+ Reply to Thread

Default How to shine a badge?

Normally I keep my badges looking nice by using warm soap and water on them.

I started a hospital security gig the other day. They issued me 2 identically numbered badges. Problem is, one is darker then the other, as if it were tarnished. How do I restore it to a nice glossy shine again? I tried toothpaste and it didnt seem to do good. I was told not to use Brasso (or similar) on it as it takes the coating off.

Also, anyone know how to make the letters black again? Some letters are missing..lol

The badges are made by Smith & Warren.
    Last edited by FireEMSPolice; 01-14-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Default How To Shine A Badge?

http://www.smithwarren.com/index.html

There is a contact us on their website. I would go right to the source and ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    http://www.smithwarren.com/index.html

There is a contact us on their website. I would go right to the source and ask them.
    Did that prior to my post but I am afraid they will say "send them in" which I cant.

Anyone else?

The trouble with Brasso is once you use it, you're using it all the time to kep up the shine.

Same with those "miracle" liquids that you just dip your silverware, coins, etc. in and they instantly shine. (I don't know if they even sell that stuff anymore - it was probably toxic and bad for the envirornment).

Maybe Boraxo, but I'd do a test spot first - and if regular soap didn't work it probably won't do much better.

Once I shined silver plated badges for everyone in a few minutes with just some silver polish I found in the hardware store. Most jewellery stores have it as well. Once it's shined up just wipe with a silver cloth once in a while and it's good for years. I remember they ordered new badges and were going to throw the old ones away because they thought they were worn out, I just put some of the silver paste on them like you use for fine table silverware, gave them a rinse with water and they all came out nice and shiny just like new.

Find a new guy, hand him the badge and a rag and tell him to figure it out

Seriously, what is the badge? Rhodium? Nickel?

I know that in some cases the numbers/letters are darkened by adding an acid into the engraving to turn the engraved areas black...Maybe take it into an engraving place and see if they can redo it?
    "Big City turn me loose and set me free."--Merle Haggard 'Big City'

"If you don't know what you're doin, do it fast!"--Si Robertson.

Stop The World & Let Me Off.

Some say I'm a dreamer....Other's say if they catch me sleeping at work again I'm gone....

Safety First, All Else Second.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect the thoughts or opinions of my respective agency.....Or those of any rational human being.

Smith & Warren never responded