+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    Thanks Cope.

I will be 58 in March, a few years to young to retire. When I reach 65 there are provincial & federal pensions. I could collect unemployment for a year but it is only 55% of your salary. (Used to be much higher until the Conservatives came into power LOL!)

We own a Holiday Inn near the airport. The guy who works there is paid by the Holiday Inn that is closing. I have seniority over him so I'm going there. However there are rumours in the media that this one might close too. They want to cut my salary there too, maybe by as much as $3.00/hour.

Plan B is to go to the Crowne Plaza next door to the Holiday Inn. It's security works directly for it although I supervise them & am on their payroll, again with seniority. Again however, a pay cut.

When things calm down a bit I plan to go directly to see the owner & see if I can negotiate my salary & benefits. He is about to build a small hotel on the other side of the airport & will still need someone to supervise all 3.
    I know this does not help much, but sometimes things happen for reasons we do not know why
    Perhaps a better opportunity, or better job
    But keep us updated

BTW:

"I could collect unemployment for a year but it is only 55% of your salary. (Used to be much higher until the Conservatives came into power LOL!)"
    That is true even if liberals are in power, at least in Massachusetts
    It is more like 50%
    But one can collect up to 99 weeks
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Damn HS, I am sorry to hear that .....

Keep a stiff upper lip and keep your options open ... I am very sure that someone with your experience will be able to land something. Not sure about Canada, but down here age doens't seem to be as much of a detriment to finding a good job in security as it is in other careers. You sound like you are doing the right thing ... you have a plan, goals and a way to get things done. Guys of our age aren't really the type to sit in a corner and whine about, "Whoa is meeeee, boo-hoo ..."

I know it may sound trite ... but Cope is right. Things do happen for a reason. I honestly believe you will land on your feet ... the landing may be a little bumpy but that's what good shoes are for.

I will keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer for you. Keep us up to speed.
    "You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my Master."

Quote Originally Posted by Son-Of-A-Pilot View Post
    Not sure about Canada, but down here age doens't seem to be as much of a detriment to finding a good job in security as it is in other careers. You sound like you are doing the right thing ... you have a plan, goals and a way to get things done. Guys of our age aren't really the type to sit in a corner and whine about, "Whoa is meeeee, boo-hoo ..."
    Give me the old gal, or old guy most anytime
    There are bums in the lot of older guys, and good people who youngsters
    But as alluded by Pilot your age maybe a plus
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Anyone know anything about Student Residence Security?

The new owners have expressed interest in keeping Security & Maintenance.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

I worked dormitory security at a college for awhile. All I know is obviously how the U.S. does it, Canada may be different (or so I've heard).

I'd try for a private college. They tend to want people who are more customer service oriented, can project a friendly image, and can handle problems in a way that won't alienate the clients (in this case, the students and their tuition paying parents). Your hotel experience (IMHO) would be perfect.

In the states the public universities are run by the state, and they are required to have police departments. Unless you are enrolling as a student, the security positions tend to be work study jobs for the students. This isn't true, however, for larger facilities - I know University of Washington has police and trained security officers (not student employees) that have to have certifications, etc.

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Condo Guard View Post
    I worked dormitory security at a college for awhile. All I know is obviously how the U.S. does it, Canada may be different (or so I've heard).

I'd try for a private college. They tend to want people who are more customer service oriented, can project a friendly image, and can handle problems in a way that won't alienate the clients (in this case, the students and their tuition paying parents). Your hotel experience (IMHO) would be perfect.

In the states the public universities are run by the state, and they are required to have police departments. Unless you are enrolling as a student, the security positions tend to be work study jobs for the students. This isn't true, however, for larger facilities - I know University of Washington has police and trained security officers (not student employees) that have to have certifications, etc.
    I'm not looking to move. A US company that runs PRIVATE student residences has bought my hotel & 2 other downtown hotels. Apparently they want to buy a 3rd. They want 4000 beds. McGill university has already bought 3 downtown hotels & turned them into student residences. Apparently it's big business. Quebec has the lowest tuition rate in North America & we are getting lots of foreign students. They might be offering me a job. They have offered a job to the engineer.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

That's good news; I obviously misunderstood. As you've seen on other threads, new owners many times will keep present staff if they're good because they don't have to train them on the facility, just their way of doing things.

Hopefully you won't have to take a pay cut. Years ago I worked at a place that fired the guard co. (it was a moot point because they were going out of business anyways). The day before I thought I was out of a job, they approached me and one other guy and told us to not say anything to the others, but they wanted us to stay on and to show up on Monday. I was happily surprised.