Ionia city prosecutor Thomas Chadwick.

Read more: http://www.sentinel-standard.com/art...#ixzz2vko5oNEM

Happens to LE out here all the time.

Stay safe.

Ah yes, "intent" vs. "accident." We've had the same problem - we had a '220' lady rip the keys out of the guard's hand and cut her in the process - even though it was a 4th degree assault, you usually you have a decent shot at a charge since she drew blood. All that happened is she had to write us a letter of apology.

If you can't prove intent, then it's a waste of time trying to take it to court.

Comes with the job. Majoroty of the time we're lucky to keep our jobs, and when dealing with juveniles it can be very difficult proving self defense not toention dodging a assault and battery case. This is my experience out here at least. He did good in the eyes of his employer, every situation is a lesson learned.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Lightbulb

Again, I quote Oscar Gamble-- "People don't think it be like it is, but it do."

True, they didn't charge the kid...But notice that they also did not charge the Hospital S/O, which is great.

ZM: Assuming there are cameras in the ER--which there are in every large hospital I've been in--wouldn't it be relatively easy to prove self defense and prove that an S/O didn't use unnecessary force thus negating any assault/battery charges brought against them?
    "Big City turn me loose and set me free."--Merle Haggard 'Big City'

"If somebody gets in your face and calls you a ----sucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."<--Patrick Swayze, Roadhouse.

Stop The World & Let Me Off.

Safety First, All Else Second.

At the end of the day, it's an adult (security officer) fighting a child (teen). That's how society sees it these days. Doesn't make it right, but again In my experience that's how it is.

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Quote Originally Posted by zm88 View Post
    At the end of the day, it's an adult (security officer) fighting a child (teen). That's how society sees it these days. Doesn't make it right, but again In my experience that's how it is.
    Society is dying from a case of sepsis caused by a build-up of bs....You are right, it would be seen as a adult fighting with a teen, but the fact of the matter is: If you're old enough and "man" enough at 16 to start fighting with adults/security/LE, then you should be able able to take your lumps like a grown-ass man would...Ofcourse there's the whole "Well, Security/LE could be the bigger man and not get into a fight" Unfortunately, to the liberal halfwits who say that, I respond: Sometimes, people are just out to harm you, no amount of "being the bigger man" is going to prevent the incident from occurring. You just gotta use your hands instead of your brain in some situations.
    Last edited by UnsupervisedCanadian; 03-14-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Swapped Out one rant for another, I can do that, my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

"If somebody gets in your face and calls you a ----sucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."<--Patrick Swayze, Roadhouse.

Don't get me wrong, I've put quite a few overzealous fake tough guys in their place over the years. When it comes down to you vs me, I'm doing whatever I have to so ME goes home. Society sees it black & white, we all know there's a whole lot of grey.

Quote Originally Posted by zm88 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I've put quite a few overzealous fake tough guys in their place over the years. When it comes down to you vs me, I'm doing whatever I have to so ME goes home. Society sees it black & white, we all know there's a whole lot of grey.
    Oh yeah, wasn't saying anything about you, ZM...Just a general rant on how society takes things, not being able to see the grey areas until it happens to them. Basically, they MMQB security and law enforcement, their outcries result in tactics being changed--which is fine until some punk knocks them down and goes to lay the boots to them, then suddenly we're too gentle and we should be allowed to use whatever means neccessary...Well, we tried that and you didn't like it, so we're doing it your way; you're welcome

Ultimately, I'm like you, IDGAF whose eyes are on me, or what their half-baked opinion of my "oppressive tactics and aggressive demeanor" is...I am going home at the end of my shift, and I will be doing so in my POV, unharmed, with maybe one hair out of place. I will do whatever I have to do to make that happen.