+ Reply to Thread

Default Some Really Helpful Courses

Howdy y'all,

I just wanted to talk about some training courses that I've taken that have really helped me throughout my time as a First-Aid & Security Officer.

ICS-100 (Incident Command) gives it's students the tools to function as a responder within the incident command system.

Accessible Customer Service for Emergency Responders--Teaches responders how to communicate with people with a variety of disabilities...A must if you work with the public, or with vulernable populations.

Inspection & Testing of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems--For those individuals whose duties involve inspecting their facility's fire suppression systems and extinguishers.

Disaster Behavioural Health--"Psychological First Aid" will come in handy if you ever have a major incident at your place of work, it will help you see "where people are at" by talking to them after experiencing a major accident (think the SARS outbreak, the NJ mall shooting, or the Sarin attack on the subway)

Admittedly, I just go online and look for different courses that are somehow related to my job so I can gain more knowledge (yes people, I learn stuff for fun)

Have any of you folks taken those free FEMA modules online? (or your national equivelant for my fellow Canucks and brothers from other continents)
    "Big City turn me loose and set me free."--Merle Haggard 'Big City'

"If you don't know what you're doin, do it fast!"--Si Robertson.

Stop The World & Let Me Off.

Some say I'm a dreamer....Other's say if they catch me sleeping at work again I'm gone....

Safety First, All Else Second.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect the thoughts or opinions of my respective agency.....Or those of any rational human being.

At one point the FEMA courses and others relating to NIMS interested me, but I have since been more geared towars investigative courses. Im still looking for anything surveillence related in the boston area, but the few I have found were quite expensive and gave me the impression they were a scam. AlliedBartons online training has a huge library of free training which I took advantage of ranhing from customer service, MARSEC, DHS SAR course and many others.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Quebec requires 1 first aider per 50 employees. A 16 hour First Aid in the Workplace course is offered FREE by the CSST. (Quebec's OHSA).
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

ZM,

Have you looked at S2 Institutes on line stuff? It's not free, but they are pretty good and I've enjoyed taking them.