+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Actually when I knock on a door to ask a guest to be quieter I say "Sécurité/Security". No Officier, agent gardien etc.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

On our security permit it states Guard Registration and regardless if your Delta or Seal team six in the eyes of BSIS your a guard. In training and on the test it states were to observe and report. I don't know how long were keep our job if we just observe and report and not discounting being sued for negligence.
    I worked for a Guard service that's what I call a company of untrained warm bodies , anyway one of the employees told the owner he was going to a three combat shooting and tactics course and the employer tried to discourage him from going , then on the guard service web page it states that their officers are highly trained professionals. Wow, what a joke. This the same owner who sends his guys to get signed off on their permits because that can't qualify. Their professional like IM a Doctor.

I 'ID' myself as "this is Squid, the Se-cur-ity Guard on duty at (the site)" over the phone. "guard" works better than 'officer'. You say "officer" and they might think you are referring to a real cop(3rd party).

Companies all use "Officer" intra-office to try to instill some sense of 'professionalism' in their near min wage employees.

I'd use 'guard' unless your duties include some real heavy duty signing in and out etc with legal ramifications.

That is because it works the best for them to understand WTF is calling them. It helps to use two related words to convey a 'meaning' because folks often 'miss' a single one word bit of info, especially in the 'intro'.

I'd use 'guard' unless your duties include some real heavy duty signing in and out etc with legal ramifications.

I don't like "public" because many towns have "Dept of Public Safety" which is cops and fire dept.....AND like others have said we are PRIVATE and in all our required training it is stressed if we see ANYTHING going on 'off site' we are ONLY to 'call police' and even before 'continuing to observe' we are supposed to think "Is all that ghetto nonsense going on over there to distract ME off my site???"

Likewise, we are told to put CLIENT'S interest first, not "the public". Might be nice for "public" to take short cut across client's property, but degrades client's interest.

In Oakland CA they got 'Public Safety Ambassadors' kids who seem to be like some private security strolling downtown but working for "the city".

"public" means "Government"(fed, state or local) to most people.

I'd be afraid of being accused of "impersonating a police office" by using the "P word". Some crack-head is gonna tell the real cops "he said he was the police" if they hear 'public safety' and a gaggle of crack-heads will back that up. Then the real cops are gonna think you maybe DID say you were a cop, just to scare the crack-heads off the parking lot and then the cops are gonna peg you as "one of those kinda guards".
    Last edited by Squid; 12-28-2013 at 04:08 PM.

You got it, Squid. CYA. There's always some idiot that wants to get you in trouble, and a lot of them know that "impersonating an officer" is the one thing that puts the fear of God in the average (sensible) S/O.

Its one reason why I have to remember to self identify always, even if I if get out of my co. vehicle that has the word "Security" written in 6" letters on the side. And if I get a feeling that said idiot is going to pull that card, I always put in my report something to the effect of, "...was in full uniform with 'Security' hat and patch clearly visible to subject..."

No one has called me anything but, "sir" to my face since I first started in security in '03. When I work patrol in a community and I answer a call, stop to handle any kind of disturbance or question a potential trespasser, I introduce myself as the patrol officer on duty. I ask how I can assist them and if they would like the Sheriff's Office called. I write up my incident report and in the space where it says responding officer, I print my name.
    "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

I'm not liking "patrol officer" because it sounds like something a real cop might call himself. Tell someone that over the phone about some problem you were called to and my guess is 3/4 of people will assume you are a real cop.

Can't remember any cop actually calling himself or any other cops that, but they do have "Desk Officer" so....what would the guy out driving around be called?

I'd always want to work in at least one of either "security", "private" or "guard" in any interaction with public.

When I answer the phone, I say "First-Aid/Security _______ Mine." Documents from the security company vary between 'guard' and 'officer.' Pt. Assessment Forms say First Aid Attendant. Being we are contractors, our uniforms just have the company patch and Security patch on the left chest as per the PSISA, and a lot of u/g contractors on the site don't know that we are also in charge of first aid at the mine (despite the giant sign on the building that says FIRST AID-SECURITY on it.....)

When it comes to what I prefer, I don't give a damn. I'm just happy to be employed. Treat me good and I'll call myself whatever you want.
    "Big City turn me loose and set me free."--Merle Haggard 'Big City'

"If you don't know what you're doin, do it fast!"--Si Robertson.

Stop The World & Let Me Off.

Some say I'm a dreamer....Other's say if they catch me sleeping at work again I'm gone....

Safety First, All Else Second.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect the thoughts or opinions of my respective agency.....Or those of any rational human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I'm not liking "patrol officer" because it sounds like something a real cop might call himself. Tell someone that over the phone about some problem you were called to and my guess is 3/4 of people will assume you are a real cop.

Can't remember any cop actually calling himself or any other cops that, but they do have "Desk Officer" so....what would the guy out driving around be called?

I'd always want to work in at least one of either "security", "private" or "guard" in any interaction with public.
    When I said, "answer a call", I wasn't referring to answering the phone. I'm referring to being dispatched, in one form or another to a "call". When I reach the scene of the call, I'm wearing a clearly marked uniform which states that I'm security. When I then knock on the homeowner's door, stop at their wrecked vehicle or what have you it's, "Good day/evening, sir/ma'am. I'm the patrol officer on duty, how may I assist you?" When I answer the phone, I use whatever greeting the company protocol stipulates... "Security." Or, "Hello, this is security officer tacticalguy. How may I assist you?" Etc, etc...
    "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.