+ Reply to Thread

Cool Introduction and Thoughts

Hi Everyone,

My name is Red, currently employed as a First-Aid & Security Officer for an industrial site and formerly I was employed as a Psych Ward S/O, ER S/O, and Asst. Super for the hospital

When I worked the ward (I was also in charge of the main ward) I used to be friendly with the patients and chat with them, but the nurses hated it, and I always wondered why--yeah, yeah, I know they're mentally ill, I'd seen enough of their behaviour to establish that on my own, I understood where I was--I just wondered because being friendly with the patients put them at ease and made for a pleasent shift for everyone.

Consider a person with severe anxiety and past trauma who is acting out because of fear of a new environment and a bunch of cold, callous staff members asking them questions from every direction...UoF is a possible intervention IF someone is in immediate danger from their acting out, but is a 200lb chunk of meat coming, physically restraining them, putting them in a room and bolting the door really going to ease their anxiety and calm them any?

I know I will get some great thoughts on this as I am a longtime lerker of the forums and have seen some damn smart cookies hanging around here, who I hope to get to know...I also hope to become one of Corbier's Commandos.

Don't Sweat The Petty Stuff, Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff,
    Stay Safe,

Redd.
    Last edited by UnsupervisedCanadian; 11-24-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: TMI

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Welcome my fellow Canadian!

Can't really answer your question. Many many many years ago I worked 1 summer at one of Montreal's two biggests psychiatric hospitals for Pinkerton. We were there only because iut was an insurance requirement. Our orders were to walk around the very large grounds & be seen but not to interact with anyone. We patrolled solo & did not even have a walkie-talkie to call for someone if anyone came to us for anything.

BTW Nathan Corbier has not posted on the forum for years now. I'm Friends with him on Facebook.
    Last edited by Curtis Baillie; 11-24-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Gave someone's personal health information.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

Hotel, my Quebec brother! Thanks for the welcome.

Eesh, being without a Portable while alone would drive me up the wall...I'm real into occupational health & safety to the point where it will become my career soon, so Working Alone and officer safety are 2 things I put a lot of emphasis on. Plus, I care about my people.

I didn't think I had seen any posts from him in awhile...Does combatcoastie still post? He did an awesome write-up about hospital security that I wound up bookmarking.
    "Big City turn me loose and set me free."--Merle Haggard 'Big City'

"If somebody gets in your face and calls you a ----sucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."<--Patrick Swayze, Roadhouse.

Stop The World & Let Me Off.

Safety First, All Else Second.