+ Reply to Thread
    Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Default Security Fuard companies -1 Police - 0

It seems private security companies in Montreal might have won.

Like most North American cities Montreal Police provided Paid Duty Officers to businesses. We hired them every year for the past 4 or 5 years to work at 2 of our hotels on New Years Eve.

Apparently the Police have stopped this service.

A new Security Guard Act was passed in 2010. It does not aloow Police Officers to work as Security Guards. It also greatly increased the fees for private security companies & the individual guards. The private security companies complained that the Police were taking work away from them. We went to book our Police Officers for this December 31 & were told that the service is no longer available.

In 1 way it is probably for the better. The Police were charging over $80/hour & you had to hire at least 2. For $160 we can hired 6 special event Security Guards that have the same powers as the police in situations that they witness.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

My company ended up dumping PD as security when they significantly raised their rates. (Like your hotel, we hired them once a year for the annual owner meeting after having some very disorderly conduct one year.)

The law is a bit short sighted - there are situations where having a police officer working as or with security guards is the most efficient protection.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    It seems private security companies in Montreal might have won.

Like most North American cities Montreal Police provided Paid Duty Officers to businesses. We hired them every year for the past 4 or 5 years to work at 2 of our hotels on New Years Eve.

Apparently the Police have stopped this service.

A new Security Guard Act was passed in 2010. It does not aloow Police Officers to work as Security Guards. It also greatly increased the fees for private security companies & the individual guards. The private security companies complained that the Police were taking work away from them. We went to book our Police Officers for this December 31 & were told that the service is no longer available.

In 1 way it is probably for the better. The Police were charging over $80/hour & you had to hire at least 2. For $160 we can hired 6 special event Security Guards that have the same powers as the police in situations that they witness.
    What training do these special event security guards have? It is one thing to have the 'power' to do something. It is another thing to be trained to do that thing properly and comfortably. For example, as a fire police officer, I have the power to arrest someone committing an assault when I'm on duty. However, I don't have proper training in arrest procedure, report writing or self defense, so I won't do it.