+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

The problem with civillian oversight is that you'll have people who for the most part have no personal knowledge of LE practices, private or public sector. It'd be like the manager in handbags or fragrence trying to tell my guys the proper way to apprehend someone. Different worlds
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Quote Originally Posted by zm88 View Post
    The problem with civillian oversight is that you'll have people who for the most part have no personal knowledge of LE practices, private or public sector. It'd be like the manager in handbags or fragrence trying to tell my guys the proper way to apprehend someone. Different worlds
    ZM88, I agree that civilian oversight boards have a hard time with the “reasonable person” view of LE events. I have faced civilian oversight boards twice while working as a 50% cop years ago (FYI – I was found OK in both events). What gets lost though is that public police is supposed to work for the civilian populace and civilians should, by design, be the ultimate watchdogs for any abuse of power.

Quote Originally Posted by vfc859 View Post
    Disagreeing is fine.

Do you understand why people think that police agencies should have civilian oversight though?

And by the way, when I say public oversight I DO NOT mean that you have to let OPSEC slip and make classified information public. What I am referring to are more general things, crime statistics, basic non-sensitive training information (i.e. does the person in the car that says School/Hospital/Special/Company Police have the same training and qualifications as the person in the car that says City Police/County Sheriff/State Trooper)
    I do not necessarily believe in civilian over site esp of private entities. I do believe that the organization that authorized the agency to act as police needs to oversee it. I also do not believe that the public in general needs to know any of that.
    Yes, it is fine that you disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGuard View Post
    ZM88, I agree that civilian oversight boards have a hard time with the “reasonable person” view of LE events. I have faced civilian oversight boards twice while working as a 50% cop years ago (FYI – I was found OK in both events). What gets lost though is that public police is supposed to work for the civilian populace and civilians should, by design, be the ultimate watchdogs for any abuse of power.
    The LE in question is private so they are not responsible to the Citizens generally,but to their private employer. also citizens (non MP Police are also civilians) are the watch dogs...via their elected officials and the courts.

Default Update on this

Bill would make CP police reports public

Tom Jackson Sandusky Resister Mar 18, 2014

“The only thing we’re interested in is Ohioans’ rights to public information”

Records from Cedar Point’s police force aren’t as accessible to the public as reports from the Sandusky and Perkins police departments because Cedar Point is a private company.

But a bill in the Ohio House would change that. House Bill 429 would require private police forces in amusement parks, college campuses, hospitals and other locations to make their records available under Ohio’s public records laws, just as government police departments do.

Read the story...