+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb moving towards my ASIS-PSP certification, and need some help

Dears,

this my first post here,

I'm safety and security system engineer planning to get my ASIS-PSP physical security professional certification... i was searching over the internet for some help , study tips, ideas and advices from the professionals... well , i found a lot of them here...
    SO,

I've been reading about it since while but it don't know where to start ... i have the 8 reference books and i have some questions to ask:
    • is there is any supporting simplified materials for these books?( i.e. for dummies, flashcards, exam preparation, Q&A) like PMP for example?
    • what is the time frame required to finalize the materials and apply for exam?
    • is there is any preparation courses offered by ASIS for PSP? like PMP they have 35 hour of exam preparation.
    • any other external materials are advisable?
    • anyone have PSP study guide and would like to share with me?
    • what is the best technique to pass the exam from the first time?
    • where can i find more info about the exam- expect ASIS.org?

well, that's good as start,
    will be waiting for your valuable feedback,

cheers,
    Last edited by mahmoudnasr; 11-10-2013 at 02:16 AM.

I would become a member of ASIS, as they have CPP, PSP, and PCI review sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1289 View Post
    I would become a member of ASIS, as they have CPP, PSP, and PCI review sessions.
    i'll do so , but i need to know more about what i mentioned above

There are no quick cheat sheets. It's designed to be hard. You have to know the subject fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Soper View Post
    There are no quick cheat sheets. It's designed to be hard. You have to know the subject fully.
    thanks for your reply...

but i still need some answers for the questions above...

any one guys? come on... i need the advice from the PSPs who acquire it already...

Quote Originally Posted by mahmoudnasr View Post
    thanks for your reply...

but i still need some answers for the questions above...

any one guys? come on... i need the advice from the PSPs who acquire it already...
    Maybe this page will help you out.

is there is any supporting simplified materials for these books?( i.e. for dummies, flashcards, exam preparation, Q&A) like PMP for example?

- No Cliff Notes or official flash cards. There are a number of ASIS certification prep courses held throughout the year; however, the prep courses are designed to teach you how to study for the exam, not provide you with answers to the test questions.

what is the time frame required to finalize the materials and apply for exam?

- It depends on how long it takes you to read the books/reference material. Could be two months, or two years.

is there is any preparation courses offered by ASIS for PSP? like PMP they have 35 hour of exam preparation.

- See answer #1. There is an on-line prep, but it really doesn't prepare you for the actual exam. Don't waste the money. Read the books!

any other external materials are advisable?

NO! Read the books. The exam questions come directly from the reference material (books).

anyone have PSP study guide and would like to share with me?

The study guide is similar to the on-line prep. Don't waste your time- Read the books.

what is the best technique to pass the exam from the first time?

- Read the books

where can i find more info about the exam- expect ASIS.org?

- Curtis answered this for you

Hints-

1. Look at the exam domain on the webpage, create your own outline from the domain, and base your study/reading from the outline.

2. Don't waste your time or money on external study guides or prep courses.

I am a CPP, but I am sure the PSP is similar. ASIS goes through great lengths to make the tests passible for someone deserving of certification. The tests are built purposely so that it’s just not something you can pump-n-dump to get the certification. Like other folks already said, read the books and get experience in the field. If you are truly a physical security professional, you will be able to pass the test without studying.

All that being said, you will find 48-hour pump-n-dump sessions hosted in hotels all over the country. Just to a web search. Most cost arround $1000 for the two-day cram session.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra 1 View Post
    is there is any supporting simplified materials for these books?( i.e. for dummies, flashcards, exam preparation, Q&A) like PMP for example?

- No Cliff Notes or official flash cards. There are a number of ASIS certification prep courses held throughout the year; however, the prep courses are designed to teach you how to study for the exam, not provide you with answers to the test questions.

what is the time frame required to finalize the materials and apply for exam?

- It depends on how long it takes you to read the books/reference material. Could be two months, or two years.

is there is any preparation courses offered by ASIS for PSP? like PMP they have 35 hour of exam preparation.

- See answer #1. There is an on-line prep, but it really doesn't prepare you for the actual exam. Don't waste the money. Read the books!

any other external materials are advisable?

NO! Read the books. The exam questions come directly from the reference material (books).

anyone have PSP study guide and would like to share with me?

The study guide is similar to the on-line prep. Don't waste your time- Read the books.

what is the best technique to pass the exam from the first time?

- Read the books

where can i find more info about the exam- expect ASIS.org?

- Curtis answered this for you

Hints-

1. Look at the exam domain on the webpage, create your own outline from the domain, and base your study/reading from the outline.

2. Don't waste your time or money on external study guides or prep courses.
    thanks a lot man, seems like a tough job is waiting for me

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGuard View Post
    I am a CPP, but I am sure the PSP is similar. ASIS goes through great lengths to make the tests passible for someone deserving of certification. The tests are built purposely so that it’s just not something you can pump-n-dump to get the certification. Like other folks already said, read the books and get experience in the field. If you are truly a physical security professional, you will be able to pass the test without studying.

All that being said, you will find 48-hour pump-n-dump sessions hosted in hotels all over the country. Just to a web search. Most cost arround $1000 for the two-day cram session.
    thanks a lot ...

That's why it's hard. You don't seem to understand that's it's not meant to be something you just guess at and get a certificate. Some things you have to WORK at, not just google your way through a situation.